performer charcoal baskets

Mark P

TVWBB Member
I saw a pic of someone banking their coals on the side and it looked like the baskets come apart and made more space for coals, I see the tabs on the sides however is their some way to configure the two together? thanks

The way I use the pair of Weber baskets is pretty flexible. With the curved side you can put one in on one side, both in across from each othe (leaving middle open for drip tray or indirect heat) or when I use the center sear grate, push both baskets together, in the center, and the screaming hot center leaves the outside rim of 6 inch or so border as your indirect/safe/warm zone. The two half/moon shapes go together and line up great with the size of the sear grate. Those baskets work great for creating different cooking zones. Best bang for your buck of an accessory for the kettle, in my opinion. Gives you simple set-up & control of a lot of different methods.

Number 4 here, the baskets are awesome and I just push them together or pull them apart. If you really wanted to connect them together for some reason, just use wire.

Well what the heck I'll be number 6 I use mine in the performer just put them over the outlet of the charcoal lighter and when lit move them to whatever setup you need.

I'm with Dean....don't use them. Prefer to use charcoal rails instead. Usually only one rail at that with coals banked to one side. Found I get more heat and better sear that way. Just me.....but I think the baskets are too small.

When I had a performer I used them most of the time,they do ad some flexibility in my mind. When doing beer can chicken I would form a Vee with them at one side and put the chicken at the opposite end. One benefit of using them is it makes reusing the charcoal that much easier since all you have to do is pick the bin up and dump it in the chimney.

I have thought about getting a set to use in my smokey mountain for when I need to use it as a grill.

I use them in my Performer for indirect, and direct just like many have said either pushed together or apart.
My original set that came with my performer where made of round steel rod curved and welded, they lasted forever. When I finally had to replace I ordered from Weber and the "New" style stamped metal were sent.
They did not last nearly as long, when I had to replace them I was able to find the steel rod style again. They are more money but a bit larger and well worth it.

I use mine pretty regular, just depends which kettle I'm using. Even mashed the bottoms a bit flatter so they fit
under the JJ food grate when needed as an intense sear monster, coals are like an inch below the cooking surface.

Guess I'm in the minority; I never use them. I use firebricks or pavers for indirect, the steel ring from my Smoke EZ to make a hot fire in the center for steaks.

Slightly off subject but does anyone know of a source where I can buy the old style of charcoal baskets like those that came with older Performers with the stainless steel tables?

Slightly off subject but does anyone know of a source where I can buy the old style of charcoal baskets like those that came with older Performers with the stainless steel tables?

Don, Yes I was able to find them on Amazon last year from Hungry Piranha. I checked with them after my last post and he replied back that they are no long available. :mad:

Back