Pellets

KevinD

When I first got my SmokeFire I tried used a brand X pellets and kept getting error codes. I vacuumed them out and used the Weber pellets with success. Has anyone had success using Traeger pellets? The Weber pellets are slightly smaller.

I am surprised you said that, because I thought the Weber pellets were unusually long - although some say more slender.

I can only say that my Rec Tec works fine with Weber pellets as well as Lumberjack, CookinPellets.com and Rec Tec's house blend. I have never tried Traeger pellets but have never heard much to really recommend them. Having not used them at all, I am not trying to be critical. Some others are rather critical of them. I am open to other views.

I have been surprised how many people have said good things about Pit Boss pellets. Their Competition Blend gets some favorable comments and is a real bargain at Lowes.

I personally LOVE Weber GrillMaster Blend. My wife does not like smoked foods and even she said the ribs I brought in cooked with Weber GM "smell really good!" They are rather pricey, but to me they smell the best of any pellets I have tried. Close comparison to CookinPellets.com "Perfect Mix" which I also really like.

Lumberjack is also a great company. I have some of their blends I haven't even tried yet. One big plus for them is that they offer a number of 100% pure wood types. So, if you want JUST applewood or 100% cherry, you can have that. (All of Weber's pellets are blends - high quality it appears but not single wood type.) Lumberjack's 100% offerings are also good if you want to make your own blends starting with individual wood types.

I just ordered four bags of 40lb Pitboss pellets from Lowes.com for like $65 delivered. I needed some cheap pellets around and now I can't order Weber pellets from Lowe's. I do think the SmokeFire runs better on the smaller pellets. They are not unique to Weber. Lumberjack pellets were smaller in diameter like the Weber pellets. I'm hoping the Pitboss pellets will be as well. For $15 for 40 pounds, it's going to burn them either way. lol

I was looking at Lumber Jack's website and noticed that there "Competition Blend" is essentially identical to Weber's "GrillMaster Blend." Both are about 1/3 each of Maple, Hickory and Cherry. Maybe someday I can try back to back comparisons. I don't think you would go wrong with either one - or some of the other better ones we have mentioned.

Dave,
Let us know which Pit Boss pellet types you bought and what you think of them. I can't load up since we plan to move in two months or so. I already have too many pellets, but I might still try their Apple since that is one important type I don't have in stock.

There is no place close to me where you can buy Lumber Jack. When I move, there is a Rural World less than an hour away who sells Lumber Jack at great prices. Lowe's seems to only have Weber Hickory and GrillMaster. Before things went ballistic, I ordered Weber Cherry along with the GrillMaster. Haven't tried it yet, but hope to have feedback soon.

I seem to remember that the Smokefire's ability to burn all popular pellets part of the initial sales pitch, does anyone else recall that?

I seem to remember that the Smokefire's ability to burn all popular pellets part of the initial sales pitch, does anyone else recall that?
It is what they said, seems to be a little back tracking. That being said I LOVE the grill master blend and have had zero issues. I liked the Weber Apple as well, I have a bag of each type I’d like to try.

Based upon experience, what pellets work in the SmokeFire? John C thank you for your opinion. I have a 33# bag of Traeger pellets.

Based upon experience, what pellets work in the SmokeFire? John C thank you for your opinion. I have a 33# bag of Traeger pellets.
I've used Traeger and Weber pellets. They both work but personally I think the Weber pellets work better. I have had less tunneling with the smaller pellets. I can't speak about other brands. Any should work but you might need to keep a closer eye on things with other brands.

I posted this on another site. Apparently price may not be the proper factor to consider when buying pellets.

I have heard several comments about pellet size and whether that would affect SmokeFire startup. So I got out my calipers.

Weber Comp. - 0.216 to 0.220 inches
Cabelas Comp. - 0.220 inches
Lumberjack Hickory - tight at 0.222 inches
Pit Boss Comp - 0.255 to 0.260 inches
Shokehouse Mix - 0.270 inches (a late find)

Meathead at AmazingRibs found a difference using Weber pellets for startup. I would not argue with that. It may be due to size only. I would bet that Lumberjack pellets work fine also in the SmokeFire based upon their size alone. The Pit Boss is an ~20% increase in diameter (and volume). This may cause problems for pellet flow into the firebox and burnt ash falling out of the firebox in some cases.

Last edited:
My EX4 stopped in the middle of my cook Sunday due to poor pellet feed. Emptied all out and vacuumed auger Monday after it failed to fire three times, then it worked. Watched Harry Soo's video about the new welded chute and sent Weber a couple of emails Monday.
No reply to my emails so I called again today and was told a 4 minute wait. A rep answered 25 minutes later and I have a welded chute ordered. Two weeks away as they are back-ordered. He has owned one since January and recommends emptying the hopper and vacuuming the auger every several cooks to prevent sawdust buildup. Bottom of the bag or ?

Just bought a 20lb bag of Pit Boss Applewood blend ($9.99 at Lowes). I hope to try soon and report my findings. From what I have read, Pit Boss pellets are real wood and not flavor oils, etc. Just like Weber's they are all blends rather than 100% of a particular wood. I would like to have also gotten the 40lb bag of Pit Boss Competition blend (only $14.99 at Lowes), but I already have way too many pellets and will be moving in June. That experiment will have to wait...

How about the PitBoss 820 grill itself -anyone heard how they are holding up, and are they a viable alternative to CampChef or others in that range?

Back