Peruvian Chicken and Rice

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Got a whole chicken pieced for 2 bucks a while back. Got my go to Peruvian Chicken paste/marinade recipe on the chicken early this morning. I have two other Peruvian Chicken recipes I want to try, but I keep going back to this one because it is so good, the family loves it, and I had all the ingredients in the house.
IMG_20210212_164958.jpg
Decided on the vortex, used RO Chef's Select temp reading 550 when I put the chicken on.
IMG_20210212_160631.jpg
At 30 minutes, looking really good, some burnt goodness around the edges.
IMG_20210212_165014.jpg
And right before I pulled it.
IMG_20210212_173130.jpg
And off under an hour. That is the fastest cooked chicken yet for me with or without the vortex.
IMG_20210212_173142.jpg
Cut and ready for service.
IMG_20210212_173151.jpg
And served with some really good cajun rice.
IMG_20210212_173205.jpg
That chicken was so freaken good! The skin was super crispy and also fabulously charred. The meat was super tender and juicy. I got almost all of the thigh meat and one of the legs! It was a great Friday night dinner.

Michael,

"Got my go to Peruvian Chicken paste/marinade recipe on the chicken early this morning. I have two other Peruvian Chicken recipes I want to try, but I keep going back to this one because it is so good, the family loves it, and I had all the ingredients in the house."

You are such a tease!!!!! lol

Michael,

"Got my go to Peruvian Chicken paste/marinade recipe on the chicken early this morning. I have two other Peruvian Chicken recipes I want to try, but I keep going back to this one because it is so good, the family loves it, and I had all the ingredients in the house."

You are such a tease!!!!! lol
That looks great Michael, but inquiring minds want to know what's in it.
Hey guys below is the recipe I keep using.

• 4 garlic cloves- finely minced
  • 2 tablespoons EVOO
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
Before Covid one of my favorite lunch spots was the Chargrilled Peruvian Chicken places around me. Since Covid I have not been to one. This recipe smells and taste very close to that, which I guess is another reason I keep going back to it.

I really want to try this recipe, and have put the two needed ingrediences in my amazon cart multiple times but never pull the trigger.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/peruvian-style-spit-roasted-chicken-green-sauce/

Rich G. also posted a different recipe recently that I want to try. However, as I said, I go back to this above recipe as it has become a go to.

We don't like or use a green sauce, but that is amazing as well with the rice and chicken!

That Raichlen version is really killer! Pull the trigger, trust me!
There is a Latino grocery store that carries the “Aji Amarillo” as well as the “Huacatay” I got three of each last time I ordered from Amazon, shared one of each with a buddy.
It really is superior when rotisserie method is used, I tried it straight indirect method and it was not as good. It’s a great flavor profile, the green sauce is critical. And IF there is any left, shred the meat and put some of the sauce on it with maybe a little diced celery? Incredible chicken salad!

Thanks Michael, I was hoping it was the one I posted here a few months ago, that one got a delicious rating from myself and DH. Now we will have to give your recipe a try. lol

That Raichlen version is really killer! Pull the trigger, trust me!
There is a Latino grocery store that carries the “Aji Amarillo” as well as the “Huacatay” I got three of each last time I ordered from Amazon, shared one of each with a buddy.
It really is superior when rotisserie method is used, I tried it straight indirect method and it was not as good. It’s a great flavor profile, the green sauce is critical. And IF there is any left, shred the meat and put some of the sauce on it with maybe a little diced celery? Incredible chicken salad!
Ok I just purchased both, to do here soon. I don't have the rotisserie yet, but can't wait to try this recipe on it when I do (the roto is the next big bbq purchase planned here). I could not agree more that this dows not work indirect, I actually wanted to come back to add that you want NEED that char on the chicken, a golden brown chicken does not work for this dish. I planed to put each piece right over the vortex at the end to get that char, but everything went so smooth last night that I had that char without much work. The breast meat skin come off before/while cutting and my daughter and I just ate it, but the thigh meat skin stayed really nice while cutting. That is the best chicken skin ever!

Last question, seeing that it's a paste/marinade I'm assuming combine all the ingredients rub on the chicken and let marinade in the fridge for how long?
Really want to try this.
Thanks for posting the recipe.

Last question, seeing that it's a paste/marinade I'm assuming combine all the ingredients rub on the chicken and let marinade in the fridge for how long?
Really want to try this.
Thanks for posting the recipe.
Rich,
Yeah I mix it all together and get it on the chicken. The goal is 24 hours in the frig, but I almost also seem to not get it done until the morning of. Get it blacken and look for a good green sauce to go with it!

Looks great Michael. My wife's from Peru, we use the Aji Amarillo and Huacatay sauce quite a bit. Go ahead and pull the trigger on it.

Now do you all see why I keep urging you all to post a recipe with your pictures. It is nice to know how you use your grill/grills, but it is also nice to know what you put on the grill/grills. ;)

Looks great Michael. My wife's from Peru, we use the Aji Amarillo and Huacatay sauce quite a bit. Go ahead and pull the trigger on it.
Yeah,
I just got bone-in thighs and legs for $0.99 per pound and also picked up a bone-in breast for my two kids that won't eat the dark meat. The Aji Amarillo and Huacatay are supposed to be here Wednesday. I will be going for Raichlen's recipe here very soon!

Your MT is a real workhorse. I've put this recipe in the 'que cue. And I just picked up a whole chicken this weekend. Looks like peruvian rotisserie chicken could be on the menu next weekend. I wish my wife was like your kids and didn't like dark meat so I wouldn't have to share! ;)

Back