Pastrami - 1st time not steamed

Mark Foreman

TVWBB Wizard
Having a Pastrami Panini dinner Friday for a friends birthday. Serving it with (mayo based) cole slaw and homemade cherry pie. I have always done Pastrami by smoking to 160 then pulling it off followed by steaming to 203F. Because I have had some issues with soft bark so I decided to smoke it without steaming using the plan below.

Shenson brisket point corned beef 3 1/4 lbs.
Soaked 18 hours with water changes.
Rubbed with AmazingRibs “Katz” rub. Rest in fridge for 24 hours.
Plan is to cook on WSM 14, not the E6 using Kpro bricks and cheery/pecan wood.
Going to wrap at 160ish with butcher paper then cook to 190.

Any gotchas I should look out for?

I have seen it suggested to open the wrap when almost finished to check and possibly allow the bark to reset as it finished cooking.

I'd cook it up to 200, but I think your plan works. I just wonder how much salt that soak would pull out if it would be too much. But I'm thinking you've done it before so it should be right for you. When I did it, I cured the brisket flat myself using an dry cure that I know provides the salt I'm looking for. It may seem a little tighter than a standard brisket. I cooked and served mine like a brisket so you might be slicing thinner and the 190 might be a good finishing temp. I don't know. It sounds delicious.

I had a killer bark going with that same rub, I covered and poured some beer in the pan. Wow the bark turned to mush, huge turn off.
That being said the corned beef was killer.

I've made a couple of full packer pastrami in the past, more or less starting with a modified corned beef brine/cure, then a straight smoke, without steaming, to 200-205 or so. Both have been met with pretty much rave reviews.

Yeah, steaming might be the traditional finish, but I'm really not set up for it, and appearances tell me that I end with with a good product at the end.

Having a Pastrami Panini dinner Friday for a friends birthday. Serving it with (mayo based) cole slaw and homemade cherry pie. I have always done Pastrami by smoking to 160 then pulling it off followed by steaming to 203F. Because I have had some issues with soft bark so I decided to smoke it without steaming using the plan below.

Shenson brisket point corned beef 3 1/4 lbs.
Soaked 18 hours with water changes.
Rubbed with AmazingRibs “Katz” rub. Rest in fridge for 24 hours.
Plan is to cook on WSM 14, not the E6 using Kpro bricks and cheery/pecan wood.
Going to wrap at 160ish with butcher paper then cook to 190.

Any gotchas I should look out for?
from my last pastrami which i posted here, i'd make sure the ingredients rub is well ground, with very few large bits. the rub will form a firmer bark with smaller particulates of the rub. using a spice grinder, i'd go just before powder phase.

i like the lower temp pull as a pastrami, traditionally, isn't shredding apart like a corned beef does. and i prefer a firmer slice so 190 works for me. you could even go 195. at 200 or more, the meat will get that shredding texture, which pastrami usually isn't.

pastramis are smoked and then steamed to warm them up for service in restaurants. the steam is a hold temp tactic not a cooking tactic. after a pastrami is smoked it's usually cooled for storage and then steamed so it can be warmed for slicing and serving.

keep whatever fat you have on your corned beef. that fat adds a nice taste and texture to sliced pastrami.

i don't know how much the rubbed then fridged rested technique will do for the flavor. all the pastrami flavor is on the outside and since you're using a corned beef, i don't think you'll get much, if any, rub flavor penetration into the desalinated corned beef.

to get that deep dark bark, i'd probably go water pan in the cooker, smoke at 250, and never wrap. run till 190-195. you'll get a very good bark and the water pan will keep the meat moist (it's already loaded with water from soaking so basically, it's already injected).

buy really good rye bread and some NY deli style mustard - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9X4WUC/?tag=tvwb-20

and these pickles or TJs sell some sour pickles too: https://bubbies.com/products/kosher-dill-pickles

and a few of these. i'm partial to the Cel-Ray, but cream will do: https://www.specialtysodas.com/collections/dr-browns-sodas

May the force be with you. The force is strong for good pastrami.

