Picked up one of the new Travelers

Shane - glitchy

TVWBB Super Fan
I don't have a full sized gasser anymore. I do most of my cooking over pellets or charcoal. I have a Q1000 that I've only used a couple times, but found to be way too small for what I want. So I decided to pick up one of the new Travelers so we can take it on fishing trips, but also hope to use it at home for occasional quick meals and searing after reversing on the MAK when I don't feel like lighting up the charcoal. Overall, I'm initially impressed with the grill. I've only done a couple cooks so far, just some thin NY strips and some Southside jalapeño cheddar sausages, but it worked well for that.

The grill has more headroom than the pictures appear and does seem very efficient on fuel consumption. The stand is very sturdy unlike the folding stand I have for the Q. I was really surprised at the heavy weight of the grates, but I think I'm actually hoping someone ends up making some solid stainless grates for it in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_4031.jpeg
    IMG_4031.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4032.jpeg
    IMG_4032.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4023 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4023 (1).jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4027 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4027 (1).jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4028 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4028 (1).jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 94
The grate and burner system uses the same technology as the Q. So maybe you will see something like Bruce and I bought for our Q's

I don't have a full sized gasser anymore. I do most of my cooking over pellets or charcoal. I have a Q1000 that I've only used a couple times, but found to be way too small for what I want. So I decided to pick up one of the new Travelers so we can take it on fishing trips, but also hope to use it at home for occasional quick meals and searing after reversing on the MAK when I don't feel like lighting up the charcoal. Overall, I'm initially impressed with the grill. I've only done a couple cooks so far, just some thin NY strips and some Southside jalapeño cheddar sausages, but it worked well for that.

The grill has more headroom than the pictures appear and does seem very efficient on fuel consumption. The stand is very sturdy unlike the folding stand I have for the Q. I was really surprised at the heavy weight of the grates, but I think I'm actually hoping someone ends up making some solid stainless grates for it in the future.
Looking at the photo of the burn tube the Traveler looks-like a souped-up Weber Q??

Did you buy your Traveler off Weber.Com as today the Website states: "Out-Of-Stock?

Last edited:
The shape looks different but is there any chance it uses the same grates as a Q2000?

I was thinking that if this works out for Weber, it could spell the end of the Q series. But, then, I think these grills are probably more like the what a Summit is to the Genesis and will be similar but upper end in price for sure.

I was thinking that if this works out for Weber, it could spell the end of the Q series. But, then, I think these grills are probably more like the what a Summit is to the Genesis and will be similar but upper end in price for sure.
On Weber.com it is listed today at $299 but is "Out-Of-Stock".

Looking at the photo of the burn tube the Traveler looks-like a souped-up Weber Q??

Did you buy your Traveler off Weber.Com as today the Website states: "Out-Of-Stock?

I bought from HomeDepot.com. They’ve been in and out of stock there for shipping. Only place I’ve seen them available yet. Couple other places had pre orders.

It looks nice. Just not sure I would forgo a Q2200 with all-aluminum for a grill that is eventually going to rust out. But, I do like the much better portability. I think for me, a Q2200 is a deck grill alternative, especially when mounted on the cart that looks like the one the Q3200 comes built on. Then, it is capable of going on a picnic or camping in a reasonable, if not completely easy, way. This Traveler seems BUILT to be taken places (much easier than a Q2200), and while it can certainly double as a deck grill alternative, maybe not as well since its construction is not as resistant to staying out in the elements.

I say all this, but I haven't even SEEN a Traveler yet, so I probably should do that before opining like I know so much 😬 !

It looks nice. Just not sure I would forgo a Q2200 with all-aluminum for a grill that is eventually going to rust out. But, I do like the much better portability. I think for me, a Q2200 is a deck grill alternative, especially when mounted on the cart that looks like the one the Q3200 comes built on. Then, it is capable of going on a picnic or camping in a reasonable, if not completely easy, way. This Traveler seems BUILT to be taken places (much easier than a Q2200), and while it can certainly double as a deck grill alternative, maybe not as well since its construction is not as resistant to staying out in the elements.

I say all this, but I haven't even SEEN a Traveler yet, so I probably should do that before opining like I know so much 😬 !
Honestly, It’s built like a kettle. lid is about the same thickness as kettle.

Personally, I’ll take cooking space, convenience and functionality over lasting forever for $300. I know that makes me different than most here. I am a Weber fan, but not a rehabber.

Interesting, I picked up a Q-2200 for a park, picnic/camping type of grill. The freaking thing is HUGE, not nearly as portable as I had hoped. I did get the stand and an adapter hose on a good deal at Costco, but I’d love to see a traveler up close.
Might just place an order and get the wife all riled up.

Interesting, I picked up a Q-2200 for a park, picnic/camping type of grill. The freaking thing is HUGE, not nearly as portable as I had hoped. I did get the stand and an adapter hose on a good deal at Costco, but I’d love to see a traveler up close.
Might just place an order and get the wife all riled up.
You bring up a good point, this is a different type of portable than other options. It’s neither small or super light. It’s portable like a big wheeled suitcase and super easy to put up and down. If you have a small car and want to take this on vacation, it’s going to chew up a lot of your luggage space. However, the only lifting should be into and out of your vehicle unless you have stairs to clear.

Looks interesting!
Does this fold/scissor down so you can wheel it like a dolly?
How portable is it, compared to say a Q200x series?
Been loving my Q220 since 2005 and it's still going strong, but your post piqued my interest :)

Back