One more before the snow hits tonight!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Decided to cook the chicken I’d forgotten about from last weeks foray to the store. Stuffed with a head of garlic cut in half and a lemon, painted with bacon fat from breakfast and dusted with my version of Emerils “bayou blast”, indirect, apple for smoke and a little over an hour and a half as the temperature fell and snow began.C06706C8-149D-4294-A743-F42C82F42138.jpeg

Very nice! Perfect for a snowy day. And you've got some good soup making for the next few cold days.

I made some stock and reduced it from five quarts to about one using the last one of these and will do the same when I pick the carcass fully. Thinking about some “King ranch chicken casserole” for next Saturday’s family dinner. That will use most of the meat but, I froze what was left from the last one too so, that should be enough for a nice batch of soup.
Steve, I cut the head of garlic through its equator as I did the lemon then stuffed it. I might quarter the lemon for more ease of stuffing.

I loved your technique and will have to give it a try the next time I smoke a chicken
It’s really the original Weber “how to roast a whole chicken” from the old book that came in the 1970(?) box.
The lemon and garlic were just sitting there. So, I went with the “Use what’s in front of you” methodology.
Expecting some nasty weather this week but, if it’s the least bit within reason, I have a real Jones for some Vortex cookery! I’m thinking wings and maybe some thighs? But, if it’s too lousy, the earlier mentioned oven work will have so suffice but, I’m planning on being prepared! Need to pick up some wings!

If you guys in the mitten are gonna get the s&*t we're in for hang on to your hats. The recent snow dumped about 11" here. Now they're indicating one of the polar vortex outbreaks that is promising to stay awhile. I just REALLY hate winter.

Larry, you and I have lived through much nastier winters than this! We are just getting less “tolerant” of the miserable digging out!
I’ve come to enjoy using my snowblower, I do my driveway and two neighbors sidewalks but, the trouble is the cold and snow seems to take a bigger toll on my grilling time than it used to. Heck, I used to grill in sub zero snow storms but, now? I just don’t want to get that darned cold.
The last “big blast” we were supposed to get turned into 3” of light easily blown snow. This one is being touted as a bigger mess but, I’m fine up to about 6-8”.
The look of sun today is making me do all my running before noon when other people will go out and get stupid at stores. The whole “sky is falling” syndrome. All the TP will be gone...oh, wait wrong disaster!😂

You're right. I am much less tolerant of it than when I was a kid. But as a kid all I had to do was play in it or take dad's snowblower and make a few bucks doing neighborhood walks and such. I am sick of what it does to my property, my cars, my well being (thanks to a bad eardrum lost all ability to walk on icy areas). I'm just plain "tired" to the bone of it.

Well, the weather guessers were right on today’s white stuff arrival! They said “about four PM” by four fifteen, the roads were slicker than deer guts on a door knob! Had to take an aged relative to pick up her dog from the vet so, what should be a twenty minute one way, was forty five! People driving too fast for conditions, I’m expecting to hear lots of sirens tonight. I was considering setting up the Vortex for some wings tonight...yeah, NO! The Bolognese sauce I made up this afternoon will be dinner. Tomorrow, I’m making chili for “snowed in” dinners for a few days. King Ranch chicken with gougere and broccoli slaw for family dinner on Saturday. Maybe meatball subs for tomorrow?
Saturday looks like an interesting commingling of TexMex and French cuisines but, hey what the heck!

We only got 2-3" a little further north, looks like most of this went to the south of us. At least this fluff was cold enough to move easily, but the wind made the job a little unpleasant. My g/f had an uncomfortable drive to her office today (she had to be on-site,) no more than 45 mph on what's usually a 70+ mph drive (4 lane divided boulevard.) Oddly enough, she didn't see anyone in the ditch.

Started with freezing rain just before 8 yesterday AM. Than turned to snow by lunch (heavy wet and slick like grease). Continued all day until well into night but coupled with very high winds and temps dropping like getting pushed out of a plane. Currently 9 and dropping. But at least it's still very high winds and sunny :D

I'm with Larry I hate winter. Mostly because of my meds I can't stay warm no matter what I wear outside and once chilled it takes hours for me to warm up again. Along with the covid and winter weather I only leave the house for doctors appointments.
Some good news though, all the snow from last week is gone and the 10 day forecast is for high 50s low 60s no rain or snow and mild winds. Might be able to get some grilling in without freezing, that would be great.

I just blew the driveway ~ 5” light mostly fluffy snow, it went pretty quickly! Wowzers, it was cold though! Wind was raw! I was very happy to get back in to a cup of coffee! When I go out later, I think I will set up the Vortex for some wings tonight! They just sound good!

I just blew the driveway ~ 5” light mostly fluffy snow, it went pretty quickly! Wowzers, it was cold though! Wind was raw! I was very happy to get back in to a cup of coffee! When I go out later, I think I will set up the Vortex for some wings tonight! They just sound good!
If the cold we are getting now hits you before you try to light that grill I think it will be too cold for combustion to take place :D

Back