Overcooked Baby Back Ribs

Ryan H

TVWBB Member
I tried my hand at ribs last night; first time ever. I'm cooking on a Weber Genesis creation of my own. I used Meatheads Memphis Dust for a rub and started out with a hunk of maple at 230 for 2 hours and my bark hadn't set, so i turned it up to 260 for another hour (at one point my wood caught fire and shot the temp over 300 which may have been what killed my cook). After the third hour my bark had set and i tried the bounce method (which doesn't work with the trimmed racks i now know) and the toothpick (which went in easily). I sauced my ribs with no 5 sauce and let that glaze over.

I know they were overcooked, but I did get my wife's approval, and she "has never liked any one else's ribs other than her dad's." He is a BBQ master, so I have some rather large shoes to fill!

This was a highly unconventional cook, and not at all by the books, but I had fun, and if someone can learn from my errors, all the better!

787C3E12-8AF2-444E-8390-73DB5B2E1489_zpsytltu1fk.jpg~original
[/URL]

Ryan;
Those are VERY tasty lookin' ribs, my friend! Personally, I prefer ribs to be a bit more tender than "competition" ribs and everyone that eats here does, also. I don't want them "mushy" but I do REALLY like tender (and tasty, of course;))!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I feel your pain. Cooked some BBs on the 18.5WSM yesterday had terrible winds again and the WSM was having 50* swings on the temperature through the whole cook. Had no idea where I was as far as doneness. Came out kinda okay but not what I wanted.

Look like spares to me but regardless, they do look tasty! Remember, practise makes perfect. Think I'll smoke me some today. Freshco has some backs for $2.88/lb this week. MMMMM!

bark hadn't set
tried the bounce method
these are new phrases to me.... i don't know what it means to have bark set... and i haven't heard of the bounce method.

baby backs usually take 4 to 5 hours from start to finish at 225ºF ... however, time is only a measure.
in my opinion, baby backs tend to be very dry when overcooked.

...sometimes the meat is to blame...

these are new phrases to me.... i don't know what it means to have bark set... and i haven't heard of the bounce method.

baby backs usually take 4 to 5 hours from start to finish at 225ºF ... however, time is only a measure.
in my opinion, baby backs tend to be very dry when overcooked.

...sometimes the meat is to blame...

Hey Jim! My terminology may be heavily skewed, I'm trying to learn sooo much all at once! For me 'bark set' = when the sugars have dissolved and can't be wiped off anymore, and 'bounce method' = when you bounce a rack of ribs with your tongs to see if the bark cracks.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement! I learn so much from all your great posts!

Look like spares to me but regardless, they do look tasty! Remember, practise makes perfect. Think I'll smoke me some today. Freshco has some backs for $2.88/lb this week. MMMMM!

Len, where are you getting $2.88!!?? That's an awesome deal! As for the ones I cooked, they were a custom trim job from the local butcher giving them a more uniform size and thickness. I thought i would be a good place to start :)

Len, where are you getting $2.88!!?? That's an awesome deal! As for the ones I cooked, they were a custom trim job from the local butcher giving them a more uniform size and thickness. I thought i would be a good place to start :)

Couple Freshco stores in Kitchener

https://www.google.ca/search?q=fres...ile&ie=UTF-8#q=freshco+locations+in+kitchener

I say those look like spares as they are flat bones (looks like a "st louis" cut). Backs have somewhat rounded bones.

Back