Picanha. Duane and Brett and Rich made me do it.

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just keep adding to this one.

I froze three steaks from the group above, thawed them last night.

20221116_182356.jpg

But first let's grill some zucchini

20221116_180914.jpg

JD lump makes a great bed of coals for searing.

20221116_182433.jpg
20221116_182544.jpg

20221116_182636.jpg

20221116_182637.jpg

Resting in a warm spot.

20221116_183638.jpg

With some blue cheese as a topping
20221116_184044.jpg

Cooks plate

20221116_184329.jpg

And of course some local Vino Rosso

20221116_204254.jpg

Overall this was excellent. Picanha steaks got a perfect char. The fat cap was crispy and delicious. Steaks were on the medium side of med rare. Blue cheese added a layer of flavor and the zucchini had a nice balance of acid with lemon mustard honey vinaigrette topped with pine nuts and Pecorino Romano, which paired well with the Sangiovese.

I finally bought a picanha. I notice that they're always cut into slices before being grilled, rather than leaving the entire cut as is. Any major reason(s) for that?

I finally bought a picanha. I notice that they're always cut into slices before being grilled, rather than leaving the entire cut as is. Any major reason(s) for that?
Ive seen it cut into steaks, cut and skewered and cooked whole.

No idea why.

I swear I am the only one that cooks mine in full roast form....
Cooked rare rare.....125 neighborhood.
Sliced against the grain, eats similar to flank.
Then once it cools and you want to eat a sandwich or something you can really see the fat in the beef, its spectacular and also cuts very thin and is very tender. I can't cook it any other way. If I wanted a steak there are 4 or 5 premium choices out there already for me.

With the fat side down most of the cook?
No, I trim the entire fat cap off of the meat.
I use a great rub on it and then go offset at a medium temp like 275 to 300.
Mine start off about 2.5 to 2.7 pounds and the trim of the fat is considerable.
There is so much delicious marbled fat inside of that cut that none of the outside fat is required.
Click on my name and check my posts, I bet I have posted the same cook easily 3 times on here.
I set the probe to about 116 to 118 or so ( it's been a while ) then I take the lid of fand give it a couple more lumps for taste and let the fire get really hot.
5 minutes or so usually is enough.
Then throw a nice colour changing sear on both sides.
Take it inside and give it 10 minutes very lightly covered.......slice against the grain and it comes out thin, and delicous.
Sandwiches are always lined up for next day....will beat 90% of deli sandwiches you have had.

Just looked quick and here is one of them

FLAVOR! more salt on the meat and a nice sear of the fat cap. and an even cook to desired doneness.

Also, not trying to be a beef snob, but if you can find this cut in a "Prime" grade, go for it!

Back