Overnight Pork Butts

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So my son is having a house warming party tomorrow afternoon and he wants me to do the butts -- he'll do the ribs on his UDS. He knows I like the long cooks and Thin Blue Smoke (TBS). There's a 9.5 lber and a 8 lber so I figured an overnighter is in order for a target time of ~14 hrs. It's suppose to be in the low 30's tonight and some say a slight rain or flurries so I prepped for cold/wet wx opns.

To pull it off, I rubbed them with spicey brown and sprinkled them with Bad Byron's Butt Rub. I started a FULL chimney of Stubb's and when flames were shooting out of the top of the chimney I poured it onto a FULL ring of unlit Stubb's. After the smoke cleared and I had a clean fire burning, I added the mid section and lid. After a cpl minutes I took a temp reading: 245*. Then I added the two butts and a cpl minutes later another temp reading: 219*. LOL Then I added my hickory for flavor.

So it should be ready to foil and transport to his new home late morning.

IMG_1358_zps9e4c99a7.jpg

IMG_1360_zps8a5e1baf.jpg

IMG_1361_zps546da3f9.jpg

IMG_1362_zpscf48e611.jpg

IMG_1366_zpsd905b32b.jpg

Looking great, hope to see the results. Did you use water in the pan?

I normally do use water but with all the mass from the pork butts along with the cold wx I figured I'll just go with the foil covered clay saucer tonight to see how it goes. I am hoping to use less fuel per hour this way to extend the cook because I will have the vents closed down to keep the heat low and slow and won't be using the energy to heat water. We'll see how it goes.

I like long cooks also..gives me an excuse to say I can't do that now I'm monitoring the temp on the cooker..

holeymoley Dwain,.... this brings back memories of a Thanksgiving eve overnight cook i did several years ago...
rain turn to snow and back to rain to snow again.... little sleep did i get... drank beer at 1am and again at 4am...
wasn't sure what to make of it all...
butt the butt came out perfectly and pulled near 10am to the delight of 30 some folks for Thanksgiving dinner.
done overnight cooks butt that one was almost a disaster, with all the crummy weather.

come to think of it, ALL the overnight cooks i've done were in crummy weather:rolleyes:

May the Moon Shine and the Rains stay away with a Warm breeze if any be with your cook!
Looking forward,with others, to your final photos!

I like long cooks also..gives me an excuse to say I can't do that now I'm monitoring the temp on the cooker..

hee hee hee --- a buddy of mine and I like to say "I gotta make sure that needle doesn't move."

After sleeping all night, I woke up this AM to a clear 30* day, the beautiful aroma of pork that appears to be in a stall, and a WSM chugging away at 235*. (You gotta love this thing.) I checked my fire, moved the coals around, and made a pot of coffee. This is too easy.

Last edited:
hee hee hee --- a buddy of mine and I like to say "I gotta make sure that needle doesn't move."

After sleeping all night, I woke up this AM to a clear 30* day, the beautiful aroma of pork that appears to be in a stall, and a WSM chugging away at 235*. (You gotta love this thing.) I checked my fire, moved the coals around, and made a pot of coffee. This is too easy.

How did you set your bottom vents before going to bed? Also, do you think the Stubbs is better on a longer cook than Kingsford blue? Looking forward to pics of the finished product.

I closed all three bottom vents to about 1/3 to 1/2 to ensure I was going to maintain the low and slow I was looking for. I was happy with it settling in at 260*. Interestingly, when I stired the coals this morning it went from 235* back to 261* by the time I walked into the house and started a pot of coffee. The cooker is at 258* now (11.5 hrs).

I prefer Stubb's on overnight cooks but I usually use lump. Lump is great for a day cook but it would have burned out in the middle of the night and I refuse to get up to stoke the fire. I'm either stubborn or lazy or a combo of the two so I travel the extra 7 miles to Lowe's for Stubb's when I do an overnighter. Controversially, I don't use K blue because I don't want the fillers they put in it. (I know , I know -- they won't hurt you) So...to tell you the truth I don't know if K blue lasts longer or not.

I know...lookin ain't cookin, but I HAD to peek:

IMG_1367_zps147150c9.jpg

Last edited:
So it should be ready to foil and transport to his new home late morning.

Dwain, the butts look awesome! But I hav to say, that is one seriously heavy duty Maverick holder you've got there!!

Dwain, looks like you've got a great cook goin' there, and so congrats on your first overnight cook with a no water. I'm interested to here what you think about the difference with the bark, if any, in the final product. And I like lump as well, but as you've found, none of what I can find in the stores around here will last as long as briquettes. Wish I knew of someone close that would go in with me to split a whole skid of Wicked Good. THAT stuff will last longer than Stubbs OR K briqs, and you don't have to stir the coals, either. On the other hand though, if you'd used WG with no water, it's likely that the butts would've gotten done earlier than ideal.

Later,
Dave

Back