NY strip vs Ribeye

Andy.Craig

TVWBB Fan
I have always gone back and forth on which I liked better... Tonight I had to settle it.

Went for Prime NY Strip and Ribeye. Both reverse seared and finished on the cast iron, same basic seasoning of salt, pepper, garlic.

This was a great cook and I actually think I may lean towards the NY Strip which wouldnt have been my guess pre-cook. Overall, incredible dinner.

Attachments

• 20210619_173831.jpg
    20210619_173831.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210619_193802.jpg
    20210619_193802.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210619_193301.jpg
    20210619_193301.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 44
Andy what an amazing test with no correct answer!!! Well I guess the correct answer is to get both. My favorite two cuts of beef have become Tri Tip and Picanha. So rather then having to decide I got myself a prime cut Tri Tip and a prime cut Picanha for father's day, now I don't have to choose!!! Cooking the Tri tip tomorrow band will do the Picanha next week!

Wow. Nice competition setup! The beefiness of the NY vs the rich fatty goodness of the ribeye....I cannot honestly say I could pick a definitive winner. Love em both...

Nice test! I've eaten my weight of each. Still my favourite steak is an asian flavored marinated flank steak, grilled to 125 and sliced across the grain. I eat that about twice a month (and for 2-3 nights following since I always grill two big ones from Costco).

Great job on those steaks - beautiful crust. I used to be a ribeye guy, but in recent years go for the Strip more often than not.

Depending in what each looks like and if they are prime or choice. I also get chuckeyes if they are prime. Cheaper than both ribeye and NY strip and just as good.

For me it depends on the method of cooking. I much prefer a rib eye cooked on a griddle or pan to avoid flare ups whilst a NY (or sirloin in the UK) is best over coals. Personal choice I know.

Andy...
Taking a guess here, but IF your Ribeye had also contained the Spinalis Dorsi muscle rather than just the Longissimus Dorsa muscle, you might have preferred the Ribeye...

On another note... Let me put this out there.... When Pigs Fly BBQ

I love to nibble the bone, but the Strip has a killer flavor.

These have an amazing sear on them. It has me contemplating the cast iron griddle insert for the GBS.

I have to give some thought to it. Would love to do a LnS with half a chimney and then do a final sear on the CI. Could probably do a small snake in the center of the charcoal grate then drop the Vortex in there with the CI insert above it.. Sounds like a nice project...

Andy...
Taking a guess here, but IF your Ribeye had also contained the Spinalis Dorsi muscle rather than just the Longissimus Dorsa muscle, you might have preferred the Ribeye...

On another note... Let me put this out there.... When Pigs Fly BBQ
Bob - curious about the "When Pigs Fly BBQ" comment - what's that about? There's a restaurant by that name in Wichita that I haven't tried yet... but I'm not sure that's your reference

Bob - curious about the "When Pigs Fly BBQ" comment - what's that about? There's a restaurant by that name in Wichita that I haven't tried yet... but I'm not sure that's your reference
Hi John,
A friend of ours has 2 BBQ restaurants in Vista CA. One co-exists with his Chevron gas station while the other, When Pigs Fly BBQ, resides in the center of old town Vista CA. When Pigs Fly was the name of their competition KCBS BBQ team.

Last edited:
Any steak cooked to medium rare with a good seasoning makes a great meal. I my house, sometimes we just serve with a really simple romaine lettuce salad and garlic bread. I'm like Tony, I really enjoy Porterhouse or T-Bone when I can find them.

Here's a pick of my last "steak night" dinner, 6 strip steaks and garlic bread toasting over lump charcoal.
1624204062369.png

Hi John,
A friend of ours has 2 BBQ restaurants in Vista CA. One co-exists with his Chevron gas station while the other, When Pigs Fly BBQ, resides in the center of old town Vista CA. When Pigs Fly was the name of their competition KCBS BBQ team.
Best peach cobbler ever too!

I have always gone back and forth on which I liked better... Tonight I had to settle it.

Went for Prime NY Strip and Ribeye. Both reverse seared and finished on the cast iron, same basic seasoning of salt, pepper, garlic.

This was a great cook and I actually think I may lean towards the NY Strip which wouldnt have been my guess pre-cook. Overall, incredible dinner.
I'll have one of each please........

Back