Overnight Pork Butts

... first overnight cook with a no water. I'm interested to here what you think about the difference with the bark, if any, in the final product.

Not the first overnighter, but the first overnighter with no water for sure. I already like the bark better. The butts are done now, and as I probed in various areas to ensure they at temp all over, I heard a definite "crutch" sound as the probe pushed thru the crust. The last butt I did was with a full pan of water and even though I am not going for comp BBQ here, quite frankly had I been judging it I would have considered it mushy and deducted points.

The butts are complete at about 1.2 hrs per lb and an internal of 200*. So, I closed the vents, placed the butts in a dispoable pan and covered it with foil. I place a sheet of foil on the grate so I don't get the underside of the pan funky and placed the whole shootin match right back on the cooker to use the residual heat to hold them above 140*. I'll pull them at the party in an effort to retain the heat.

A VERY stress free, enjoyable cook. Thanks for being a part of it.

IMG_1369_zps5a87e93d.jpg

IMG_1368_zps9f8a7c7e.jpg

Last edited:
I closed all three bottom vents to about 1/3 to 1/2 to ensure I was going to maintain the low and slow I was looking for. I was happy with it settling in at 260*. Interestingly, when I stired the coals this morning it went from 235* back to 261* by the time I walked into the house and started a pot of coffee. The cooker is at 258* now (11.5 hrs).

I prefer Stubb's on overnight cooks but I usually use lump. Lump is great for a day cook but it would have burned out in the middle of the night and I refuse to get up to stoke the fire. I'm either stubborn or lazy or a combo of the two so I travel the extra 7 miles to Lowe's for Stubb's when I do an overnighter. Controversially, I don't use K blue because I don't want the fillers they put in it. (I know , I know -- they won't hurt you) So...to tell you the truth I don't know if K blue lasts longer or not.

I know...lookin ain't cookin, but I HAD to peek:

My answer to the looking ain't cooking, is a cheat, mag flashlight and the top vent damper.

Dwain, the bark looks perfect! To tell you the truth, the only thing I've cooked in my big bullet so far with water has been ribs, and I don't do that anymore if it's back ribs, since I prefer to foil them.

Anyhow, I really value your cook report, especially since I have a couple of butts about the same size and a rather thick 15 lb packer in the fridge. I'm not going to foil if I can get away with it, but instead, wrap in butcher paper, which is little or no help at all in speeding up the cook. Going to cook for supper, but I'd like to cook faster than usual and not get up at 3am. So could you verify what you'd estimate as your times/temps were? 10.5lbs X 1.2 hr/lb for about a 12.5hr cook?

Last edited:
...So could you verify what you'd estimate as your times/temps were? 10.5lbs X 1.2 hr/lb for about a 12.5hr cook?

I read an article that Chris wrote saying two butts wouldn't take much longer but would use more fuel. So...I estimated the larger one was ~9.5 lbs. so I planned 1.5 hrs/lb but the actual cook time was right at 11.5 hours for 1.2 hr/lb. I'm not sure about average cooker temps but it stayed ~260* for the approx. three hours I was awake. I have no idea if it spiked in there or steadily decreased to the 235* I woke up to or how long the stall was. Not much help I know.

Edit: I made some Carolina Red, and took some Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's, and Sweet Island Pepper.

Final product:

de34dce5-37e4-43ff-98a5-0dee0c284ea6_zps553d981c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Dwain. Temp spikes or not, as long as the butts cook evenly and the bark is to your liking, it's all good.

I've yet to use water in my big bullet's pan except for ribs, and if I plan on foiling ribs...backribs, for instance, I don't use water for that anymore. I just get better bark cooking dry. Just wish I could find foil wide enough...

Glad your cook went smooth!
Dave

Dwain you provided all the right information and pics but failed to leave out one thing......

Time and directions to the party.

Just kidding, awesome looking finish.

Back