Pit Meter - iPhone app for the HeaterMeter

Last night I recompiled the latest beta as v1.0 and submitted it to the app store for review. Recent experience has been that it takes them about 1 week to complete the review process. I'm hoping that they find the demo feature sufficient for review because obviously Apple doesn't have HeaterMeters :)

Heh. I still feel you should have added this, hopefully Apple won't reject it:

I was thinking, how many references do you have to the HeaterMeter wiki site? It might be a good idea to have it in an About or Credits screen so people who download the app looking to control their barbecue can know what is required to put the hardware together.

I agree with you Joel. I actually meant to address your suggestion and then forgot about it. I was thinking of having some sort of info link on the main connection/login screen that is put up when you first launch the app.

A question for everyone using the app... I see a bunch of device token registrations, but server logs are showing that no one but me has actually sent a push notification to their device via the HM. Are you not using push notifications because?
1) It's not a feature you want.
2) Privacy, i.e. you don't want to involve a third party between you and Apple.
3) You thought it already works without further configuration in the HM scripts, or should be working after registering your device within the app.
4) Don't have the time or inclination to configure the HM script required but would use it if less effort was involved.

If most people answer 3 or 4 I might put more effort into making push notifications more user friendly, like having the app attempt to login to the script interface and auto-configure the device token and HTTPS call required (with your permission of course). If most people's answer is 1 or 2 I probably will leave it as-is.

4) Don't have the time or inclination to configure the HM script required but would use it if less effort was involved.

I guess I sort of fell into this category because I already had email and SMS alerts setup.

I just spent 2 minutes getting the push notifications going and it's great! They come in way faster than the email or SMS alerts.

Thanks for the feedback Steve. This is on my maybe todo list for v2, among other things. Time seems to be in low supply and high demand these days but if anyone has other suggestions for v2 of the app then let me know.

Darren,

Thanks again for a great app. It works really well!

Here's my pie in the sky wish list for the app:

- The choice of a large digital readout or the large analog temp dial

- Be able to set the fan and servo options for "only on at max" "full open/closed" mode.

- Since the HM doesn't have the ability to save and recall "profiles", provide that functionality via the app. It would basically be storing and loading the full configuration url as listed in the configuration page. You could extend the functionality even further by storing the profiles in dropbox.

- On the topic of dropbox, offer to sync the saved HM graphs to dropbox as nice backup feature.

- An iPad optimized version, though I suppose the main HM page renders well enough on the iPad. I was thinking something along the lines of the iGrill app.

All great suggestions Steve, and all very doable. You can bet the iPad is on my list too, especially because Santa dropped off an iPad Air here for Christmas.

Darren,

Is there a way to clear the alert count on the app icon? I don't have any active alerts on the HM but the app is still showing a 1 in the top right corner of the icon.

Also, another feature request - the ability to toggle lid open/close status, preferably from the main screen status screen.

Thanks again!

There is code in the app that's supposed to be clearing the alert count, but I have the same issue on my device too. I had wondered if my switching between the production and test Apple servers had caused the issue for me. You just confirmed that's not the case. Consider it a bug for me to fix.

Good idea about the lid toggle. That would be a good feature, and easy to implement I think. I'll put it on the list.

PitDriod, right! Thanks, I forgot the name and searching the forum I came up with the Apple app first....
Thanks for putting me on the right track!

If you've updated to LinkMeter v11, you'll have to ssh into the HeaterMeter and re-install the openssl-util package

Note: This is only required if you've registered to receive in-app push notifications for Pit Meter

Code:
root@HM:~# opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/brcm2708/generic/packages/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/attitude_adjustment.

root@HM:~# opkg install openssl-util
Installing openssl-util (1.0.1e-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/brcm2708/generic/packages/openssl-util_1.0.1e-1_brcm2708.ipk.
Configuring openssl-util.

Last edited:

Back