Pellet Grills?

N Cage

Guys what your opinions on pellet grills? I have one and honestly i'm thinking on getting rid of it. I actually have used it quite a bit but i don't know every time i eat Q from the pellet i just think on how much better it would have been if i would have cooked it on the WSM. The big thing is the convenience of course. Set and forget it. It just don't taste much smoky flavor out of a pellet. Ya i've went down different paths of trying to use different pellets & using A-MAZE-N Smoker and honestly its taking away the convenience for not much payback. Though i admit i use it quite a bit because of the convenience. Also if i want to get my next toy (a blackstone griddle) i have to get rid of the pellet because honestly we don't have room.

N Cage,
I am not a pellet smoker guy so I can't comment on that, but after reading your post, have you thought about getting rid of the pellet smoker and getting an ATC system for you WSM. I think it would be the perfect compromise to get closer to set it and forgot with more BBQ taste.

N Cage,
I am not a pellet smoker guy so I can't comment on that, but after reading your post, have you thought about getting rid of the pellet smoker and getting an ATC system for you WSM. I think it would be the perfect compromise to get closer to set it and forgot with more BBQ taste.
Its that similar to a bbq guru? If so i have one of those and thats the direction i'll probably be going.

Last edited:
I personally have compared my ribs- brisket from my wsm to some from a pellet smoker and both were good but I thought the wsm added a bit more smoke flavor....

I think the pellet smoker is pretty versatile, I like a lot of things about different smokers and there's no 1 smoker that can do it all regardless of what folks say, I think the electric smoker is the best for some things that require a low smoking temp that is hard to control on any other smoker without hovering. the only style of smoker that I have never had or used is a drum smoker. heard good things just never pulled the trigger, my weber can do alot on a small scale with little hands on for hours at a time. like my cooking toys to the disappointment of the wife lol

I've had an 18" WSM for over 15 years and it was my first "smoker". Used a 22" kettle to smoke with before that. I built a UDS with parts from my old kettle because I wanted more capacity. Purchased a Weber Genesis gas grill to replace my old kettle. Then purchased a 26" Kettle because I wanted to get back into charcoal grilling. O purchased a pellet grill 2 years ago. Which is better, it depends. They all have their place. For quick setup and convenience of not have to watch it too close, the pellet is great. I have cooked some great bbq on it. I've won trophies in charity rib and wing cook-offs using my WSM and kettle. I will say since I purchased my pellet, I only use my gas grill to light my charcoal chimney with the side burner.

I had a 18.5 WSM for about 5-6 years and did nothing but fight with it. Living in the mountains at over 5600 ft. and the constant swirling winds it was a constant challenge to keep temps even close to what I needed.
Sold the WSM and bought a Camp Chef pellet grill and all is well.
It is rock steady, winds, altitude don't phase it. More room and less problems exactly what I was looking for.
I will say that the smoke flavor isn't as strong as the WSM could produce but myself and Barb are not fans of heavy smoke flavor so it works out okay.

We all have different needs and circumstances and it sounds like what's best for me isn't best for you. I have switched from charcoal to pellet grills and my family likes the taste. If you prefer the taste from your charcoal cookers then sell the pellet pooper and use your BBQ Guru. Have fun and enjoy your griddle.

Every pellet grill has it‘s own smoke profile. From experience, Weber and Memphis give more than most others I’ve had. I think MAK is up there too. Still less smoke than my WSCG, but not near as much less as my Traegers provided. I know you’ve said you’ve tried different pellets, but have you tried CookinPellets or LumberJack 100% hickory and run the first couple hours like 180-220?

I went from a WSM18 to the MAK. I get a bit less smoke, but still enough for me.
As @ShaneF said, running the first couple of hours around 200 helps. Moist meat also atracts more smoke.

I own a 22.5 WSM, a Weber kettle and a Traeger pro 22 with a Savannah Stoker PID controller which holds temp great. But if I had to get rid of one tomorrow it would be the pellet grill. About all I use it for is cooking chicken and fish.

I own a 22.5 WSM, a Weber kettle and a Traeger pro 22 with a Savannah Stoker PID controller which holds temp great. But if I had to get rid of one tomorrow it would be the pellet grill. About all I use it for is cooking chicken and fish.
That‘s the thing with pellet grIlls, wireless thermometers became the norm and everyone started freaking about +/- 25 degree swings so the PIDs became super popular. The problem is holding +/- 5 degrees on most pellet grills (especially those designed like the Traeger) produces far less smoke flavor. My Junior Elite and Texas Elite with stock controllers cooked with more smoke than my Pro 575 and Silverton....by a long shot.

Weber, Camp Chef and Grilla all know this and offer super/boost smoke modes that switch over to more timing based and let pellets smolder more and note that temps will fluctuate in this mode.

To this day, I have never, ever tasted meat from a pellet grill before, and it kills me! I want to so badly, just for the experience fueled by my curiosity. I see all the silly memes about 'EZ bake ovens' and all that jazz, but sometimes I wonder if the memes are created out of jealousy, because it looks like pellet grills are wildly convenient.

Three big factors have prevented me from purchasing one: 1.) price -- top level pellet cookers are quite expensive (well, to me they definitely are) and 2.) I do enjoy a rich smoke flavor in my meat, and oftentimes I see criticisms that pellet grills don't impart much of a smoke flavor. However, this could be key for me, because a couple of my family members aren't big on a rich smoke taste. 3.) Lack of room -- with the kettle, WSM, three drum smokers, an offset stick burner, two different Blackstone griddles and a backup grill, I don't have room for much else at this time (even though I'm looking for an 18" WSM for cheap eventually).

I was helping some acquaintances pack up some heavy furniture a couple of weeks ago. They moved from VA all the way out to Wyoming. They were getting rid of quite a bit of things. The man of the house was selling his Pit Boss pellet grill for $70. I nearly pulled the trigger on it, for the cheap price alone, but I didn't do it. I have also heard mixed reviews of Pit Boss pellet grills, but even if they are subpar, for $70 it would have been a steal. A family-friend who was helping with the moving that day purchased it. He's so freakin' busy, so it might be a while, but I'm excited about tasting the food cooked in it whenever he gets around to throwing something together.

I enjoy barbecuing while away from home, and being several miles from any sources of electricity as well. I'm an outdoors enthusiast and love being out in the mountains and woods, so that's another factor for me as well. Even with saying all this as precautions, if I had the 'eff you' money to spend, and the room, I would probably buy a Rec Teq because I have heard nothing but amazing things out of their pellet grills and customer service.

I love the prospect of precise temperature control, the convenience of it all, etc. however. It sounds nice. @ShaneF -- you clearly know your stuff! Really enjoy your posts and insights.

Didn't mean to blabber on and on... I'm long-winded. @N Cage -- Blackstone griddles are incredible. I love mine. One of my all-time favorite investments. I have big parties for my family, and being able to knock out a horde of burgers and other grub all at once is an amazing feature. It is a fantastic addition to an outdoor cooking area. I remember posting about mine on here when I first got it in 2017, and a user replied and said "There's not much interest on here when it comes to them" (paraphrased) LOL. Well, it is what it is. Weber-based forum or not, it is an awesome griddle and has provided a horde (and then some) of satiating, delicious meals for my family and me the last 3+ years. Good luck with your decision.

Back