Picked up some beef today.

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Emerald Member
Went to 2 butchers today and spent over $100 on 5 steaks, one nice marbled beauty is a tomahawk, that was 47 by itself and delicious looking other steaks. Got 2 out for the Mrs and me tonight, saving the big one for later, it’s still even too big for us to share lol. The other 4, 2 being eaten tonight are 1.5 inches thick and about 16 oz each.

Attachments

• 80647553-CD18-4855-AABB-76E90F89F874.jpeg
    80647553-CD18-4855-AABB-76E90F89F874.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 25
  • C428D84A-6171-48A5-8C22-84301C231307.jpeg
    C428D84A-6171-48A5-8C22-84301C231307.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 3267B1DC-272F-44AC-8302-085F9484F6BE.jpeg
    3267B1DC-272F-44AC-8302-085F9484F6BE.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 25
Thanks folks, I will post a pic of the smaller 2 tonight and for sure that tomahawk when I grill it. I won’t be able to wait long, it’s as thick as the coloured portion on my bic lighter.....one side is a tad thicker than the other.
I am a tomahawk virgin.....always too high in price for me but I walked in the store and they had about 10 vac packed up under the counter. Looked at 3 of them and took what appeared to be the most marbled. I caved and bought a 50 dollar steak lol. It’s going to be a lot of eating as the Mrs. usually only eats about 6 ounces of meat per sitting. This one is 47.7 oz with the bone. Yikes.

Going indirect tonight wit( just a tad of hickory till about 105 or 110, then the sear.
The Mrs.likes pink, I like red and black on the outside....Chicago style.

Gave the steaks for tonight the killer hogs AP treatment and back in the fridge for a few hours. Going to add traeger prime rib rub....it’s a fairly fine grit rub, and killer hogs steak spice, much more coarse. Looking for a juicy, salty rare piece of meat....I’ve had a few and I don’t know why I do this to myself all the time but it makes it easier to mess things up lol. Like let’s put a handicap on myself every time I cook......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 2
I caved and bought a 50 dollar steak lol.

Sometimes, you just have to splurge. I haven't done it in probably 5 or 6 years, but there were a few years in a row where I would stop at Wegman's on my way home from work on my birthday and get myself a Wagyu NY Strip. Fortunately, they're so rich, that you don't need to eat much to get filled up. Nice to do once in a while. I'm looking forward to see your results with that tomahawk.

Will be sure to post tomahawk results, I’ve been dreaming about eating one for years. I’m hoping 2 weeks time, maybe Xmas eve.

Thanks, the resting period seems to always push the steak more onto medium than I’m looking for but it was super juicy and tasty still. Puts it right where the Mrs. likes so that’s what goes over good.

Fantastic cook, looks perfect. Me and the Finance Minster/ War Department are having a strip steak and baker for dinner tonight, but after seeing your steaks, well my enthusiasm for the strip steak has diminished greatly. :(

Thanks folks....
Fantastic cook, looks perfect. Me and the Finance Minster/ War Department are having a strip steak and baker for dinner tonight, but after seeing your steaks, well my enthusiasm for the strip steak has diminished greatly. :(
lol.
The warden / social co-odinator liked them a lot.......

Back