One or two cubes

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I love using Weber Starter Cubes. I always make sure I have them on hand and they just make starting the Weber Chimney full of charcoal an easy process. I have always justed used one cube to lit the standard Weber Chimney. Then on this past Wednesday during a night cook I used two cubes and I felt like it cut the time it took to get the coal ready a good bit and I felt like the coals were hotter overall.
I always thought I could get away with one cube and using two was not necessary and "wasting" that extra cube and all I would really be doing would be going through my supply twice as fast.
However, that first text has me wondering. So when you are firing up a full Weber Chimney of Charcoal do you use one or two Weber Starter Cubes? Does using two cut down on the lighting time, does it help get the coals hotter? Why do you use one over two or two over one?
Thanks guys,

Depends on your choice of fuel, For me one cube get's it done on any charcoal that I use, but some take longer, harder to start.

For the big Weber chimney, when full, I'll use two cubes. However, I don't do that anymore because by the time the top coals are lit, the bottom coals are mostly used up. When I need a full chimney, I light off two chimneys that are half full, each with a single cube.

I picked up a couple of the small Weber chimneys earlier this summer and haven't used the big ones since. But then it is 2020 and we haven't had more than 2-4 people over for a cookout. The small chimneys light off really fast. I'm not sure of the relative size of the small as compared to the large.

For the big Weber chimney, when full, I'll use two cubes. However, I don't do that anymore because by the time the top coals are lit, the bottom coals are mostly used up. When I need a full chimney, I light off two chimneys that are half full, each with a single cube.
I generally fill my large Weber Chimney with a 1/4 full of previously used Charcoal and then put the new stuff on-top.

I have the standard Weber Chimney and a Kingsford Chimney that is a touch smaller I will have to start playing around with the number of cubes and chimneys.

I love using Weber Starter Cubes. I always make sure I have them on hand and they just make starting the Weber Chimney full of charcoal an easy process. I have always justed used one cube to lit the standard Weber Chimney. Then on this past Wednesday during a night cook I used two cubes and I felt like it cut the time it took to get the coal ready a good bit and I felt like the coals were hotter overall.
I always thought I could get away with one cube and using two was not necessary and "wasting" that extra cube and all I would really be doing would be going through my supply twice as fast.
However, that first text has me wondering. So when you are firing up a full Weber Chimney of Charcoal do you use one or two Weber Starter Cubes? Does using two cut down on the lighting time, does it help get the coals hotter? Why do you use one over two or two over one?
Thanks guys,
I used one for many years and switched to 2, I do believe it speeds things up big time. I also found them on clearance at Target for $2.47 so I have A LOT!!

I don't use 2 cubes per chimney but when I need as much fuel as possible I, too, am in the camp of filling two chimneys half full.

I use two with the large weber chimney. One with the small weber. When camping I use them and fat wood to start a camp fire.

One cube for the compact Weber chimney.

The compact holds 45 KBB briquettes max. So that's the much better tool for the WSM than using the large chimney turned upside down.

One cube for the compact Weber chimney.

The compact holds 45 KBB briquettes max. So that's the much better tool for the WSM than using the large chimney turned upside down.
Jim,
With me running a WSM 14, my minion method is like 8 RO briquettes or 4 Weber Briquettes, I love that little smoker. For that process I always only use one cube. I was more asking about when I lit a full chimney to use on my Master Touch. I think tomorrow I will use two cubes again.

I've gotten by using one cube ........... but I made a mistake taking the cubes out of the original packaging and putting them in zip lock bag. All it takes is one time not getting the bag sealed, and the cubes lose their juice. I might have to start using three cubes.

But I think I'm gonna go to these next purchase, from Tractor Supply , which the $13 for 144 price is almost half of Amazon, WalMart, or Home Depot.

I really miss not subscribing to the print edition of a newspaper. Starting fires was the most value I could get from one.

Last edited:
I've gotten by using one cube ........... but I made a mistake taking the cubes out of the original packaging and putting them in zip lock bag. All it takes is one time not getting the bag sealed, and the cubes lose their juice. I might have to start using three cubes.

But I think I'm gonna go to these next purchase, from Tractor Supply , which the $13 for 144 price is almost half of Amazon, WalMart, or Home Depot.

I really miss not subscribing to the print edition of a newspaper. Starting fires was the most value I could get from one.

I use to use these to start the wood stove at our old house, they worked well for that purpose, never thought about using them for charcoal.

I generally fill my large Weber Chimney with a 1/4 full of previously used Charcoal and then put the new stuff on-top.

This ^^^^^

It takes one cube to get that going as long as the chimney has a good wind break.

Lump coal is a different story... It takes a flame thrower to get that going.

I like to use two. Weirdly I haven't been able to find them lately and I've been using 1 royal oak tumbleweed which also works pretty well.

Really? All the lump I ever used was pretty easy to lite, a lot faster than briqs .
That is my understanding too as when additional charcoal is needed during a particular cook I always add some lump charcoal instead of Briquets(takes longer to light) based upon some readings either on this Forum or the Webber Kettle Club or somewhere else. Probably is the "Somewhere Else";)

Last edited:
Really? All the lump I ever used was pretty easy to lite, a lot faster than briqs .

That's been my limited experience with lump. I just finished a bag of FoGo and it took far longer to get going in the chimney than KBB. Once it caught, it got rip roaring hot and then the fun was quickly over. It takes two weber cubes or two Royal Oak Tumbleweeds to get a chimney of lump going.

Back