Opening up orifice size on NG Genesis II

Tom Li

Hi all
Long time lurker, first time posting.
I found a good deal for a used E410. From what I looked it is great for low-mid temp cooking but doesnt seem to have the power to do high temp sear on a thin piece of steak (eg. flank)

Has anyone tried opening up the orifice to get more heat from the genesis ii? I am thinking to do two of the burners so I can have a high temp zone and keep the other two original so i can still go low for smoking.

I have done similar modification to my bluestar range but in that mod, i actually added holes to the burner https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5...r-diy-project-looking-for-advice-before-doing.
I am just wondering what btu can the weber burner actually support without mod?

From the chart I checked, the weber should have a #53 orifice size to give it 12k BTU @ 5" WC. I am thinking to open it to a #51 so it will give 15.5k BTU. And of course I will need to adjust the air intake to support that temperature.

What do you guys think? Any input is appreciated!

Cheers
Tom

Last edited:
oh and anyone that owns the Genesis II E-410 before the change (ie. old lid handle, enamel flavorizer bar), can you please confirm if the hose is 1/2" or 3/8"? I have been getting mixed answer from different sources.

What is the overall temp getting up to in the grill. It should be able to get up to about 550-600. If not, maybe there is a problem that needs fixing before you start modding the grill. Are the burners clean?

I don't think anyone is going to give you the green light for drilling out the orifice to gain btus. That's probably going to be a "Do at Your Own Risk" deal.

Welcome to the forum!
Gerry

What is the overall temp getting up to in the grill. It should be able to get up to about 550-600. If not, maybe there is a problem that needs fixing before you start modding the grill. Are the burners clean?
I have not got it yet (picking it up Tuesday) but i am looking to get a grate temp of minimum 700 uncovered for searing thin cuts, which I dont think any stock one can reach. I am fully aware that there are other grills out there that can do it without mod, but those either cannot get down low enough (my current broil king) or too expensive for my budget.

I don't think anyone is going to give you the green light for drilling out the orifice to gain btus. That's probably going to be a "Do at Your Own Risk" deal.

Welcome to the forum!
Gerry
Thank you Gerry. I am fully aware that no one will "green light" me and it is totally on my own risk. I am just looking if someone has experience doing that and if I have a flaw in my calculation, so I can make the proper adjustment. (eg. max btu that have been tried on the weber GS4 burner, max btu that the air shutter can support, etc)

You mention 5"WC. On NG standard household pressure is 7"WC and LP is 11"WC so right off the bat you're in the weeds. So maybe you should decide first what fuel you're using.....................that would be a huge start

Last edited by a moderator:
You mention 5"WC. On NG standard household pressure is 7"WC and LP is 11"WC so right off the bat you're in the weeds. So maybe you should decide first what fuel you're using.....................that would be a huge start
Yes household pressure is 7" WC but after the regulator on the BBQ I thought the NG pressure is reduced to 5" WC? (at least that is what my bluestar regulator drops the pressure to)

I've never heard of anyone doing this. I'd fear a meltdown of some component(s). Even on Summit, none of it's burners are 15.5K BTUs.
Thanks for your reply. This is the reason I am asking here first and see if anyone has experience and make sure I have considered everything. The thing that is taking the most heat would be the flavourizer bar. If I use a thicker aftermarket stainless piece above the burner, I think it should hold? Cause there are other brands of BBQ having a 15k burner and hasnt melt the grill down LOL

I don't believe the new Genesis grills came with regulators. Summits did/do but I have never seen a Genesis with one.

I don't know alot about gassers, and will defer to the more knowledgeable members, but have seen a few threads where the cook box looked like someone used an acetylene torch on it, and it blew out some holes.

Tim

Yeah and I would be especially leery of the newer grills with their thinner lighter construction. I don't think they could take the temps of doing that and then add to that if you happen to get a grease flare. I could see molten aluminum all over the wooden deck. A few years ago some neighbors who were not good about cleaning their Genesis 1000 had it go into full melt down on the wood deck. The molten metal dripped on the deck and the whole deck became an inferno

Aluminum melts at a bit over 1200 degrees, so it could certainly happen under the right conditions.

I don't believe the new Genesis grills came with regulators. Summits did/do but I have never seen a Genesis with one.

Oh really!?? that is interesting. I will definitely need to take a look at it when i get it.
That would be surprising as different area/house has slightly different gas pressure.... How do they maintain the same output everywhere?

I don't know alot about gassers, and will defer to the more knowledgeable members, but have seen a few threads where the cook box looked like someone used an acetylene torch on it, and it blew out some holes.

Tim
Really? do you have a link? I would definitely need to take a look at the threads and see what happened there. Im surprised to have a hole burn through a cookbox!

Yeah and I would be especially leery of the newer grills with their thinner lighter construction. I don't think they could take the temps of doing that and then add to that if you happen to get a grease flare. I could see molten aluminum all over the wooden deck. A few years ago some neighbors who were not good about cleaning their Genesis 1000 had it go into full melt down on the wood deck. The molten metal dripped on the deck and the whole deck became an inferno

OK i will definitely have to keep that in mind, as we are dealing with cast aluminum not cast iron as my stove top is. Thanks for that piece of information for sure!

Aluminum melts at a bit over 1200 degrees, so it could certainly happen under the right conditions.

Yea i definitely have to keep that in mind... may be i should line the cookbox wall with high temp tiles........:unsure:

Here's one...don't know how it happened, but one of the members got a grill with the burner tube burned out at the end. When that happens, you have a blowtorch heating up the side of the cookbox.

1597537580052.png

Here's one...don't know how it happened, but one of the members got a grill with the burner tube burned out at the end. When that happens, you have a blowtorch blasting away at the side of the cookbox.

View attachment 11946

oh ****
that looks like the weld at the end of the tube rusted apart and like u said, turned into a blow torch to teh side of the cookbox.
Definitely open up the internal to clean and inspect regularly is key to the grill

Did a search on "melted cookbox"

Also, there was a picture recently of a split burner, like it had split along the seam...but from what I can see, these burners are seamless...but you never know what you're going to get with aftermarket off-shore manufactured parts.

I find that on a lot of the grills I pick up for rehabbing. It was like that on the Genesis Platinum that I just tore into today. I don't think they even weld that seem, It is just stamped and crimped. A lot of members have seen the bulge on the side of cook boxes. My guess is that the trashed end of a burner is the culprit most of the time.

I was going to say, also, a little off-topic, but in the early '70s one of the guys I grew up with bought a T-bucket roadster with a 427 tri-power in it. It only had rear brakes, no fenders, but street-legal at the time because of the weight. I never rode in it, but there's a reason they don't put that much horsepower in a car that weighs less than 2000lbs.

EDIT: Oh, I gotta laugh...one of the toolmakers at my last job had one of those crazy motorcycles with a 350 Chevy in it. I laugh whenever I think about it.

Yes household pressure is 7" WC but after the regulator on the BBQ I thought the NG pressure is reduced to 5" WC? (at least that is what my bluestar regulator drops the pressure to)
Weber NG grill owners manuals specify the NG pressure. From page 9 of the Genesis II E-210 • E/S-310 • SE-310 • E-410 • SE-410 • E-610 manual:

General Specifications
  • Two burner and three burner grills are designed to operate at 7" of water column pressure (.2526 psi).
  • Four burner and six burner grills are designed to operate at 4" of water column pressure (.1444 psi).
I assume that since most homes are expected to have 7"WC, there must be a built-in regulator to step down the pressure in 4- and 6-burner grills.

Back