Pellet grills

Feeding solid fuel by an auger is nothing new and I am sure patents if there ever were any have run out

Well I had to go to Wally's and Safeway is just two blocks away so I made a stop there. I checked out the grills and found out they are a model ZPG 700 C. I couldn't find out a lot about that model # but it appears to be maybe a 2018 model.
I'm still impressed with the quality of the grill the newer model of this grill is here on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01L1TFG66/tvwb-20

It looks identical to the newer version.
I did note one thing although it does have a built in probe for the grill temperature there is no jack for a meat probe. Not a big problem if you have a maverick or Smoke. If you want Wi Fi this isn't the grill for you.
But for under $300 if they have the coupon for Memorial day it might be a nice add on to a grill fleet.

Last edited:
Good looking grill for the price. One thing that caught my eye was the internal view of the auger, I know Weber didn’t invent it but the auger design on the SmokeFire just makes so much sense.

Great info Rich I need to stop in and check these out, andcatcthat price very worth while to buy into.

Then just add me a gas grill and I am pretty well set .

I started doing a search for used pellet grills in ATL and there are a number of them showing up a few used once or twice some new at discounted prices guessing scratch and dent. The ones used once or twice trying to get that, were those buyers thinking it was a do everything grill, not understand how to use it properly. Afraid if they had it on their deck with an electrical cord and down here a thunderstorm out of nowhere maybe damages the grill no idea.

Here is a Traeger new some scratches the price looks very good but I really don't know much about these pellet grills, even I am starting to get interested if a used one comes up at the right price my UDS won't last forever and I have my Silver C on the deck but I have a covered area ground level where my UDS and Performer resides with power so rain no problem.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2653530258036068/

That's not bad, Brian. I would personally look for a used Rec Tec, especially since you are in Georgia where they are assembled. Even one with some miles on it would be supported by Rec Tec and can most likely be upgraded for newer electronics if you chose to do so at some point.

Brian, I agree with Jon. It took a few months wait and checking listings but 2 years ago a Rec Tec finally came up on Craigslist. I bought it and Rec Tec customer support has been great. When they came out with their new line they made the WIFI controller available for half price for about 6 months. I got it and upgraded the controller myself. Their controllers are great. As close as you are to Augusta it would be worth a call to see if they have any used grills on hand. (706) 922-0890 I don't get anything for sending business their way.

That said, that Traeger has a lot of cooking space and you could probably get it for $400.

Unless you’re going after an older USA built Traeger I don’t think I’d waste my time. My friend is a traeger dealer and he tried for 2 years to get me to buy one and got some awesome pricing he offered me too. But I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I was almost tempted when the ironwood came out as it finally felt better more durable.

They just feel cheap. And how are they any better than the no name brands that Walmart and samsclub and every other big store sells. You can buy an aftermarket controller and they’re plus and play with all of them. The augers are the same. They’re all basically the same.

I did score a good deal on a USA built low serial number bbq124. And now that I have the Smokefire coming maybe I’ll have the 124 restored and sell it.

Good advice all, in no real hurry UDS has plenty of legs left on it but thinking get thru another grilling season and see what starts popping up in the fall. I will do some research on the Rec Tec's for sure.

B good article on the new Rec Tec facility and am sure that event must be a blast maybe one year I will get over there.

In this article they speak of a scratch & dent and used sale scheduled for February 15 during their grand opening at a new location: http://metrospirit.com/rec-tec-grills-settles-into-forme r-quad-graphics/

That’s a pretty cool article! Thanks for posting. I have always felt that the Rec Tec company is something a little like Weber was back in the early days. Ray Carnes strikes me like a modern, but southern, version of George Stephen :george: barnstorming the country preaching the message of the barbecue grill he passionately believes in. Rec Tec makes really good grills. They are purposely in the middle market, so, no they aren’t on the level of the very high end pellet grills, but they also cost half or less. But they do bring to the middle market better materials, top notch electronics, and - most importantly - great customer service sincerely reflecting the family-owned nature of their company. The article does a great job of giving perspective on that.

Rich was on this early with an inside agent at their supermarket. Today at Albertsons they had a ZGrill Pellet Grill for $199 for Labor Day. It was poorly displayed so everyone would walk past the stack of boxes on the way in and would have to turn around to look back at the grill. I suggested that he turn it sideways so it was visible to everyone walking in and mentioned he might want to put a few bags of pellets in the vicinity instead of way back in the store. You could see the wheels turning.......

Rich was on this early with an inside agent at their supermarket. Today at Albertsons they had a ZGrill Pellet Grill for $199 for Labor Day. It was poorly displayed so everyone would walk past the stack of boxes on the way in and would have to turn around to look back at the grill. I suggested that he turn it sideways so it was visible to everyone walking in and mentioned he might want to put a few bags of pellets in the vicinity instead of way back in the store. You could see the wheels turning.......
They have 3 at my Safeway and I have been keeping an eye on them, they have been there for a long time. Still no discount.

Feeding solid fuel by an auger is nothing new and I am sure patents if there ever were any have run out

Traeger had a 20 year monopoly on pellet grills until their core patent expired in 2006. Joe Traeger sold his company in 2007, which is when other companies starting making pellet grills.

But the category didn't start to take off until new management took over Traeger in 2014 and started to market the concept like crazy. Like most people, I'd never heard of Traeger or pellet grills until maybe 4-ish years ago.

Back