Picanha. Duane and Brett and Rich made me do it.

Nice job. Exactly how I cooked mine, but mine were skewered, which was totally unnecessary. I have one more in the freezer from Wild Fork and I saw our Costco now carries them.

You can sear that fat even more next time. Just watch the steak so you don’t create an inferno. I like the flavor the fat cap adds, especially when salt and peppered. It gets a nice crispy outside sear. You have the last of the Renwoods! Enjoy!

Looks great, the wall of bbq's is great too.......
Reminds me of a TV show, 3 or 4 stations going at once all doing a specific job.
As long as you kept your cool you could be literally cooking 4 items all at the same time.
It would look fancy if you had guests over anyways.
Top shelf cook, I will have to try the steak sometime as I have done my last 10 in roast style.
Which I did give you some tips in that other thread.

Dan....so, what did you think? In the ratio of $/lb to beefy flavor I think that Picanha is the current winner. Especially when, in my estimation, there is very little difference between Choice and Prime in the flavor and tenderness categories, it's a great cut!

Yours looks really good, and I love what you plated it up with, too!

R

You can sear that fat even more next time. Just watch the steak so you don’t create an inferno. I like the flavor the fat cap adds, especially when salt and peppered. It gets a nice crispy outside sear. You have the last of the Renwoods! Enjoy!
Thanks. I did not want to take it too far, yet I agree the fat could have cooked more. There was a large fat cap...

Wonder if I should have trimmed a little more.

That was my last Renwood Fiddletown and it was excellent.

Dan....so, what did you think? In the ratio of $/lb to beefy flavor I think that Picanha is the current winner. Especially when, in my estimation, there is very little difference between Choice and Prime in the flavor and tenderness categories, it's a great cut!

Yours looks really good, and I love what you plated it up with, too!

R
I liked it a lot. Great flavor.

This was 5.99 lb. If it's 1/3 fat that's $9 lb. More than trimmed tri tip, yet flavor is better.

I think flavor is up there with rib steak or NY strips.

I'll be getting more for sure.

Looks great, the wall of bbq's is great too.......
Reminds me of a TV show, 3 or 4 stations going at once all doing a specific job.
As long as you kept your cool you could be literally cooking 4 items all at the same time.
It would look fancy if you had guests over anyways.
Top shelf cook, I will have to try the steak sometime as I have done my last 10 in roast style.
Which I did give you some tips in that other thread.
I usually cook on just one.

Last night the E330 was there to keep the veggies warm. I shut it off to rest the picanha.

I used the 1000 for the first time this year cooking hot dogs for lunch. It's turned into my rotisserie grill, and I haven't spun anything in a while. I need to...

I saw the roast idea, but we wanted steaks for a change. Maybe next one.

There is lots of fat in that roast in roast form.
I have done many and learned what I think is all there is to learn.
Always slice against the grain like flank......when its cold you can get paper thin slices and the fat is cooled and you can see how much is actually in there, it helps you slice very thin. I give it an angled slice, just like flank again.....I have posted it at least 3 times on here....if you need any reference. But I am sure you do not.
I rarely use it for a dinner like roast and potatoes but more for like sandwiches hot and cold. Paired with a nice homemade sauce and a nice slice of premium cheese it goes a long way.

Has anyone here done this rotisserie style? Just got my 1st picanha and I might try that. I can be argued out of it, though.

Has anyone here done this rotisserie style? Just got my 1st picanha and I might try that. I can be argued out of it, though.
Elevated on roto or swords is best. It keeps all the juices in the meat and allows the fat cap to render and baste the meat. Go for it. We like just kosher salt on it. It enhances the beef and brings our that rich, beef flavor.

Back