Poached Beer Brats on the Performer

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
We were at Costco today and noticed a VERY nice looking package of Johnsonville Fresh Brats so we brought it home. I decided to Poach the brats in beer like in this recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-with-beer-mustard-and-sauerkraut-recipe.html

I set up my Performer as typical for a two level fire using fire bricks:

We put the brats in sauerkraut along with the specified amount of mustard (sized to the number of brats we were doing) in a ten inch square aluminum throw-away pan along with a cup and a half of some nice summer wheat beer:

Note: the brats were only about half in the mix as you can see.

The pan was placed over the hot fire to start boiling:

After the mix started to boil (it took about seven minutes - YMMV) then the pan was slid to the indirect side and the grill was covered. After ten minutes, I flipped the brats, and then continued to simmer until another ten minutes passed. A check with the thermopen showed that they were cooked through.

Then the brats were taken from the pan and seared direct. Keep an eye on these - it only takes a couple of minutes a "side". :

When they are done to your liking, put them back in the Kraut for delivery to the table:

We had some nice hard rolls so I had them buttered and toasted for a minute or so for a nice toasted roll.

After they were taken to the table, we built sandwiches with the brats and kraut. You can also apply additional mustard if you like. Be sure and serve the kraut as a side - it picks up VERY nice flavor from the brats and mustard.

The brats were nicely juicy with just a nice touch of char (the picture tends to show that they were a bit over cooked but this was NOT the case).

This is a superior combination and a great recipe.

Note: This was a full chimney of used charcoal from a previous cook. I ALWAYS save my charcoal from the previous cook. Just a thought...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Cliff;
One of the things I liked about this recipe is using the throw-away pan on the grill. No messing up the kitchen to cook the brats in a large kettle as is often shown on TV grill programs before searing/browning.

This is a most practical method and if necessary I believe you can easily do two pans at once for a crowd. This recipe is on my "permanent" list...

Keep on smokin',

Robert, Looks Great! ...you moving to Milwaukee now?
You'll see hundreds of folks "grillin'" their brats in this fashion in the parking lots of Miller Park before Brewer games.

1404_Miller_Park_Exterior_view.jpg

http://www.ballparkeguides.com/miller-park-tailgating-tips.php#.VTJP22ctHIU

I do my brats the same way and yours look great! I reuse my leftover charcoal too although I put new on the bottom to keep the smaller chunks of used from falling out of the chimney.

Thanks for the kind words, folks!
Rich;
I also put a layer of new in the bottom of the chimney (otherwise the used coals tend to disappear:rolleyes:). I have a little coal shovel that I use around the grills and smokers. I flip the used coals in the grills and what doesn't fall through the grates get re-used. On short cooks I've often used the coals three times or so... "waste not want not"...;)

Jim;
Great picture of Milwaukee stadium. I really enjoyed the link, too. Thank you, my friend! I'm even going to check out the condiment section of Jungle Jim's for the secret sauce:

http://www.junglejims.com/

Keep on smokin',

Never heard of Jungle Jim's grocery before. Looks like an interesting place. I have some cousins in WI who swear that
grilling the brats first and then letting them swim in the beer is the way to go. But there are many fine ways to cook them.
Yours look great.

Bob;
Jungle Jim's is a local region "grocery" (actually, it is more of an "experience"). As an example, they have 1500 different hot sauces on hand at any given time. Big on ethnic foods and high quality produce, including the "exotic", also. They actually send tour buses from as far away as New York to the "Jungle". They have live seafood in "aquariums" and you can "pick your fish", etc. Their bakery is a sight to behold.

It's quite a place...

I met the owner when he was a young man just out of Miami University's School of Business with a roadside fruit stand. Now, it's a phenom! He had a vision at that time and through hard work, realized it, in spades!

Keep on smokin',

Jim Lampe;
I "think" I have replied. Apparently, my message box was full and this prevented my first and second response from going out. Hopefully, you will get the last one.

Please keep me posted...

Keep on smokin',

Picture Perfect - Love the Brats. I've only had them like this (didn't look as good as yours) a couple of times at ball games, and never served with enough Kraut------ I'll have to try it

Jim Lampe;
I "think" I have replied. Apparently, my message box was full and this prevented my first and second response from going out. Hopefully, you will get the last one.

Please keep me posted...

Keep on smokin',
Got it, Thanks...

Back