Pellets

Sorry for the delay. Here's the amateur tape job but it seemed to help with pellet feed. I filled in the gaps after I shot the picture. More testing when I do a longer cook. Pellet  Ramp 1.JPG

Sorry for the delay. Here's the amateur tape job but it seemed to help with pellet feed. I filled in the gaps after I shot the picture. More testing when I do a longer cook. View attachment 8733
Thank you, Lew. Did you remove the finger guard as well? I can’t recall... I’ll give the pellet ramp I have a try, as it seems to be the new one, before doing anything.

I did remove the finger guard and that makes a big difference in pellet flow. When you remove yours stuff a rag down into the chute so the screws don't fall down to the auger. Don't forget to remove the rag before you load pellets. :) If I had the new ramp I would definitely install it. I think the steeper slope will make a difference but I would still remove the finger guard.

My Camp Chef appears to eat any pellet fed to it. I've used a no name from Safeway brand, was okay but nothing to get excited about with almost no smoke flavor. Of those that I have tried I like the pit boss competition blead the best for most smoking so far. Lumber Jack Cherry / Apple is great for bacon with a nice mild smoke flavor. I have a bag of Weber apple that I picked up on sale I haven't tried yet may use that on a pork roast that's coming up.

Last edited:
Rich,
I am looking forward to trying Pit Boss Competition myself. Will have to land in a house and get my Rec Tec moved there first. If you want to spring for something else to try, I recommend the Weber GrillMaster. I would like to see how it compares to the Pit Boss Competition that costs a lot less.

Rich,
I am looking forward to trying Pit Boss Competition myself. Will have to land in a house and get my Rec Tec moved there first. If you want to spring for something else to try, I recommend the Weber GrillMaster. I would like to see how it compares to the Pit Boss Competition that costs a lot less.
The Weber grillmaster with the maple hickory and cherry sounds like a nice blend. I'm going to get some individual bags of cherry, hickory, apple, mesquite and whatever else I can find and make some blends of my own.

Rich, the problem you might find with that is when you buy a bag of 'cherry' it's usually 70-80% oak or alder and 20-30% cherry in many brands. The same ratio often applies to all single flavors in those brands. Many or maybe most of the special blends leave out the base wood and give you 100% flavor woods in advertised or secret ratios. CookinPellets and Lumberjack are the only I've found in what I've tried that offer 100% single species. Lumberjack also does oak/flavor though too, so you have to shop carefully to get their 100% flavor bags and not a 70/30.

So if you mix Traeger Cherry, Hickory and Apple, you're going to likely end up with 70% oak or alder (depending on if the bags originate from east or west of the Mississippi), 10 percent cherry, 10 percent apple and 10 percent hickory.

Back