performer charcoal baskets

I've used them for a few cooks, but still not convinced of the value of them. I had previously bought the rails and found them a little more useful as I can move them closer to the center and bank the coals onto the side. Then I read somewhere (probably here) about fire bricks and have never looked back. I think the baskets and rails are somewhere in the mess I call a storage shed.

When I got my OTG, I bought a pair of the baskets. Right after I bought the grill I discovered thin fire bricks. I have never used the baskets. I've done a lot of indirect on my grill before I got my WSM and still do some but the fire bricks with the coals on one side are a superior set up for me...

FWIW
Dale53

I use them on each end for indirect cooks. Plus, its easy to add unlit coals to them if you place them under the flip up ends of the grate. it's also really easy to move them with tongs, rather than trying to move around loose coals.

I always use baskets, made my own since I like to weld. i wanted a more capacity for longer cooks without having to add coal, so I made them a little bigger than webers.

don't lift the lid...

Yet another basket user. Something about their design makes them work for indirect the same as if you put in bricks. I typically fire one basket and set it to the side so I'm mostly cooking indirect then finishing with a sear directly over the basket.

I like this size just right as you say good for longer cooks.
I use the Weber baskets all the time but the larger ones would be great to have handy.

Personally I like the bricks better. I have the baskets and use them for certain cooks - but most low and slow jobs get the bricks.

1542AF78-EC21-4FA3-A8F1-4B8BA1CC4041-4360-000002F33C278867.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Wire-Charcoal-Biquette-Basket-Replacement-960080-for-Performer-2-Pack-/371008624230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5661d65666#ht_1543wt_906

I got my wire charcoal baskets off eBay. Sturdy build, higher capacity than the stamped metal baskets, and MUCH better air circulation. HIGHLY recommended investment.

Thanks for the link on this. I have been looking for some like this for a while now. A little pricey but worth it. Picture below shows the difference in the new and old ones. The old ones are much better for doing reverse sear because the charcoal is right up next to the grate for the searing.

Charcoalbaskets_zpsb5bdd657.jpg

I never use the baskets opposite each other anymore. I take them apart and use the flat parts as an adjustable charcoal rail.

One of the coolest things about Webers is that you can cook just as evenly with all the coals to one side. For instance, I didn't rotate these chickens much, or maybe even not at all. It's amazing how close you can put the meat to the charcoal without cooking unevenly, and you obviously can fit a LOT more on with only one pile of charcoal. If you look closely you can see the charcoal basket rail underneath on the far side of my 26er here.

If one is concerned about hot coals damaging the side of the bowl over time, I'd use an expanded metal basket. The other drawback to the Weber baskets is that they direct the heat UP. However, they're really great in the middle for cooking around and searing over.

Dave that pic is exactly what i was looking for, thanks everyone so much for all the posts and input,

I took my baskets apart and only use the two long straight 90 degree pcs. I pit the angle side under the charcoal to help hold them down. You can make the charcoal side as big or small as you want by sliding the halves together or apart. I start my chimney on the other side of the fence and then dump it over. Great for high heat. Throw a foil plate over the coals and you have a smokenator.

I've had good results with the "new" charcoal baskets, but really like the looks of the old heavy wire kind. Noticed the Weber item # in the eBay listing posted above. Should make them a little easier to track down on the World Wide Web...

Replacement Weber part number 960080

I'll post a link if I find a good source for them. I always start with Amazon, then go to Google.

I already tried that Jeff.
Came up with a couple of places that supposedly had them, for twenty something per basket, but don't know the shipping cost.

Back