Off Topic - Build Mod for HM

I left it run out overnight after smoking a pork tenderloin (which turned out awfully good....) Ran 12 hours or so on around 8 lbs of lump charcoal. Think I'm happy.

The HM graph after freeing up the air shutter was awfully pretty, compared to the seasoning burn. I'll have to take some pics when it's loaded on the trailer (think a 10k flat bed w/ 4" straps will be sufficient? :D ) And *DEFINITELY* some pics of the 'que.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war! (but it's better in the original Klingon.....) No turning back now.

I have to get into the bottom of mine first..... Had an "opportunity" when I was unloading the smoker from the trailer. Found some dry rot in the trailer decking, and came a little closer than I'd like to tipping the smoker off the back end.

I see you've got a toggle latch on top of your door. Is your door not sealing well without it?

I have to get into the bottom of mine first..... Had an "opportunity" when I was unloading the smoker from the trailer. Found some dry rot in the trailer decking, and came a little closer than I'd like to tipping the smoker off the back end.

I see you've got a toggle latch on top of your door. Is your door not sealing well without it?

Yeah, it's not sealing when the slam latch closes. I added more gasket material and have been thinking about getting a thicker gasket. But, I think I'm also happy with the added latch on the door as is, so I'll probably just leave it.

Yeah, it's not sealing when the slam latch closes. I added more gasket material and have been thinking about getting a thicker gasket. But, I think I'm also happy with the added latch on the door as is, so I'll probably just leave it.

Give some consideration to running a bead of weld around the sealing surface on the case where the gasket would rest.

Damn you guys. I popped in here because I built a new HM I was going to use for a second drum smoker and now I have to build one of these things instead...

I guess it’ll be alright. Have been doing 50-70lbs of bacon out of my one PBC every other week for a couple months now. I guess I can make the big one and do 100lbs all in one batch instead of the 2-3batches I have been doing.

Yeah that thing looks friggin' awesome, a real pro-looking job there and real clean with the integrated temperature monitoring.

Damn you guys. I popped in here because I built a new HM I was going to use for a second drum smoker and now I have to build one of these things instead...

I guess it’ll be alright. Have been doing 50-70lbs of bacon out of my one PBC every other week for a couple months now. I guess I can make the big one and do 100lbs all in one batch instead of the 2-3batches I have been doing.

You will love it. If you do make the big one, read up on some of the changes that it needs to make it more user friendly. Like for instance, a removable charcoal grate. I am thinking of cutting mine out and making it removable.

The only regret, is not making the recessed area bigger. It's a tight fit, as I did not account for the probes and TC connection.

And I was thinking mine was a tight fit, and I expanded my HM pocket from frame member to frame member!

I will echo the removable charcoal grate.

I will also politely suggest hangin' out on the Smoker Builder forums and waiting for Frank's product announcement. I got some details from him 3 weeks on the phone ("YOU SUCK, DUDE!") There's a couple of people here that I've been telling that you don't want to do what I've done, you *REALLY* want to wait for what Frank is working on. Really, wait for it, it should be worth it.

Benjamin, what part of IL? I escaped Chicago's western 'burbs 12 years ago.

Jk, I live near Elgin. Been in the West/Far-west suburbs for about 13 years. From Connecticut originally.

Looking to get out of Illinois but its at least 8yrs away.

Jk, I live near Elgin. Been in the West/Far-west suburbs for about 13 years. From Connecticut originally.

Looking to get out of Illinois but its at least 8yrs away.

It's a small world.

I lived in Elgin, until 2015. Lived off of big timber and combs rd. I finally was able to move back to Washington st. After trying to get out of Illinois for 16 years.

Heh.... TINY world, John.

We escaped in 2006, lived in Bloomingdale for 12 years. We got out towards Elgin a bit, yes, there's a few bits that we avoided......

It's a small world.

I lived in Elgin, until 2015. Lived off of big timber and combs rd. I finally was able to move back to Washington st. After trying to get out of Illinois for 16 years.

I lived right near there for a while. From end of 2014 to middle of 2016 I was in Gilbert’s off of 72. And then for a year I lived in Gilbert’s right next to Coombs and Big Timber.

Now I’m west of Randall behind the target.

Small world for sure. Lol

Back