Oiling Vents

Mark D. Anderson

TVWBB Member
I've been looking for the answer for this, but must not be putting in the right search terms.

I've got vents that are really hard to open and close on the bottom of my Bullet. What should I use to unstick 'em?

Thanks!

1) Hose out/clean the bottom section
2) Scrub the vent areas, inside and out with warm water, nylon bristle brush and dish detergent
3) Put the bottom section up on a bench (sawhorses + plywood)
4) Spraying with Pam, work the vents loose (you may not need anything but the warm, soapy water)

When you are done, it's probably best to leave these bottom vents clean and dry.
Cooking oil with attract ash which will turn to gunk.

In extreme cases, as in my CL WSM, the bottom vents were toast.
I had to drill them out and replace with a lower vent kit from Weber.

Last edited:
1) Hose out/clean the bottom section
2) Scrub the vent areas, inside and out with warm water, nylon bristle brush and dish detergent
3) Put the bottom section up on a bench (sawhorses + plywood)
4) Spraying with Pam, work the vents loose (you may not need anything but the warm, soapy water)

When you are done, it's probably best to leave these bottom vents clean and dry.
Cooking oil with attract ash which will turn to gunk.

In extreme cases, as in my CL WSM, the bottom vents were toast.
I had to drill them out and replace with a lower vent kit from Weber.

I think #1 and #2 are all you should have to do. They should work if they are clean. Maybe use a degreaser like simple green and let soak for a bit. Then if all else fails, drilling them out is a reasonable option. Though I wouldn't think you'd need a vent kit if the vent is in good shape. Drill it out and replace the rivet with a stainless steel bolt and locking nut. Hopefully cleaning will do the trick.

.................Drill it out and replace the rivet with a stainless steel bolt and locking nut. Hopefully cleaning will do the trick.
I did this but also used a heat resistant fibre washer between the vent and the bowl, & on the lock-nut on the inside of the bowl. That way you can tighten them up without damaging the porcelain & you don't get that awful "nails-on-blackboard" screeching sound.

White vinegar also works great as a degreaser. It works better if the parts being degreased are warm, so throw in a load of lit charcoal and let it go for a bit before you start cleaning.

Like Chad said, white vinegar works well for me. If you need something stronger cleaning vinegar works great. You can get that at most hardware stores. It has a higher acid content. I mainly use it instead of drain cleaner in the sinks and bath tubs.

Ok, so it l0oks like 2 of the vents are rusted pretty well. (My smoker holds water like a bathtub for some reason.) any other ideas to loosen them? Or what size bit should I use for drilling?

…….(My smoker holds water like a bathtub for some reason……...
I'm guessing here that your smoker is stored outside without a waterproof cover?
If so, the lid of the smoker sits inside, on the lip, of the upper part of the barrel. This will allow water to run down the lid and into the smoker between lid & barrel.

I don't know the reason why Weber don't make the WSM lid so it overlaps the upper part of the barrel, the same as the kettle. Anyone know?

I'm guessing here that your smoker is stored outside without a waterproof cover?
If so, the lid of the smoker sits inside, on the lip, of the upper part of the barrel. This will allow water to run down the lid and into the smoker between lid & barrel.

I don't know the reason why Weber don't make the WSM lid so it overlaps the upper part of the barrel, the same as the kettle. Anyone know?

The lid is on the inside so that during use any condensation and whatever will run down the inside and stay inside. The mid section on the base is the same.

The absurdly easy solution to the rain problem is to store your smoker with the mid section inverted.

My best guess is the lid goes on the inside so that any grease, soot, or water will run down the inside of the middle section where it will season the interior and/or burn off. If the lip was on the outside, all the gunk would running down the exterior of the WSM.

EDIT - oops. Didn't see Brian's post. Sorry for repeating the same info.

Back