Plank maintenance?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have just used a plank for a meatloaf and the idea of simply tossing it after one use goes against my grain (sorry, bad pun). I honestly forgot about one the other night and was skeptical about microbe infestation so, I pitched it. Can you simply hot water wash them and get a few uses out of one? Or should they be ditched?
I've been grilling for so long without using one, I just don't remember.

I wash them in really hot water asap after use, but once I've cooked on one, I only use it for that food. For example, I have one cedar plank that's just for fish (usually salmon or trout - when I accidentally buy that thinking it's salmon). Now that I've cooked meatloaf on a plank, that'll be my meatloaf plank until it's too far gone.

I agree with Chad that cleaning them with really hot water and soap is the way to go. I have also heard that some people also heat up their grill before using the plank and put it food side towards the coals for 10min. and then putting the food on the plank. Maybe a combo of the two could be the way to go. In the past, I have just washed mine and used them again. Of course, I have only ever used them for salmon.

Thanks guys, like is say, I spaced,out and left the one on the grill until next morning, I will scald it next time right after cooking the meatloaf! Ho, the meatloaf turned out better than expected and I had high hopes going into it.

I do quite a bit of plank grilling. I re-use the planks until they fall apart. After the cook, it's a good idea to put the plank (immediately after you take the food off) in a bucket of water (I actually use a large tray full of water) to stop the "fire". Then after the meal is over, the plank gets scraped of all "bits" then washed in hot water. You can actually use soap but do NOT let it sit in soapy water. After rinsing really good, air dry the plank (in the sun is good, if possible) then put in a brown paper sack to keep the plank clean.

I plank on one of my Performers. I use one Weber large full chimney of lit spread equally over the charcoal grate. I put the plank, food side towards the fire, for TWO minutes by the clock. This pre-heats the plank and sterilizes the food side. I flip the plank and let it go until it starts smoking (may take 5-7 minutes) before I put the food on. Then I put the food on, close the lid and start cooking.

Short cooks (like fish) may only take 7.5-20 minutes. If the plank isn't already up to smoke temperature, the fish will be cooked before you get much smoke. At any rate, the shorter cooks will allow you to use the plank several times. The longer ones, like meatloaf, maybe only two. When the plank is "worn out", then break it up for smoke wood.

Keep a spray bottle handy just in case the plank catches fire. Sometimes I have to close off the bottom vent a bit to keep from overheating. The goal is to have the plank smoking during the cook. If it catches fire, that's too much of a good thing. If you do not see smoke throughout the cook, it is not hot enough. Billowing smoke signals that it is too hot.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53

We cook cedar plank salmon pretty regularly, and a plank lasts for at least a half-dozen cooks. The idea of the plank for salmon is to keep the fish from being overdone. We soak the plank in water for a good 3-4 hours before the cook. We prep the fish on the plank and put it in the middle of a Performer grate with charcoal baskets on either side, keeping the temp about 350-400 at the lid. A couple of fillets takes about 18 minutes to get nicely done on top, and about 130 internal. The fish is always moist and mild. The cedar provides a bit of alchemy to the taste of salmon. A nice light Pinot Noir goes well.

Jeff

Jeff

From http://www.outdoorgourmet.com/plank-grilling-cooking/frequently-asked-questions.html

ARE GRILLING PLANKS REUSABLE?

Yes, but we don't recommend it. Technically, if the grilling plank is still in good shape after the initial use it may be reused. Keep in mind that it will take on the flavor of whatever you grilled on it, and some of the essential oils from the wood will be used up from the first round of grilling. If you are grilling something that requires a long cook time, the plank will be too charred to reuse.

Tip: If you cook using the "indirect method" your grilling planks will have the best chance of being reusable. For charcoal grills simply set the coals on one side of the grill and the grilling plank on the other side. Likewise, for gas grills light one side, usually the front, and place the plank on the other (back) side.

If you are planking in the oven, your plank will be in much better condition after use, than if you are planking on the grill.

HOW DO YOU REUSE GRILLING PLANKS?

Clean the used plank by scraping off any food left after the initial use. Rinse in clear running water. Don’t use soap. Re-soak the plank, for 1-8 hours; the longer the better. Use according to recipe.

Then apply Pinot Noir to the griller as needed!
Seriously, thank you Chris and, I appreciate everyone's response. Now I know. I knew that before but, like I said, I have not used them in a very long time and memory seems to get fuzzy from time to time. I have some alder which I may use tonight with some salmon. The cedar I think I will save for meatloaf and such.
Thanks everyone!

Back