Ok my brethren, big cook coming up - advice please

Sunil Patel

TVWBB Fan
Hi Guys and Gals,

Relatively (for me) big cook coming up whereby everything must be ready by 4pm Saturday UK time

So whats on the menu?

4 x Pork Loin Ribs ( each about 800g), total around 3kg ( say 6.6lbs)

2 x Pork Butts, each @ 2.6kg (say 11lbs total)

Nothing fancy on the rubs for either, some mustard top stick some butt rub on the ribs and some old bay on the butts

timewise was planning;

1) Light the wsm around 1am sat morning with heat beads (briquettes) as used them before, very predictable and stable using minion method

2) get around 225-250 deg f by 2am and put both butts on the bottom shelf

3) this allows 12 hours for the butts and can take them off, double foil and hold in a cooler if done sooner - is this realistic?

4) Ribs on top rack around 10am Sat on a 3-2-1 method for 4pm and dump in foil and cooler and drive to the venue within 30 mins.

Or should i keep butts on top and ribs on bottom rack later as ribs wont really need probing

I guess i am just worried that the butts wont be done in time

Cooler is a 32l thermos

Any advice much appreciated

thanks

Sunil

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan ...but if you're concerned they won't be done in time why not start sooner? Give yourself a fudge factor. They will be warm when you pull them for HOURS after they are removed from the cooker.

Sounds like a plan ...but if you're concerned they won't be done in time why not start sooner? Give yourself a fudge factor. They will be warm when you pull them for HOURS after they are removed from the cooker.

Thanks Dwain, you make perfect sense...Will prob start a couple of hours earlier (say by midnight) so at least i can sleep some and not get too drunk and miss the 2am slot lol

Any other tips or advice much appreciated

Do you think the rubs are ok, not trying to get fancy at the final hour (as thats when stuff goes wrong lol) and ribs will be served with JD sweet and sticky sauce or Bullseye original anyhow

Cheers

Looks like you have a good plan. Start a little early as discussed. I would wrap in foil... I never used old bay for seasoning rub but if you have go ahead. I think next time I will do half a slab with old bay...

Sunil, I've left butts wrapped in foil in coolers for 5 hours and they were still piping hot when I took them out.
Your plan sounds good! Enjoy your Saturday!

Sunil, I agree with Jim. My first overnight had a brisket and 2 butts. Butts were on the lower rack of my 22WSM. All came of the 10:30 in the morning and sat in the cooler until 4PM. When they were taken out of the cooler, had to use gloves they were still that hot. Just remember to double wrap with foil before going in the cooler and then wrap with a few large bath towels. Works great.Good luck and have a good time.

Snuil, Tony, Old Bay is one of my added ingredents to my basic rib rub when I want to change things up, adds a nice touch

Hey Chris, i waited for you but you didnt show up:p

Ending up not getting the WSM ready until 2.30am in the end lol. Only had to stir the coals once later on in the cook when temps dropped a bit due to ash build up (kicking the legs didnt really help)

All went well, only did one butt in the end about 12hrs) and 4 racks of ribs on a 3.5-2.5-0.5

Only one butt as there was going to be a lot of other food there either provide by the host and bought by other guests and didnt want to tread on their hired cooks toes :p

Here are some pics, didnt get any of the pork when i pulled it about 4 hours later but it held in the cooler just fine thank you for the advice.

I sauced the ribs up on indirect gasser at the venue

About 25 people there, the ones who tried my ribs and/or pork butt all came over to thank me for such lovely food as they were leaving and the wife of the host said the pro chef running the main grill was annoyed with me lol as a lot of his food got left over :eek:

Must remember to take pics next time as i was too busy getting drunk, applying sauce to ribs and pulling pork at the party! (mostly getting drunk)

Last edited:
The butt (naked)

The butt off the WSM (falling apart as i tried to take it off the lower grate with tongs!)

A pulled pork i did a few weeks back as no pics of the one above pulled, it was more of a rolled bone out shoulder as couldnt find the proper cut until this weekend

the ribs, membrane off

the ribs at 3.5

the ribs at 5.5 (my gasser used as a shelf)

12 hours later

Thankyou for the advice and looking in :)

Last edited:
Pork butt and ribs look excellent...be warned that after this your friends will be asking you to bbq more often.. Which is a good thing. :)

Back