Planned restoration, any thoughts or advice is appreciated - Genesis Silver C?

Yah, and if you have a pressure washer then that's good also when cleaning the firebox, inside of the hood, grates, and bars.

Yah, and if you have a pressure washer then that's good also when cleaning the firebox, inside of the hood, grates, and bars.

Sweet, just recently picked up a SunJoe MPX3001, and it did a heck of a job cleaning off the siding of my house. Can't wait to see what it will do to the grates, and this smoker box the guy threw in:

71V5PEYnWTL._SX569_.jpg

Sweet, just recently picked up a SunJoe MPX3001, and it did a heck of a job cleaning off the siding of my house. Can't wait to see what it will do to the grates, and this smoker box the guy threw in:

71V5PEYnWTL._SX569_.jpg

I have gotten a couple of those boxes in old grill purchases I made. If it is the same as mine, it is cast iron. Your pressure washer might help, but I think you will need to do some dry wire-brushing to get it back to raw metal and then season well. From experience they are nice, old-fashioned smoker boxes but don't store well unless kept very dry (inside?). Broilmaster offers these same boxes as an option on their classic American-made grills they have been making for decades.

Man! Trying to reply on my phone is not easy. Spent the afternoon powerwashing, SO much gunk removed.

Going after the firebox tomorrow, see how that one bolt comes out and how the frame condition is there, from the outside it looks solid. I did see a slight bulge on the firebox above the middle burner tube, only about quarter sized. Hopefully still structurally sound.

Main concern was the 2 l-shaped bars holding the burner knob things, some rust but not wobbly or bending. Hitting that with some converter and paint before reassembly.

The firebox needs exterior paint. I am trying to convince myself to do it.

Oh and the dials, the panel below it with the directions, same 0000 light scrub to clean/polish it up? It may be sunbleached, looks fine wet but dries a bit splotchy.

Yup, the control panel cleans up well with Simple Green and 0000 steel wool. Be careful though when scrubbing the serial number as that could disappear if you clean it simple green and the wool. The dials I just do the simple green method then soak them in bleach overnight.

Gah! Twice this has deleted the post vs editing it 😂

Ok so... photos first

Hf6f2rSh.jpg

Much rust at the firebox bolt. Very sad. Trying to figure out if I can save this or if it's not worth it. Also because of:

c0lMHxCh.jpg

Bulge above the middle burner tube, the aluminum there is flaking away like it is rusted out. Not sure if this one can be slapped together and work, or if I need to pull it all down and repair the frame, replacement of that crossbar... if I invest in all the parts -

Grates (original are rusted, cracked)
Burner tubes, center is shot and xover tube shot...
Drip tray was rusted through and cracked almost in half
Flavorizer bars as expected

Or just pull parts off it and continue searching for a solid one for a full rebuild to use for the foreseeable future.

Ugh!

Shoot, I think it's best that you look for a Silver B and use the parts from there for the Silver C. Bruce did an awesome video tutorial on how to replace the bar that houses the bolt that connects to the firebox. I'd also get the firebox and drip tray (and whatever else that needs replaced) from the silver B and use it for the silver C.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I will try to cut that bolt tomorrow and see how bad the frame is, if I can save it, great. If not, I can always keep looking and try to build a frankenstein

Finally got the time to pull the firebox off the frame. Everything was rusted locked on, bolts sheared off or disintegrated, but Hoppes #9 does wonderful things.

The traditional rust location in all its glory:

HZd1dtch.jpg

RPiFnj6h.jpg

Bottom

The metal is still solid. I can't push my finger through anything that isn't already a hole. Might take my Dremel and sand away what I can to see how bad it is. Hit it with the rust converter and try to save this frame. Would the metal putty be worth sealing up that hole facing the firebox? Treat the inside with as much converter as possible and plug it up with the putty to reinforce it?

Oh yes, your solution to this problem is a good one. I may go that route if I get a solid firebox to drop into this frame.

Still weighing the options of saving this grill. I can see this ending with 2 or 3 scavenged units to get one good one. Or *gasp* buy a new one. I just like these.

I'm with Bruce on this one. Presuming you have the ability, the frame repair is the better option. Might even be cheaper and faster/easier too.

True, it would just take time. Two small kids at home that take up most of my free time. Plus I will need to find a viable firebox replacement before getting this running. This one is flaking apart at the middle burner tube something fierce.

Back