Pellets

Pit Boss pellets I bought arrived a couple of day ago. They are the larger diameter so the EX6 may not like them as much as the smaller diameter pellets from Weber or Lumberjack. Couldn't beat the price though at $16.50 per 40lb bag delivered.

Pit Boss pellets I bought arrived a couple of day ago. They are the larger diameter so the EX6 may not like them as much as the smaller diameter pellets from Weber or Lumberjack. Couldn't beat the price though at $16.50 per 40lb bag delivered.
Let us know how those work out, my Lowes carries those 40 pound bags and I’ve been tempted to try.

I have been trying out cookinpellets in the smoke fire this week, so far using them I haven’t manage to get over 460 degrees! Not good for the grilling that I have been trying to do, although I think low and slow would be fine!

I have been trying out cookinpellets in the smoke fire this week, so far using them I haven’t manage to get over 460 degrees! Not good for the grilling that I have been trying to do, although I think low and slow would be fine!

I haven't used my CookinPellets.com for other than to do low and slow, so I guess I can't say for sure how they would perform on my Rec Tec with it wide open. I can say that I think they smoke (and smell) really good!

I ordered my EX6 and my first question bumps this thread. I have about 60 lbs of Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets. How good do they work in the SF?

I ordered my EX6 and my first question bumps this thread. I have about 60 lbs of Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets. How good do they work in the SF?
They are bigger in diameter than the Weber pellets but I have not tried them. I think some people have had issues with pit boss pellets. I think Bruno used them recently so he may have more insight.

They are bigger in diameter than the Weber pellets but I have not tried them. I think some people have had issues with pit boss pellets. I think Bruno used them recently so he may have more insight.
I’ve only used Weber, I try to keep it simple, less variables for anything to go wrong.

If you have the firmware/software updates, about the only problem will be on long runs. You can search this forum and we have discussed this before. The only larger pellet that I have found are the PB but I am using them due to cost. There is a new Scheel's (sporting goods) nearby that have pellets priced midway between PB and others. They are $24 per 40 lbs. I will try them just to learn about the options. (Currently have a batch on jerky on with SmokeBoost.)

I am wanting to try those Pit Boss Competition pellets in my Rec Tec because I have heard good things about them and the price is great. However, the best pellets I have used so far are Weber's GrillMaster blend.

If you have the firmware/software updates, about the only problem will be on long runs. You can search this forum and we have discussed this before. The only larger pellet that I have found are the PB but I am using them due to cost. There is a new Scheel's (sporting goods) nearby that have pellets priced midway between PB and others. They are $24 per 40 lbs. I will try them just to learn about the options. (Currently have a batch on jerky on with SmokeBoost.)
I tried Lumberjack Hickory, Green Mountain Grills blend, PB blend, and PB Hickory in my Camp Chef and couldn't tell the difference so I stick with the PB Competition Blend (cheap) and my family really likes the taste. Experiment with different brands is how we find works best for us.

I am wanting to try those Pit Boss Competition pellets in my Rec Tec because I have heard good things about them and the price is great. However, the best pellets I have used so far are Weber's GrillMaster blend.
Jon,, with the Rec Tec Controller I can hit 550° using the PB blend. I'm going to get a bag of the Weber Grillmaster Blend because you've NEVER steered me wrong.:)

What variety of CookinPellets? That's a bummer it hasn't gotten up to full temp, CookinPellets are my favorite and I just bought 7 more bags on a sale they had a couple months ago to add to the 2-3 I already had. I use mostly 100% hickory, but picked up a couple or their perfect mix too. I wonder if it's because of the lack of Oak in their pellets? I've never had any problems getting my other pellet grills up to full temp with them though, but never ran any through the SmokeFire the first time around, just the Weber pellets.

What variety of CookinPellets? That's a bummer it hasn't gotten up to full temp, CookinPellets are my favorite and I just bought 7 more bags on a sale they had a couple months ago to add to the 2-3 I already had. I use mostly 100% hickory, but picked up a couple or their perfect mix too. I wonder if it's because of the lack of Oak in their pellets? I've never had any problems getting my other pellet grills up to full temp with them though, but never ran any through the SmokeFire the first time around, just the Weber pellets.

Their "Perfect Mix" is another favorite of mine.

Now that I have the grill I answered my own question about Pit Boss pellets. I made 2 mods to the EX6 pellet hopper. I removed the finger guard and put UHMW tape on the long sloping side. I ran it for 4 hours and it kept feeding the pellets. I shut down because I had to leave the house. The grill took 18 minutes to get to 600° and it stayed there so the pellets run hot enough. I hope my luck continues.

Now that I have the grill I answered my own question about Pit Boss pellets. I made 2 mods to the EX6 pellet hopper. I removed the finger guard and put UHMW tape on the long sloping side. I ran it for 4 hours and it kept feeding the pellets. I shut down because I had to leave the house. The grill took 18 minutes to get to 600° and it stayed there so the pellets run hot enough. I hope my luck continues.
Can you post a picture of how you have the tape?

I will but I'll have to empty the hopper and wait until daylight. There's not much to see. The tape is clear, 2" wide, and I ran 3 strips down the ramp to what I think is the pellet dump door. I need to empty the hopper because I'm want to look at the short section between the dump and chute and add another piece if there's space. I'm not sure exactly what I saw there. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Back