Pit Meter - iPhone app for the HeaterMeter

Darren, the app is great! I've been waiting for an ios solution like this. One question, is there a way to save an image of your graph from the graph view?

I just uploaded a new beta that contains a first attempt at providing an interface into the LM's stash/archive DB for the purpose of viewing/saving the graph data. Let me know what you think.

Ok, that explains it.
I tried the app in demo mode cause I'm not home currently and I noticed a bug and have a remark ;)
Bug: going to settings, pressing the advanced lan setting, the back button show settings 2 and I have to press it twice to return to the settings screen (empty tab/screen in between).
In europe, we mostly use Celcius for the temp settings, currently I can only set the temp in Fahrenheit, maybe a switch or the ability to enter C in the tempmsettings box, just like in the original hm config screen would be great.
View settings: Pressing on the text Thermo Scale doesn't 'enable' the combo box, only when pressing on the text it works, background only 'responds' to the text press.
Password field shows > but when pressing it it shows the cursor, the > indicates going to another screen.

Last edited:
Ok, that explains it.
I tried the app in demo mode cause I'm not home currently and I noticed a bug and have a remark ;)
Bug: going to settings, pressing the advanced lan setting, the back button show settings 2 and I have to press it twice to return to the settings screen (empty tab/screen in between).

I am also experiencing this bug, except that it causes the app to crash completely when trying to return to the previous screen.

Additionally, when navigating to the Advanced LAN page, the only setting currently on the page (Host Name Bypass) is covered up by the page name "Advanced LAN." You must pull down on the page to see the setting.

Ok, that explains it.
In europe, we mostly use Celcius for the temp settings, currently I can only set the temp in Fahrenheit, maybe a switch or the ability to enter C in the tempmsettings box, just like in the original hm config screen would be great.
View settings: Pressing on the text Thermo Scale doesn't 'enable' the combo box, only when pressing on the text it works, background only 'responds' to the text press.
Password field shows > but when pressing it it shows the cursor, the > indicates going to another screen.

Thanks for the bug reports. I uploaded a new beta that should fix those issues. I had moved some of the settings around and really messed some of the page navigation.

I had been thinking about making a user customizable scale on the thermometer. I'll do that next. That should provide better support for celcius.

Finally getting a chance to try the app out. Unable to connect to my HM on the local network.

I can get to the HM via my computer and safari/chrome on the iphone, so not sure why the app can't get to it.

I'm using the most recent update of the app.

Steve, what are you using for the host setting? Also is HTTPS on? Streaming on? Do you have anything in Advanced LAN?

In the main config screen:

Host name/IP: 192.168.1.88
Advanced LAN Settings: Blank (I also tried LAN LM Host = 192.168.1.88 / LAN Subnet = 192.168.1.0 )
Username: root
Password: $myHMpassword
Streaming Off (tried on)
HTTPS: Off

Edit 1: Something else is up. I can't connect to 192.168.1.88 from my phone via safari or chrome but I can get to other hosts on the network and I can get to 192.168.1.88 from my laptop.

Edit 2: After seeing some other strangeness, I ended up rebooting my router and now I can get to the HM from the app.

Last edited:
I just uploaded a new build to testflight. See first post for a list of changes.

I think I'm nearing feature complete for v1.0. If you have any feature requests please let me know soon. I'll probably lock it down to bug fixes shortly. Speaking of, please report any bugs or crashes too.

Could you enroll me again? I have a new phone (and will be changing again in a week or so). Testflight won't let me install the app on this phone even though I deleted the old one.

Only thing that I would like is to see the PID that is making up the fan speed like you can on the web UI. The ability to change the PID settings from the app would be nice for tuning it. I know the Bryan said that a auto-tune for the device itself is difficult because of memory or something, but it may be possible to use the app to auto-tune or atleast suggest PID settings.

Only thing that I would like is to see the PID that is making up the fan speed like you can on the web UI. The ability to change the PID settings from the app would be nice for tuning it. I know the Bryan said that a auto-tune for the device itself is difficult because of memory or something, but it may be possible to use the app to auto-tune or atleast suggest PID settings.

Already got you covered. See the current PID config settings in the HeaterMeter config screen. To see the realtime PID calcs, give the phone a little shake when on the main screen with the thermo. I know, the shake gesture is lame and not intuitive at all. I'm out of real estate on that screen but didn't want to bury the feature.

Edit: Oh yeah, I should point out that streaming must be on to see the realtime PID calcs.

