Poly twine in B&B charcoal

Well...... this is the reason that I only burn lump charcoal. Briquettes are the hot dogs of the charcoal world. Just think of all the stuff that you don't see in them. You know like rat droppings, bugs that got mixed in the manufacturing process & then the DNA of them mixed into all the charcoal. So everytime that you light it you get a little rat DNA into your food. Sounds real guud don't it? And you know that it happens all the time.
Well, happy Q'ing. Doesn't JD lump look better all the time? LOL

I’ve never had a problem with that charcoal.
That response letter sure looks and smells like a pre made one size fits all that their legal department drafted up who knows how long ago.
It’s not a bad thing at all it just sure isn’t a personal reply to your situation.

The twine is a bit concerning due to the plastic content and in the old days, the twine for hay bales had rat poison in it, so mice and rats wouldn't eat the twine off the hay bales. But I don't think that is the case anymore.

I guess I was wondering if B&B would go downhill after they got sold a couple years ago (was it to Duraflame as someone posted above?). They are my low and slow go to, so I would probably switch to Jealous Devil briquettes for LAS if more of this is found in the B&B.

The twine is a bit concerning due to the plastic content and in the old days, the twine for hay bales had rat poison in it, so mice and rats wouldn't eat the twine off the hay bales. But I don't think that is the case anymore.
Hrrrm. I don't recall ever seeing a poison warning on the sisal binder twine Dad used (I'm remembering back to the early '70s.) Wouldn't surprise me in the least that it was, though.

Hrrrm. I don't recall ever seeing a poison warning on the sisal binder twine Dad used (I'm remembering back to the early '70s.) Wouldn't surprise me in the least that it was, though.
You might be right. Our boy scout troop scoutmaster always said it was in there and I know I saw that it wasn't used in current twine. I had plenty of rat poisoning if it was in there as I moved a lot of hay working on the farm.....

I'm not a native farmer but I live on a small farm, sorta. The wife isn't familiar with treated twine but it might be a thing, though I don't know how it's treated. Elsewhere I saw a brief comment regarding rodenticide in some twine but I cannot comment on its authenticity.

1694271046213.png

Son just bought 4 bags B&B from Rural King.
I'm gonna tell him to keep an eye out for this.

I've been finding stuff like this in my bags of B&B lump charcoal for the last couple of years, so it's not just a problem with their briquettes. Not a lot, usually just a few pieces, but I see it more often than not and always keep an eye out for it now. I thought the brown stuff might just be twine but when I burned it it smelled like plastic, turned black and balled up/melted as plastic does when burned. Not sure what the white stuff is either but it's also some type of plastic I'm pretty sure. BnB_lump.jpgBnB_lump2.jpg

Yeah, I for sure don't want burning plastic going into my food. Not good at all. I will watch much closer on my B&B going forward.

Those pieces of plastic twine are not from super sack bags. We used those bags in shipping some of our products. The bags are a woven plastic material, not twine/rope like.

So just an update. I did reach out to duraflame on Monday and got a holiday message, but a response early today:

Hello,
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know of your dissatisfaction. As always, we hate to disappoint our customers. It is not typical for ANY foreign materials to make their way into our products. We set high expectations on quality, and we sincerely apologize for falling short of that standard with your experience. We thank you for letting us know and will be forwarding this information over to our quality control team who will investigate this matter.
I am happy to send you a bag of charcoal for your trouble.

No real answers to how or why but I did appreciate a response.
Just an update on B&B customer service. I did receive a replacement bag today. Opened it up and near as I can tell it is clean. At least they made it right I guess. Not sure I will continue to buy this brand since it was my first try with it. Finish what I bought and try something different, lump but not from B&B

Guess I should have just stayed with KBB. After 30 years of using KBB decided to try the B&B charcoal. Did a brisket yesterday and was pleased with the results. Decided to cook a single rack of pork ribs today using the B&B. When I added the charcoal to the summit 2 briquets were attached to a piece of poly twine (like the material use to secure hay bales). Yuck!
View attachment 78336View attachment 78338View attachment 78339
Never in all my years have I come across trash in my briquets. Few rocks in lump coal but never plastic trash. Anyway if you use this stuff watch it closely. Think I’ll just stick to kingsford products and leave the “duraflame” products on the shelf
Thank you. I will pay more attention when buying more for my kitchen. I often ask the question: how long does charcoal last? and found the answer!

A couple notes for what I have noticed this year.....

I purchased blues hog briquettes this year and it appeared as though "twine " was very roughly chopped and mixed in while the bricks were being pressed......visibly noticeable as soon as I could get it out of the bag. I did mention this I think when I did a brisket or shoulder cook early on in this warm season but no one mentioned anything....didn't seem like an issue I guess.

I also opened a really old bag of jealous devil last night....the old plastic bag with the plastic slider on the top to seal it back up when not in use.
I really cannot remember how long ago they switched from that to the paper bag setup but I had this for maybe 6 months before that happened.
Lit up a chimney, burned perfect.....I guess it was air tight...( ish ) for the most part.....at least 2 years old I would guess.
I have about 4 year old charcoal stored...2 or 3 bags...a brand I do not like much at all...so we will see what happens there when I do decide to use it.
I would think opened bags of charcoal may expire faster than sealed....no idea how good these paper bags are sealed up for long term storage.
I have about 24 bags sealed up of JD now, the current production but I don't expect it to last me until next summer so shouldn't be a worry.

Back