::Official:: 4th of July Smoke Thread!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
Chris, welcome in sir. Smoke ring comes from putting cold meat on the hot smoker, not from smoke wood.

Colder the meat- deeper the ring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah... well, you learn something new every day. I never realized the temperature of the meat impacted the smoke ring. That would make sense then, as the Brisket sat out for about 20 minutes while I waited for the smoker to reach the right temperature.... while the ribs were only out for 5 or 10 minutes before going on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Originally posted by Bill S.:
Went with something new for me, a Top Round. 4 lbs, cooked about 2 hours at around 400. Forgot to sear it at the end but it turned out nice anyway. Took it off at 140. I didn't use any wood but still got a ring, go figure....lol.

Bill - have to say that is one beauty of a top round. Think I can almost taste it from hear. Awesome. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks....Me and my son polished off the whole thing, it didn't stand a chance....lol. Wife has been buying eye of round for the past 20 years, I told her from now on get top round. But then again the way she tends to dry everything out (she doesn't like any red) I don't think it will matter.....lol.

Brian Bo thats sum really good pics of the deli food u served that day.

Love to se posts like that.

Keep it up

Bless//Me

I'm a little late to the party but I did a whole packer for the 4th (note the point is missing from the pics as I cooked it separate from the flat and it headed straight to the freezer when done). The brisket was smoked between 250 and 275 deg until it had nice color and then placed in a foil pan with 1/2 can of Coke and pan covered with foil. Cook time for the flat between 5 and 6 hours (until probe tender). I returned to smoker out of pan for 10 minutes to firm up the bark.

Here's the flat:
IMG00084.jpg

And here are a few slices after being dipped in the juice of the brisket:
IMG000862.jpg

-Don

This was my second smoke. 2 whole briskies - one 12.5lb and one 8.5lb. Overnight smoke. They reached temp sooner than I expected so they went in the cooler at about 9:30 AM. They were still servably hot when I sliced them at 6:30 PM! Guests raved. When the teenage girls go back for thirds, you know you're on to something!

I smoked a 15lbs Brisket on the top, 2 x 6 lbs Pork butts on the bottom, and using my inverted stacker had the Beans on the very bottom in my Dutch oven. mmm Great weekend of smoking
icon_smile.gif

Back