Pit Meter - iPhone app for the HeaterMeter

If you want additional push notifications, see here.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?57350-Sending-alerts-with-Pushbullet

Also, a tip for the instructions sent if you register for push notifications with PitMeter,

You don't need to do this part:

Code:
SSH into your LinkMeter and run these two commands.  These will install openssl.

opkg update
opkg install openssl-util

You just need to replace this part:

Code:
openssl s_client -crlf -connect XXhiddenXX.homeip.net:443 -ign_eof <<EOF
POST /pitmeter/api/pushnotification HTTP/1.1
Host: XXhiddenXX.homeip.net
Connection: Close
User-Agent: OpenSSL
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: ${#json}

$json
EOF

with

Code:
curl -q -k -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d "$json" https://XXhiddenXX.homeip.net/pitmeter/api/pushnotification

Replace XXhiddenXX.homeip.net with the hostname that you receive from the PitMeter app.

Cool thanks for that...I have Boxcar set up too which works really well. I just thought that pushwizard seemed like another option if he wasn't liking having to maintain a server. Its free too. I came across it while i was searching for back up notifications since sms gateways aren't as common without paying in Australia.

Thanks for the push discussion guys. At the time I developed the app I researched options and didn't like any of the free providers. I'm glad that there are more options now and I'd like to think these are viable. I haven't been the greatest maintainer because the app hasn't been updated since the initial release, and a lot has changed in the iOS world. For example apps can now go to the background and access the network for awhile. Wouldn't it be cool to have an option to continue streaming to the app and show realtime updates on the lock screen? But time is hard to come by, and I've been too busy using my free time to BBQ and homebrew. I still have ideas for a new release, and actually started working on one. Hopefully I can make completing it a priority again soon and would definitely like to prototype the viability of some of these alternatives for push notifications.

Also, another feature request - the ability to toggle lid open/close status, preferably from the main screen status screen.

Definitely at the top of my wish list too. Caught myself needing this while the HM was sealed up during a rain shower.

This has been a really useful app - can't wait to see where it goes. After a few weeks with the Apple Watch, I started visualizing a Glance showing setpoints and actual temps... :D

Darren, Pit Meter is still the first app on my screen and I continue to love it.

If you are thinking about doing some updating, the ability to access multiple devices would be awesome. On some occasions, I have multiple HM's going and it would be helpful to be able to see them all through Pit Meter.

First off thanks for this app! I have one small issue. I have a notification badge that won't go away. I even tried deleting the app and reinstalling but it comes back. Any ideas?

Edit: I sent myself a test alert and it went away now.

Last edited:
I've sent Darren a PM about this, but just so others know, the latest version of the OpenWRT / LinkMeter software that includes the High / Low peak data will cause problems with the Pit Meter app, due to the addition of the "event: peaks" data in the stream.

Hi all.
Does anyone have experience where the app crashes if you want to save any change via the app?

Last edited:
Using the latest snapshot (with pushbullet integrated) it appears I no longer get push notification for pit droid. Is this a known issue?

[truncated] {"Message":"An error has occurred.","ExceptionMessage":"Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.","ExceptionType":"System.IO.IOException","StackTrace":" at System.Net.Securi
Jan 13 16:46:19 OpenWrt user.notice lmalarm: ationClient.Send(PushNotification pushNotification, Boolean& valid) in d:\\Dev\\PitMeter\\Domain\\PushNotificationClient.cs:line 42\r\n at PitMeter.Controllers.PushNotificationController.Post(PushNotification pushNotificatio

That's all I can see, I'll look in the log and see if the full error is there...

Last edited:
Darren's server looks to be a little under the weather.

Code:
HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Length: 4969
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
Expires: -1
Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0
X-AspNet-Version: 4.0.30319
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
X-Powered-By: ARR/2.5
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 16:56:43 GMT
Connection: close

Took my brand new HM out for a spin today and have been trying to monitor it with the Pit Meter app for iPhone. Unfortunately, I continually get the message "Error Unprocessed streaming event peaks." Looking at the http stream information, I see many hmstatus events and the occasional peaks event. Did the data stream change since the app was released? Can we expect a new release of the app?

--Ron

is this app still maintained? what about the mentioned v2 being almost finished a year ago?
i really miss notifications, and i don't really like pushbullet, which for now is the only way to do it.
i'd really love to make this app work with newer HM software, as i also get this "unprocessed streaming error" all the time as well.

is this app still maintained? what about the mentioned v2 being almost finished a year ago?
i really miss notifications, and i don't really like pushbullet, which for now is the only way to do it.
i'd really love to make this app work with newer HM software, as i also get this "unprocessed streaming error" all the time as well.

The best person to ask would be the developer.

Guessing this is dead? App no longer appears in store, guess don't update your phone if you want to keep it.

New iPhone means I need to install this one again. The fact that there are no (meaningful) results when I search for PitMeter must mean that this isn't available any more.

Apple removes apps from the app store that haven't been updated for a period of time. If you backed your phone up to your computer, it should restore the app. You might also be able to download it via the app store app on the phone. Go to updates > purchased and see if it's listed there.

Back