1654809017695.jpeg

Here's a thread where I cooked one. I cured it myself. I actually foil wrapped it. If I used foil I wait until the bark is set and wrap tightly with no liquid. I usually find the bark is ok doing that, maybe not great. I left WAY too much fat cap on it and didn't render it that well. I didn't say a finishing temp in the thread but I cook briskets regularly to 200+ I don't think it will crumble on you cooked that high, but again it depends on how you plan to slice it. I don't remember the rub I used. I think it was a pretty standard unsalted pastrami rub.

from my last pastrami which i posted here, i'd make sure the ingredients rub is well ground, with very few large bits. the rub will form a firmer bark with smaller particulates of the rub. using a spice grinder, i'd go just before powder phase.

i like the lower temp pull as a pastrami, traditionally, isn't shredding apart like a corned beef does. and i prefer a firmer slice so 190 works for me. you could even go 195. at 200 or more, the meat will get that shredding texture, which pastrami usually isn't.

pastramis are smoked and then steamed to warm them up for service in restaurants. the steam is a hold temp tactic not a cooking tactic. after a pastrami is smoked it's usually cooled for storage and then steamed so it can be warmed for slicing and serving.

keep whatever fat you have on your corned beef. that fat adds a nice taste and texture to sliced pastrami.

i don't know how much the rubbed then fridged rested technique will do for the flavor. all the pastrami flavor is on the outside and since you're using a corned beef, i don't think you'll get much, if any, rub flavor penetration into the desalinated corned beef.

to get that deep dark bark, i'd probably go water pan in the cooker, smoke at 250, and never wrap. run till 190-195. you'll get a very good bark and the water pan will keep the meat moist (it's already loaded with water from soaking so basically, it's already injected).

buy really good rye bread and some NY deli style mustard - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9X4WUC/?tag=tvwb-20

and these pickles or TJs sell some sour pickles too: https://bubbies.com/products/kosher-dill-pickles

and a few of these. i'm partial to the Cel-Ray, but cream will do: https://www.specialtysodas.com/collections/dr-browns-sodas

May the force be with you. The force is strong for good pastrami.

View attachment 52641
Wow, that’s some sandwich! I’ve been to a place named Harold’s, that’s how they serve them. They’re actually meant to be shared, they come with additional sliced bread but it’s always fun to see it come to the table!

That’s funny, small world! I worked for PSE&G in Trenton but whenever we got sent to North Jersey for storm work we’d always try to hit Harold’s.

That’s funny, small world! I worked for PSE&G in Trenton but whenever we got sent to North Jersey for storm work we’d always try to hit Harold’s.
It’s on our list when we do a NY NJ run. Those aren’t too common these days but occasionally we get back east for some good grub.

It’s been 9 months or so since I got the E6. Went into the garage and notice my WSM sitting sad by itself. i decided to do a cook on my 14. That’s where the pastrami thing started. So here is how it went. Pastrami was amazing. Very tender. After slicing, I steamed the pastrami to get it warm. Sandwiches were made with rye, Swiss, brown mustard (Beaver brand from Oregon!!!), pickles, lettuce except for me. I had a pastrami and swill Panini with 1000 island dressing. Cole slaw on the side with Cherry pie for desert. Sorry there are no plate pics, I just wasn’t fast enough.

The rubbed brisket
1654984937743.jpeg

The setup
1654984906336.jpeg

goal temp 235f (held it for 10 hours)
Kpro charcoal - one large chimney. Lighter cube only
water pan - about 1/3 full of hot water
1654985148777.jpeg

igrill 3 was used
1654985203261.jpeg

Butcher paper wrapped at 165. Back on the pit to 195.
Finished product
1654985304913.jpeg

Time to slice and eat.
1654985406551.jpeg

I had forgotten how cool and easy it was to use a WSM. I got a reminder of how well they cook. So it’s going to get used a lot more going forward. The 22 WSM is still in the garage and I’m not 100% sure what I will do with it as we no Long do “big” cooks.

Back