Last edited:
Darren,

Have been so busy I haven't had a chance to drop you a line. As promised, I went through two cooks this weekend and put the app through its paces.

The alarm notification seems to be a bit weird. If you have the app active when the alarm hits, it notifies you and you can silence or ignore. However,
I was setting alarm points just to test the feature and I would walk away for a bit, come back to have the heatermeter alarms going off, but when opening the
app there was no notification and no way to silence the alarm other than to go into the settings and disable that alarm with the toggle switch.

PID settings view are great.

I also noticed that there were, at certain points, issues with the calculation to setpoint of the probes. Even though the webgui had "x amount of time to setpoint," when trying to tap on the probe graph in the app, it would say it was unable to display the information. Most of the time it worked like a charm, there were some isolated incidents of it not.

The stash function worked great.

I will have it out again this weekend and hopefully acquire some more specific responses.

Thank you very much for this.

Darren, are you getting this up on the App Store? I have my 5s now so if you could approve it in Testflight, that'd be great.

I was thinking, how many references do you have to the HeaterMeter wiki site? It might be a good idea to have it in an About or Credits screen so people who download the app looking to control their barbecue can know what is required to put the hardware together.

Darren, are you getting this up on the App Store? I have my 5s now so if you could approve it in Testflight, that'd be great.

I was thinking, how many references do you have to the HeaterMeter wiki site? It might be a good idea to have it in an About or Credits screen so people who download the app looking to control their barbecue can know what is required to put the hardware together.

I too am curious if this will soon be available or if I could become a beta tester? As Thanksgiving quickly approaches I plan on keeping my heatermeter very busy!

Thanks,

Neil

Hey guys, my apologies for being MIA. Work has been crazy busy and I was in San Jose for the past week. I'd like to submit the app soon, and actually had a target date of Thanksgiving myself to be in the app store. I'm not sure that will happen because It means that I have to submit this week. I want to address some of the things that Phillip reported because I have seen them myself, and have a small punch list before submission. In the meantime, drop me a private message with your email address if you'd like to download via testflight.

Darren,

Have been so busy I haven't had a chance to drop you a line. As promised, I went through two cooks this weekend and put the app through its paces.

The alarm notification seems to be a bit weird. If you have the app active when the alarm hits, it notifies you and you can silence or ignore. However,
I was setting alarm points just to test the feature and I would walk away for a bit, come back to have the heatermeter alarms going off, but when opening the
app there was no notification and no way to silence the alarm other than to go into the settings and disable that alarm with the toggle switch.

PID settings view are great.

I also noticed that there were, at certain points, issues with the calculation to setpoint of the probes. Even though the webgui had "x amount of time to setpoint," when trying to tap on the probe graph in the app, it would say it was unable to display the information. Most of the time it worked like a charm, there were some isolated incidents of it not.

The stash function worked great.

I will have it out again this weekend and hopefully acquire some more specific responses.

Thank you very much for this.

Thanks for the feedback Phillip. I can verify the same thing with the alarm. For the alarm silence to work, the app has to actually be aware that the alarm went off. Streaming has to be on for this to work. What I'm seeing is that the "alarm" event only comes once. If the app is in the background it misses that event. I thought I had verified this in the v9 version and saw that the "alarm" event is sent multiple times. I'll check with Bryan.

I tried to mirror the web interface's x amount of time to set point function. I'll have to look in more detail to see what might be different.

Really appreciate the feedback!

I'm unable to install it. I see that you've added my 5s to Testflight, so I cleared out the old provisioning profile that was installed from my 4s restore, rebooted, installed the provisioning profile again, and attempted to install. Watching the app icon's status, the full binary is downloaded but on the installation step I get "Unable to Download App: "Pit Meter" could not be installed at this time."

What gives?

That's odd. I updated the build on testflight with your old device ID's but I doubt that would do anything. I can see that your device is registered and the testflight portal recognizes it as enabled in the profile. I'm not super familiar with testflight. I would say do what you're already doing. Try unregistering the device and then re-register it. Reboot the phone in between and afterwards. If that doesn't work you can confirm with iTunes or the UUIDViewer app that your device ID ends with 2301 because that's what testflight is reporting and what's in the profile.

I've done all that twice and still no go. That is my UUID. The only issue I see is that Testflight identifies my device as a iPhone 5s GSM, when it is a CDMA phone, but that could just be a silly labelling issue. Testflight is messed up in this regard and needs a fix.

Back