Over cooked ribs question

Zac_Callier

TVWBB Fan
Hello all,

Sorry I don't have any pics for this, but the past few times I've cooked ribs (and even brisket), it has come out far darker on the bark and a bit drier in the meat than I've done in the past. My rubs consist of turbinado sugar, salt, and other seasonings, but nothing that I would think should really burn at smoking temps. Been running my smoker between 250-275 for the past several smokes, and for a slab of baby backs, sometimes I'm getting very dark bark in a matter of a couple hrs (haven't been basting either). Going to smoke some bb's tomorrow, and I'm gonna cut down on the heat and try mopping again perhaps my smoker is running hotter than my dome is showing, although I've tested before and gotten similar temp readings between the lid and the grate. Also, I don't use water in the water pan, just cover w/foil, and until recently most Q had come out pretty excellent (not that the last few have been awful, but I know I can do better and it's annoying the hell out of me).

Anyone else experience anything like this? I thought perhaps it was the turbinado, but I believe it has a very high burn point so that shouldn't be an issue. Anyways, appreciate any feedback and will try to post some photos of Saturday's cook.

Thanks and hope everyone has an excellent St Pattys Day this weekend. It'll be my last as someone w/no responsibility (wife just found out we're having our 1st child in October...the plunge begins!) so hoping to enjoy it to the max

Last edited:
I prefer water in the pan for spares, but a dry pan and the amazing bbq tool called "foil" for pork loinbacks.

Start checking at the two hr mark, and wrap in foil with some apple or pineapple juice when the ribs look good. Cook another hour or so and unwrap to glaze once the ribs are tender. Problem solved....as long as you don't overcook.

Last edited:
I cook my loin back ribs at a lower temperature. I run at 225 degrees with my ribs in a rack (I cut all rib racks in half). After three hours, I flip my ribs (upside down and change position to even out the heat). After another hour, I foil in a throw-a-way pan until tender to my preference. I don't even look at the ribs until the 3rd hour when I flip.

I have been using the recipe from BRITU (Best Ribs in the Universe) and get great reviews.

By the way, I fill the water pan when I do ribs.

FWIW
Dale53

BRITU on a mustard base, 225-250, water: in at 10 out at 2:30, sit in a covered roasting pan (let's some steam out) for 2-3 hr depending on when we eat).

Have always turned out right. BB or spares, I do this now, almost think I can do this blind folded now.

Your temps seem higher than you think they are (as has been suggested). Never been over 4 1/2 hr cook time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys, ribs are on as we speak, going to cook a bit lower temp than usual and gonna try foiling for the first time as well. I'll post some pics when everything is done, thanks again

Zac, congrats on the baby!

So how did the ribs come out?

I know its been said on here a hundred times but I wanted to add a note about the thermometer in the lid. On my 18.5, that thing is all over the place. During any given cook, it can read lower than my grate thermo, then higher, etc, so even though you have tested it your temp may indeed be off from what you are trying to cook at. I find it difficult to use.

Ribs came out great tender juicy #5 sauce w/a tiny tweak thanks for the help again. Also had homemade corned beef and cabbage yesterday for st patty's so it's been quite the filling weekend

photo by zcallier, on Flickr

photo(1) by zcallier, on Flickr

And this followed the next morning, which indicates life is very tough down here in Florida

photo(2) by zcallier, on Flickr

Last edited:
Dave: thank you very much, I had leftovers yesterday and they were still delicious def going to foil from now on. I'd tried it previously, didn't realize how much it helped until now.

Bob: Yep, that pic was just off of Flagler Ave down from Breakers quite the eye you have!

Back