On the Vortex train... And I'm a believer!

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
After more great advice from you guys, seeing so many great cooks and the praise for the device, I got myself a vortex and it arrived on Monday. I used it Monday night for 3 lbs party wings and legs with B&B Briquettes, and I was underwhelmed. I didn't quite get it hype around the vortex after that first attempt, but I was not going to say anything here until at least a few more tries. So tonight I had some more legs and a few quarters marinating in my favorite Peruvian chicken recipe and decided to try the vortex again. The only difference was I uses Weber Charcoal Briquettes instead of B&B Briquettes.
Holy Crap was that an amazing cook. The temps jumped to over 550 and never got below 500 the whole cook. From the time I put the chicken on until I took it off you could hear a sizzle. The skin got golden then prefect brown, crispy as all get out, and the inside at almost 200 degrees was still so juicy and super tender.
I was so impressed with the vortex and man do I love Weber Charcoal Briquettes! I made some Cajun Dirty Rice, and CI Skillet veggies to go with. I tried to put the skillet on the grill, but I didn't want to mess up the chicken cooking so they went with the rice on the stove.
Here is the chicken waiting to go on. IMG_20200819_205214.jpg
Here we are at 20 mins and the first flip. IMG_20200819_205057.jpg
Here is the temps before that first flip. IMG_20200819_205109.jpg
And here they are a few minutes before I pulled them. IMG_20200819_205231.jpg
And they are off the grill. IMG_20200819_233706.jpg
Here is a plate.
IMG_20200819_205037.jpg
Next time I will put the center grate back in and get a char on them, but man was that a cool cook. I get the hype around the vortex. I can't wait to use it again!

It takes a project or two to get the feel for it. I use the leftover coal from the baskets and drop a full charge of fresh chimney fired coal in on top, it gets frighteningly hot!
I need to fire some wings off this week!

At least you went back for a second try and viola success. We use our vortex a lot (when we are allowed to use charcoal). Makes so super good chicken for sure.

Looks great! Care to share that Peruvian chicken recipe?
Jim,
Always willing to share a recipe!!!
This is for a 4 to 5 lb. whole chicken.
  • 6 garlic cloves- finely minced
  • 1/4 cup EVOO
  • Juice of two lime or 1/4 cup bottled lime juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon Chipotle Pepper Powder
  • 2 teaspoon coriander
  • 2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce

Mix it all together and pour/rub it on chicken both on and under the skin. Let it marinate for as long as you can, the goal is over night to 24 hours. Take it out and pour all that marinate over the chicken then a little spray of EVOO cooking spray and unto the pit. I have done this in the WSM and the Kettle with two zone cooking, and last night in the vortex.

I learned a lot during yesterdays cook. First this cook was really about trying to figure out the vortex. That was a success. The chicken was crispy, juicy, and tender. However, I also learned a lot about the above Peruvian Chicken recipe.

Here is what I learned yesterday first make too much not too little marinate. I was running low on a few ingredients so I halved this recipe for the chicken pieces I had and it was bland. Next I only had it marinating for 8 hours in the marinate and it did not get in the meat the same way with a longer marinated time. Last, I strongly believe that this is a recipe that needs that char over the hot coal to give in the flavor it is suppose to have. I never thought about it until eating last night's chicken that everything I have had this or made this I get it to truly char over the fire. I think these below pictures are a much better example of what this recipe should look like through the process, just maybe not so bet up.
UuBkoJN2GnWOpEuM_TrDQq7ie7WYgGbmkaJTXM7P1M-a9Y-gNvmPWmi3UPL6Pv_AyJBWhap8-2GwKw4hKFa73nRPJHt5YIh3XyGQ_CcBKT5vzo7Yd6PFAP-xZRTgbjaON2C-XHNW3uyYBa5YVFWjTUE5IrIciEqpP6bnz3eKd6Ob5mHM4tJyILHkTIZ3DNXQb_KFDqknn_ucVemqMUBSwhdHq3y2NebMG35Dbu80IJ5p5CNVK2iyQ13qnEepmFAy_j8xmqPAPhSZPsebzCdh6EN4dNvZjA1MAXp21TkWppWt-00OnNAfoyhqaRKgUe5sxQg6V89jDKbZ2-gyYkN5cv7gXy8vwYAfZ613ltFjaqKCsOk8gH2-GD_OVMhenJjhbGRTJQLmOf6uRZ9XKEpRaQoGzhqcntbsL8XsvmhKano9DT3eNV0UuGTSIImuE_tet_KHy6gTYwAVziapWgrNBfy5IXV9uovkkpRg8o-gV212OtarcLD_78IhZawiM95yKL9GJZ9pVzEsDSH3GdHpzwgsKnhFrEVnYz-t1Fw4fnapov63LuozvhoRbO9tyXv5AwGJ0uwS5qO7HqcfkKs0risqM1B1fPEEOyinp9-xG0UqzMcnsdtYZchRaE4lx2cw_z-Hp076pUuAs-AY6IMNQfoti-pf47nV2FzjRdhrwZs0YtFN6usgXHLlkcBzCw=w959-h720-no
tupXt9pPa47v3rZJT0eYRkE6cxn1Wpc5YzmAwbnzqYs4xzBpNK4qpeAtyLARGq3nKPZYgsbki4ZGcHO0WZvr4NIeghDqCcTGPkuzVR1LkSZC7Hz4bOF6H5z3KeUYRiUQbW9K_YRtVUTIYh62l5klKtKk9TDs5qYsxGTu_beIRznv_A3UJYiTO2cn7dVWoKVdjX51-hMajZIjCiaf7ApscjEN3uEVEk4RX9-zWTWw8TJ-XHseik9Q7tUEkkwLI2iv9EGsSGwTg9APNpF1Qf1qfXj9JiEdu1XdTCZis9vclg_N9X6Xyd-aZkQKUam7zs2ITxd7Nz875jDZZucQHg0cuoSVjbWS12q3wgIKvOdcjS5t1MK9jqHU5pheg1T1bRSV4SZ89Q6rbRCOd1hxRgrPmS7ATftyPWzgGP4DOm6Semr8D8V0Es-Os5aKsWacDvookl1AWZge8b7TTDa2uSCibWSkP8NWaBWLkhZIpURxytbignM5CgPb8aXUQCv26wPn1h2XkjeKCeVnkiOV_4EgKSkEAt0YyKmG28MCBvf2Fu_ogs0hJaIW3VUKFQVjKpL1l39U4fN8nIcDg6HhrxN3tqLKXjut3KmXpQuSlZ9aSivCTWXr1l4TSi8InbwCgkpB-OxD3iaZh58ZeXgRJpreaizLosaOb-1LxGrZ5izaZfAZ5WcndIpi40wkaB0TSQ=w959-h648-no

I have used Raichlen’s recipe with AMAZING RESULTS! Sourcing the huacatay and Aji Amarillo is worth the effort. I’m not a big one for digging that deep for two components for a recipe but this one is worth it! AND, it’s a spinner!
Might have to do that tomorrow...
The leftovers make an absolutely devastating chicken salad! Yes, make more of the sauce!

This is my favorite way to cook chicken, I went the diy way and got a 4 dollar ss bowl from Ollie's and cut the bottom out, it works like a dream and left me with some money to buy more charcoal with.

I love my vortex and it makes great chicken. I also have two other uses for it. I turn it upside down with a disposable pie pan under it when smoking meats using the snake method (coals around the outside, meat over the top, the pie pan filled with water). And I turn it upside down, fill it with lit coals, and set my wok in the opening of the GBS grate for stir fry. The wok gets good and hot.

Back