::Official:: 4th of July Smoke Thread!!!

Doing the 4th if July smoke today. Watching the UFC fight tonight with friends. Been on the smoker since 8 this morning. Ribs have been on since 12:30 pm. Getting ready to sauce the ribs now.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Went with something new for me, a Top Round. 4 lbs, cooked about 2 hours at around 400. Forgot to sear it at the end but it turned out nice anyway. Took it off at 140. I didn't use any wood but still got a ring, go figure....lol.

img0488h.jpg

img0485.jpg

img0489mk.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S.:
Forgot to sear it at the end ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Forgot to let it rest too? Look at all that juice running out. Quick, grab some bread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I didn't use any wood but still got a ring, go figure....lol.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't need 'wood'. The smoke from the charcoal is enough. Smoke contains nitrites. The chemical reaction between the smoke's nitrites and the meat's moisture form the the smoke ring.

You can get a perfect 'smoke ring' with no smoke at all. Sprinkle on a little Morton's Quick Cure which contains nitrites and you'll get a smoke ring even in an oven.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S.:
Forgot to sear it at the end ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Forgot to let it rest too? Look at all that juice running out. Quick, grab some bread.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, we were starved...lol. Waited about 5 min. Not to worry, the drippin's didn't go to waste. The kaisers soaked it up nicely.
icon_razz.gif

Did a high-temp brisket today. Turned out great. Hope to get it posted as the July feature article tomorrow.

Regards,
Chris

Got up at 6:15 AM to put a six lb-er on. Got to be quiet,though. Got a house full of guests! Mom is on the sleeper sofa not 10 feet from me(she had choice of sleeper sofa or spare bedroom. She chose the sofa. Less stairs!) My neice,great neice and my niece's friend are asleep in the spare bedroom. Sweet Pammi Sue is asleep in our bed. Levi,our dachshund,is asleep in my lap. And here I am,drinking coffee and posting on my favorite forum. I am insane and love it!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
Got up at 6:15 AM to put a six lb-er on. . . And here I am,drinking coffee and posting on my favorite forum. I am insane and love it!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't Life Great!

BB Ribs today, getting ready to de-membrane and rub them. Hamburgers for lunch with the daughter (who has to be elsewhere this evening) and new SIL. Yeah, that boy is smart - he is coming back for ribs

Chilled cucumber-avocado soup; ral el hanout-rubbed rack of lamb, Indian yellow rice, garlic-wilted spinach, roasted Campari tomato:

cukeavosoup.jpg

racklamb.jpg

Did an all left wing cook yesterday.
Too lazy to 'tip' them, and probably wouldn't have noticed that they were all lefties if I had.
Breaking St Louis tradition today, no pork steaks, doing tri-tip instead.
100_3607.jpg

100_3609.jpg

Both Kevin and Bob that looks great.

Kevin: Havent tryed lamb before but sure will my wife sitting here drooling atm.
And about the cucumber-avocado soup u have a recipy to share? looks
icon_biggrin.gif

Bob: Those wings look great,nice use of that grate
icon_cool.gif

//Me

Wolfe Ribs (loin backs), the best bbq bean recipe on the planet(to me), and cole slaw ... Simple but gooooood
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And about the cucumber-avocado soup u have a recipy to share? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup. It's here. Right now I'm making a classic gazpacho and a ajo blanco - both recipes are in the same thread, below the cuke soup recipe.

The lamb was rubbed with ras el hanout, a spice blend ubiquitous in Morocco. Different spice vendors make different versions but they are all similar - and might have as many as 50 ingredients. The one I make has ~40. All the warm spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, mace, allspice, et al.), some typical aromarics, and numerous 'exotics', i.e., rosebud, lavender, grains of paradise, orris root, African bird chile, and others. Herbs are not normally included though i include a little ground bay in mine.

For the cuke soup I made the recipe noted but added the meat of 1 ripe Haas avocado when I puréed.

Dang, you guys have a great start on me. Woke-up this morning lacking the motivation to cook. Got ribs and a fatty I need to get going but can't get off my butt. Need to read through these posts again for motivation . . .

Made up a new batch of BBQ sauce a few days ago and saved myself some of my homemade coleslaw for the party I went to yesterday.
Both will go very nicely with the Boston Butt I have out on the smoker right now. I put it on at 7:30 this morning over hickory and cherry wood. Pulled pork sandwiches await!

Hungary, Lar? There's your motivation.

A little brunch of roasted asparagus over whole grain toast, poached egg, Hollandaise...

eggasp.jpg

Very nice looking! Why am I hungry again?

Went with something new for me, a Top Round. 4 lbs, cooked about 2 hours at around 400. Forgot to sear it at the end but it turned out nice anyway. Took it off at 140. I didn't use any wood but still got a ring, go figure....lol.

img0488h.jpg

img0485.jpg

img0489mk.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back