::Official:: 4th of July Smoke Thread!!!

Jamie Berry

TVWBB Fan
Butts, Ribs and ABTs for me (pics to follow). I'll probably get started around 12 AM. What does everyone have planned???

Silly ol' me was planning on burgers and dogs. Then got a request for Phil-B-Q. Okay. If you insist!
icon_biggrin.gif

Pork Butt going on this afternoon for eating this weekend and restocking freezer.

Roadside Chicken for Saturday.

Brisket for Sunday. Going to experiment with 2 or 3 rubs on trimmed flats. Might marinade one. Won't know for sure until I trim the packer later today.

Good question. It'll be multiple courses, that much I'm sure of (it's my favorite way to eat) but I don't know what I'll do. I'll be at the Okla house (where I have only a kettle) and the <STRIKE>meat</STRIKE> food selection is abysmal in Shawnee... . I do have a rack of lamb in the freezer I got elsewhere so might go that route. But I'll likely do what I usually do: see what the best produce available is, purchase that then figure out what I'm doing with it, then decide on the protein based on that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernie D:
Also I will be drinking beer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, I like that! I actually just got my WSM 18.5" in the mail the other day. Still need to assemble and them am gonna break it in this weekend. Not sure with what yet. Perhaps some whole chickens and then some salmon.

Thanks

Well I was planning on hitting up the Sam's club on the way home from work and see what they got there. I really want to do a HH brisket (my first) but it sounds like we won't have much company over Sat like we thought. Guess I'll just have to feel it out.

Question, has anybody found tri-tips at a sams club (im in midwest)?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Dunno. Never shopped at Sam's. But where are you specifically? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Nebraska

Was just there. Big Spring through Omaha and out, on the way out of Vegas. Bummer. I've got two with me I'm not needing anytime soon.

Unfortunately you have no Trader Joe's there. I don't shop at Costco either but several members here have reported finding them there, if you have a membership.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Was just there. Big Spring through Omaha and out, on the way out of Vegas. Bummer. I've got two with me I'm not needing anytime soon.

Unfortunately you have no Trader Joe's there. I don't shop at Costco either but several members here have reported finding them there, if you have a membership. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah they announced that they are building a Trader Joe's here in Omaha, I don't know when that will be though.

Well I'll just have to see what they have at Sams. What horrible decisions to have to make
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Today:

2 racks of bb's, taters, and corn.

Sat:

Butt, 2-4 racks of bb's, bush's grilling beans w/ blackburn syrup, sweet baby ray's and left over pulled pork, chicken tenderloins, fattie and smoked beef dogs.

Sunday:

Brisket and veggies.

The guest are coming Sat. 1 brisket point,( just found it in the freezer. My 1st brisket I cut into sections, can't remember why, haven't done it since, but I found it so I'm cookin it.)
Going to do some practice comp thighs, 12, I believe. Seved in turn in box KCBS style. ABTs. Fixins are comin with the guests?

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Haskins:
2 Butts
24 half chickens on the pit
Bushel of Steamers
Shrimp Boil
Clam Chowder
Clam Cakes & Fried Oysters
Cold Beer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll be at Bob Haskins' place
icon_biggrin.gif

Not officially the 4th, since I'm bbqing Monday instead of Sunday, but I'm gonna smoke nine slabs of spares on my little wsm.

I'm gonna probably trim five of the nine racks, with 4.5 slabs of the untrimmed ones on the bottom. I'll rub with some Blues hog, and my own recipe when that runs out, saucing some with reg. Blues Hog, some with Head Country, and some with SBR w/ honey.

I'm doing a pretty standard (foiless) cook, but cooking around 275, a little hotter than I normally do. I'm sure it will take a good bit less than the usual 7, but then again, the cooker will be filled to the max. with pretty decent sized spares that started untrimmed at about four pounds a slab.

Anybody got a guess how long my cook might take?

Thanks if you have an educated guess!
Dave

Smoking up a 9.14# and 7.52# butt and one rack of ribs @ 4.31#. Probably have some cole slaw baked beans and homemade peach cobbler for desert. Oh, and a lot of beer.

Back