Pork Butt on a Windless Day

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Grabbed a ~7.5lb butt at Wegman's last week and finally got around to cooking it today. It was gorgeous - low 80's, low humidity and, great for smoking, almost no wind to speak of. Nothing fancy, just a butt on the WSM. Did the Modified Armadillo Willy's rub, and mixed it with a little leftover Championship Chris Lily rub that I had laying around. I'm fresh out of hickory, and used a combo of cherry and pecan with this one and a modified Minion with half a chimney of lit charcoal in the middle of the ring, surrounded by unlit and the smoke wood. Charcoal was K Pro that I recently acquired during the Costco sale.

1593134081243.jpeg

1593134108517.jpeg

1593134143043.jpeg

1593134162168.jpeg

I put the butt on at 8:10am and took it off about 5:45. I used an empty, foiled water pan. Temps locked in at 240F and pretty much stayed there the entire cook. Vents were all at about 25%. At about the 4 hour mark, I moved one vent to about 50%, as temps had dropped to about 230F. It got back to 240 and stayed until the last hour - dome was at about 220 when I took the butt off - butt a little over 190. The bone pulled out cleanly, then the butt got double wrapped in HD foil and a towel and set in a cooler for an hour while I made the 'Bastardized Piedmont Sauce'. Pulled it and had sandwiches - no sides, just some cut up cukes, carrots and peppers (I got lazy). Good stuff and I'm looking forward to using the leftovers in omelettes, tacos, nachos, etc.

Last edited:
That looks great, Jim.....a bit of heat in that Piedmont sauce? :)

R

A little, but not too much. Looks intimidating with all those red pepper flakes though. I usually use about 2/3 of the prescribed amount though.

Last edited:
Jim,
The bark on that is butt is fabulous. I picked up a 7.5 lb butt yesterday on sale for $1.29 a pound. It's going on tomorrow morning. It will be the first attempt at putting a butt on in the morning for that days dinner since I got my WSM. Hope I can have as much success as you.

9-1/2 hours for a butt that size is really nice. It seems I always wind up getting close to 2 hrs/lb before it's done.
The first 8 and a half pound shoulder I did on the WSM at 275 it took 9 hours almost to the minute. I was planning for around double that time so it was done way early. Next I keep the WSM at 250 and it took me 12 hours for an 8 pounder. I have a 7 and a half pounder ready to go on tomorrow at 6 am the goal is to run hot at 275 and try to get it done by 4 pm to wrap for an hour and serve by 5... I know it is risky, but it's my birthday so why not go for it. I used to do them at 225 and then would go 18 to 20 hours, but going hotter I have not seen much of an effect on the quality of food.

Very impressive Jim. Looks and sounds delicious. Gotta go along on what Brad said. I've never cooked a butt that size in that amount of time. I can remember a couple of 10:00 dinners of shame when I thought I was going to. :mad: I stick with water in the pan and usually a pit temp of 225 or so. Guess that's it. I printed a copy of Keri's Bastardized Piedmont sauce and will try on my next butt. Like the sound of your salad too.

Very impressive Jim. Looks and sounds delicious. Gotta go along on what Brad said. I've never cooked a butt that size in that amount of time. I can remember a couple of 10:00 dinners of shame when I thought I was going to. :mad: I stick with water in the pan and usually a pit temp of 225 or so. Guess that's it. I printed a copy of Keri's Bastardized Piedmont sauce and will try on my next butt. Like the sound of your salad too.
So I did a 7.5 lb shoulder today. I put it on right at 6 am and run the WSM 14 (with water in pan, using Weber Briquettes) between 265 and 285 all day. I pulled it at 5:15 pm at 196 temp and it was pretty close, if I had a little longer I would have given it move time. I let it sit open for 30 mins then pulled it. All pulled perfect except one center portion of meat. This was my first time doing a morning start. I will most likely go back to over night cooks and try to run a little lower (250 ish) and let myself have ample time. I much rather having more time then to feel crunched. Or if I could have redone today I would have tried foiling the shoulder (I have yet to do this) after the bark was set to see if it would have been ready earlier. I don't think I will go back to cooking at 225 again though.

Back