Performer v. Performer deluxe review

Pat, I have the Mr Heater version which shows up when you click your link. I think I like your version better I originally bought mine so the damn tank would not roll all over the place when I was going to get it filled and that solved the problem stick it upright in the SUV and it stays there unless you drive like a maniac. :) The thing I don't like about it as its a very solid fit and a pain to get a full tank out of it.

I've had both, and I kept the one with the gas assist. I use it all of the time, except when doing low and slow with the SNS. Most of the time I'm doing around 350F, using the SNS, and lighting the chimney over the propane. Works great. I agree that using a starter when doing low and slow was just as easy if not easier. I wouldn't buy another without the gas though.

I will be handing down my Performer Premium to my son in law now the new Deluxe has arrived an is functional. I never minded using the starter cubes really, I have done it quite a while. But now that I have fired a couple of chimneys on the Deluxe, it is a very nice convenience.

I will be handing down my Performer Premium to my son in law now the new Deluxe has arrived an is functional. I never minded using the starter cubes really, I have done it quite a while. But now that I have fired a couple of chimneys on the Deluxe, it is a very nice convenience.
That bad boy deserves its own thread!! What are you cooking tonight?

I have an SSP Performer and feel like it's the best single grill you can own. The idea of not using the gas assist is ridiculous to me. Lol.

When I have to light my coals for the grill when we're out in the camper I miss my gas assist something fierce.

The idea of having gas assist but using a starter cube is just crazy to me. If a coal basket setup inhibited my use of the gas assist, I'd get a new basket setup.

Gas assist for 5 minutes on the chimney and it's all she wrote. Nothing I've ever used is easier.

I have an SSP Performer and feel like it's the best single grill you can own. The idea of not using the gas assist is ridiculous to me. Lol.

When I have to light my coals for the grill when we're out in the camper I miss my gas assist something fierce.

The idea of having gas assist but using a starter cube is just crazy to me. If a coal basket setup inhibited my use of the gas assist, I'd get a new basket setup.

Gas assist for 5 minutes on the chimney and it's all she wrote. Nothing I've ever used is easier.
I was able to easily start my chimney and keep my SNS in place! Awesome !!

That bad boy deserves its own thread!! What are you cooking tonight?
Threw on a T-bone I had thawed out. It wasn't a very good cut, Select I'm sure. Potato and corn.
I kind of had to sneak a cook in because my wife is on a full liquid diet for another week after having surgery.
When we get her healed up, I have a nice beef pot roast I would like to smoke. I'll post something up when I have the time to do it right.

the push button start became hit and miss with mine so I ended up lighting the gas assist with a lighter, when the last tank ran out of gas I started using the weber lighter cubes with chimney and have been using them ever since ....

the push button start became hit and miss with mine so I ended up lighting the gas assist with a lighter, when the last tank ran out of gas I started using the weber lighter cubes with chimney and have been using them ever since ....
Why would it be a hit and miss out of curiousity? I posted this somewhere before in another thread I had the same problem kind off nothing to do with the igniter but mine was used a 2013 model turns out the plastic knob after years of use was actually slipping on the valve extremely hard to detect which I ended up turning it way to much after awhile sometimes it worked others it did not. Then I did a web search some people for the fix would squeeze the plastic knob you really do not need to turn that knob on very much by the way.

I ended up taking a screwdrive from behind the knob popped out easily then used some gorilla contact cement on the shaft and inside of the knob been working like new since that fix years ago.

Why would it be a hit and miss out of curiousity? I posted this somewhere before in another thread I had the same problem kind off nothing to do with the igniter but mine was used a 2013 model turns out the plastic knob after years of use was actually slipping on the valve extremely hard to detect which I ended up turning it way to much after awhile sometimes it worked others it did not. Then I did a web search some people for the fix would squeeze the plastic knob you really do not need to turn that knob on very much by the way.

I ended up taking a screwdrive from behind the knob popped out easily then used some gorilla contact cement on the shaft and inside of the knob been working like new since that fix years ago.
the spark generator degraded, I never covered the kettle so it sat outside exposed to the elements all year round...also it seemed sometimes it wouldnt light unless I let gas build up in the tube.... I could have fixed it but chose not to , I had a bunch of starter cubes I received as gifts and just kept using them

Well I had a SSP , that rusted away. I got another performer with gas assist and never turned back I have had 4 GA performers and love them. My favorite grill to cook on, it can do so much.

Just picked up a Performer Platinum here in Toronto for $150 Canadian (which is like $3 US :LOL:) and am just figuring things out. I assumed I could just dump the charcoal on the grate and light it up with the gas, but is it better to use the gas to start a chimney?

(Oh, and Boomer Sooner! OU 2012)

Just picked up a Performer Platinum here in Toronto for $150 Canadian (which is like $3 US :LOL:) and am just figuring things out. I assumed I could just dump the charcoal on the grate and light it up with the gas, but is it better to use the gas to start a chimney?

I always use a chimney on my performer lighting it up with the gas assist but I generally use baskets so I put charcoal in the baskets light about 14 briqs in the chimney then dump them evenly over the baskets. Depends what you are cooking if you were doing a bunch of burgers it would still be easier in my mind to light up a full chimney then dump the coals over the charcoal grate.

I only run the gas 4 or 5 minutes on low under the chimney and then let it do its own thing. I am never in a hurry when I do charcoal if I was in a hurry I would just fire up the silver c.

In short yes, if you use a chimney then you can place the coals where you would like them, in baskets,slow and sear, or just lay them against the back wall of the grill. If you have made your snake set up you can start just a few and dump those,or place them at your snakes head. You can start your coals in the baskets also.

I usually just place the baskets over the gas and wait 5 minutes and turn off the gas. Same for the Bro-N-Sear. Chimney would probably get more coals hotter quicker but just using the baskets works fine.

Yes, I still use my chimney. You can use it with a pile or in the char baskets, but my experience is the chimney works the best. I leave the gas on for about 5 minutes, then turn it off and let the coals finish lighting. When the flames are shooting from the top and the top coals are just starting to get gray on the edges I pour them into the char baskets and get it on!

And, Boomer Sooner!
ou-boomer.gif

Back