Picked up Never Used Genesis Red Head NG

MJPebbs

TVWBB Member
I recently came across this older Genesis 13 bar NG red head and had to have it for $100. Serial number decal faded, have no idea how old or what exact model I have here., thinking it's a 1000? Everything is there except the thermometer, lid has a few scratches. The wood slats and handle are in decent shape but gray in color, will have to change them to nice stained wood. Thinking I may convert it to propane and upgrade my daily driver which is identical to this one.

Attachments

• IMG_6353.jpg
    IMG_6353.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6354.jpg
    IMG_6354.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6356.jpg
    IMG_6356.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6358.jpg
    IMG_6358.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6359.jpg
    IMG_6359.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6361.jpg
    IMG_6361.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6363.jpg
    IMG_6363.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6364.jpg
    IMG_6364.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 60
What is the deal with that thing? It looks like it has some wood and some durawood. It also looks basically brand new inside. I am pretty sure it is a later 90's Genesis 1000. But tough to tell with both wood and durawood.

It is brand new never used. The slats are wood but painted gray, they are not durawood and not painted after the fact. I have rescued many grills like this with red colored wood slats, this has a light coat of gray paint on them as well as the handle.

Oh, OK, then it is probably closer to a mid 90's Genesis 1000 I think.

Oh and that bracket you have sitting on the control panel is actually a support for the manifold.

Last edited:
It was never used, bought for a beach house but never made it there, stored in a garage all these years. The control panel is a 8006 and uses screws to connect to the frame, not the plastic push pins.

Congrats on the find !!
I would change the burners screws to stainless steel SS, it will help in the long run.
Also change all the frame screws to SS

Last edited:
It is brand new never used. The slats are wood but painted gray, they are not durawood and not painted after the fact. I have rescued many grills like this with red colored wood slats, this has a light coat of gray paint on them as well as the handle.
Its an 1100 I did one for a friend of mine and yes the slats as well as the handle are all wood and they were painted or stained gray whatever Weber used. The 1100 had wood on the bottom rack where the 1000 used a wire rack. I have a link called an 1100 for a buddy of mine but here is a picture from that link. He wanted to save and re-use all the wood so the wood was sanded and a pewter solid deck stain was used. I registered this grill with Weber it was purchased in 1999 could have been a 98 model.

1608990394388.png

Agree with LMichaels...she’s a beauty! I have a similar grill that needs one of those burner control knobs and the rocker button with the plastic piece that surrounds the square opening. I could find a parts grill but curious where those can be ordered from? If unavailable online does anyone have those to sell me?

I can't wait to get started on this one, just too cold right now. I will swap out the red portion of the lid with my existing one which is better condition without scratches. I might have to swap out the control panel, not sure if I can remove the white sticker on the top right side.

I can't wait to get started on this one, just too cold right now. I will swap out the red portion of the lid with my existing one which is better condition without scratches. I might have to swap out the control panel, not sure if I can remove the white sticker on the top right side.
Just soak the sticker with simple green and use 0000 steel wool. It should come off no problem.

Great score! I have a gas line running to my back yard, I’d call “Miss Dig” and get it replumbed for that!
Really great find, years of use ahead of you!

Back