Popcorn

Thanks, I'll try ghee.

Any idea on a substitute to Cabot Cheddar Shake, that tastes more like cheese than salt? Since Cheddar Shake is discontinued.

The Urban Accents White Cheddar was too salty. Cabot Cheddar Shake had a good cheese taste, not salty.

My 3.5 lbs. of ghee arrived. It was a mistake to buy that much. I should have kept it to the same jar size as my Golden Barrel buttered coconut oil.

As I'd probably be using around the same proportions of both, when making a batch. So that way I don't have too much of one thing.

2 lb. of Golden Barrel took me two years anyways, so 3.5 lbs of ghee might take me 3 - 4 years.

Thanks, I'll try ghee.

Any idea on a substitute to Cabot Cheddar Shake, that tastes more like cheese than salt? Since Cheddar Shake is discontinued.

The Urban Accents White Cheddar was too salty. Cabot Cheddar Shake had a good cheese taste, not salty.

So, the Urban Accents White Cheddar tastes salty when I have it on its own (like when I pour some on my hand, and eat it).

When it's actually sprinkled on popcorn, it's a little better. Doesn't taste as salty.

Still not as good as Cabot Cheddar Shake, and still more salty than I'd want, but it's not terrible anymore.

So if I can't find something else, I'd get this again.

When I made my previous post, I was thinking I definitely wasn't going to get this again, no matter what.

My 3.5 lbs. of ghee arrived. It was a mistake to buy that much. I should have kept it to the same jar size as my Golden Barrel buttered coconut oil.

As I'd probably be using around the same proportions of both, when making a batch. So that way I don't have too much of one thing.

2 lb. of Golden Barrel took me two years anyways, so 3.5 lbs of ghee might take me 3 - 4 years.

The last few times I made popcorn i used ghee and popcorn salt to pop it and then melted some more ghee to add after. Really tasty.

The last few times I made popcorn i used ghee and popcorn salt to pop it and then melted some more ghee to add after. Really tasty.

I've now made popcorn a few times with ghee.

I do like how it seems to bring the salt out getter. I think it helps the salt stick to the popcorn better.

However, I also think there's a funny aftertaste. I don't feel the same aftertaste with movie theater butter.

I don't know if it's the brand of ghee that I bought. What did you buy?

I've now made popcorn a few times with ghee.

I do like how it seems to bring the salt out getter. I think it helps the salt stick to the popcorn better.

However, I also think there's a funny aftertaste. I don't feel the same aftertaste with movie theater butter.

I don't know if it's the brand of ghee that I bought. What did you buy?

I've used several brands, but the current is this

Screenshot_20201027-183156.png

And

Screenshot_20201027-183433.png

I've liked it so far.

<scratches head> I must be a little strange, the concept of purchasing ready-made ghee is completely foreign to me. It's really not that difficult to make, but it is a little time consuming. Granted, you do need a heavy bottomed sauce pot and good low heat capability. Come to think of it, this would be a great application for an induction cook.

I've used several brands, but the current is this

View attachment 16901

And

View attachment 16902

I've liked it so far.
Okay, I just made some popcorn and damn if I didn't hit s sweet spot.

Range top burner on high, solid layer of peanut oil in bottom of sauce pan. Added popcorn and the popcorn salt from above. Shake to mix well. Once it starts popping I hold the pan lid so that it holds the popcorn in but let's as much steam out as possible. When it's half or a little more done, I turn off the burner and remove pot while shaking it lightly to have as many kernels pop as possible.

I melted 1 tablespoon of ghee and poured half the popped popcorn in a large bowl and added half the melted ghee, then added the rest of the popcorn and the last of the ghee.

Popcorn came out perfectly crunchy with no soggy, and the peanut oil is very light and doesn't alter the flavor.

Back