NY dirty water dogs and steamed buns

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Old school NY style dirty water dogs here (cooked in clean water and boiled).

Served in a steamed bun with relish on one and kraut on the other.

Nathan’s finest, always. All beef, kosher style dogs.

1686103978191.jpeg

1686104004203.jpeg

Sometimes the best things in life are the simple things. Mmmmm.

Looks like a Casper’s hotdog, which if I ever have to choose a last meal, it’ll be a Casper’s Double Dog, no cheese

Looks like a Casper’s hotdog, which if I ever have to choose a last meal, it’ll be a Casper’s Double Dog, no cheese
Never had a Casper’s dog. Gonna have to look this up. I have had, however, hundreds of Nathan’s and Sabrett dogs.

Kraut is fabulous.....and provides tons of health benefits along with some vitamins.
It is also nutritious and I believe aids in digestion.........but don't just jump on the band wagon.
How it is made is the most important part......the only important part.
Processed foods we know in general really has no benefits, I call it garbage but I am not here to insult anyone who eats it.....I still do here and there, it's extremely easy for the most part. Think frozen grocery store lasagna.....just toss it in and walk away for 40 minutes.
If you want the best out of your kraut, be sure to check the manufacturing process if possible....high heat will eliminate almost all of the benefits from eating kraut.......
Sorry for the rant......
Easy fix is to make your own, you can get the tools required off amazon for around $60 CAD, so cheaper in the states.
A head of cabbage is dirt cheap and 1 head is enough to make 5 or 6 quart jars and that lasts a good amount of time.
After a bunch of work slicing it up super thin all you need is salt and the calculator is online for that......there is a ratio in weight for optimum fermentation. It's been a while since I made it but if I remember right it something like 2.2 to 3.5% or something.......I would have to check again.
You just need to wait the 30 days or whatever you do......it can be variable of course....depends on how you like it ect......
Any investment after your first batch is only the price of cabbage.
Now you have all the benefits of real kraut and its basically free once you offset the price of your investment by making 2 or 3 batches.
Anything fermented like that basically provides you the same benefits, and you have the tools....kimchi is a bit more work but can easily be done.
Pickles, except the tools for kraut only allows you to make small batches at a time.
Sorry again for ranting, I got on this train a while ago and learned a few things and I like it very much.....wanted to share the pros and cons if anyone was interested........I could post what I purchased if anyone wanted, I went small for 2 people and its the cheapest route, the larger options are much more expensive and makes tons if you eat it everyday it could be an option.

Those dogs by the way are made right....and look good. the only thing that goes on my dogs are mustard, kraut and pickles / relish.
The steamed buns which I never do look like the hold together better when filling them up, nice feature.

Last edited:
Never had a Casper’s dog. Gonna have to look this up. I have had, however, hundreds of Nathan’s and Sabrett dogs.
Don't confuse Casper's with Kasper's, there's no comparison. Sadly, there's only 7 locations: Pleasant Hill (my high school hangout after we had to take our girlfriends home) Dublin, Hayward (2 locations) Oakland & Richmond. Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek & Dublin are good locations, the Hayward locations aren't too bad, Oakland & Richmond is not recommended

Kraut is fabulous.....and provides tons of health benefits along with some vitamins.
It is also nutritious and I believe aids in digestion.........but don't just jump on the band wagon.
How it is made is the most important part......the only important part.
Processed foods we know in general really has no benefits, I call it garbage but I am not here to insult anyone who eats it.....I still do here and there, it's extremely easy for the most part. Think frozen grocery store lasagna.....just toss it in and walk away for 40 minutes.
If you want the best out of your kraut, be sure to check the manufacturing process if possible....high heat will eliminate almost all of the benefits from eating kraut.......
Sorry for the rant......
Easy fix is to make your own, you can get the tools required off amazon for around $60 CAD, so cheaper in the states.
A head of cabbage is dirt cheap and 1 head is enough to make 5 or 6 quart jars and that lasts a good amount of time.
After a bunch of work slicing it up super thin all you need is salt and the calculator is online for that......there is a ratio in weight for optimum fermentation. It's been a while since I made it but if I remember right it something like 2.2 to 3.5% or something.......I would have to check again.
You just need to wait the 30 days or whatever you do......it can be variable of course....depends on how you like it ect......
Any investment after your first batch is only the price of cabbage.
Now you have all the benefits of real kraut and its basically free once you offset the price of your investment by making 2 or 3 batches.
Anything fermented like that basically provides you the same benefits, and you have the tools....kimchi is a bit more work but can easily be done.
Pickles, except the tools for kraut only allows you to make small batches at a time.
Sorry again for ranting, I got on this train a while ago and learned a few things and I like it very much.....wanted to share the pros and cons if anyone was interested........I could post what I purchased if anyone wanted, I went small for 2 people and its the cheapest route, the larger options are much more expensive and makes tons if you eat it everyday it could be an option.

Those dogs by the way are made right....and look good. the only thing that goes on my dogs are mustard, kraut and pickles / relish.
The steamed buns which I never do look like the hold together better when filing them up, nice feature.
You’d like my garlic sour pickles then. I also enjoy shooting the pickle brine juice once it’s aged some.

Yes, raw kraut is best. Yes, heating kraut for bottling purposes kills the probiotics of natural kraut. Just don’t buy kraut with ingredients more than cabbage, water and salt. Some jarred krauts have preservatives to keep the cabbage from darkening. Avoid those if you cannot get fresh kraut.

I love the flavor profile of this Zergut brand. It’s like the kraut I grew up eating as it’s a European style kraut and that’s what we ate.

Steaming the buns makes them pliable and they don’t fall apart. Both are key so you can load your dog up and eat it instead of wear it, as all your toppings fall off a dry, crumbly bun.

I just love a good hot dog. I don’t care if it’s steamed, grilled, pan fried, air fried, boiled or even in the microwave. Same goes with the bun and most toppings. I’m happy to mix and match condiments, toppings and bun preparation style. I pretty much like them all and I don’t really have a “favorite”. As long as the dog is good, I like to experiment with other ingredients.

Nicely done Chris.

I slightly boil my Ball Parks, Nathans or Hebrew Nationals dogs and then bbq them.....anybody else do this.
They come out so tender..and free of any salty taste....

Nicely done Chris.

I slightly boil my Ball Parks, Nathans or Hebrew Nationals dogs and then bbq them.....anybody else do this.
They come out so tender..and free of any salty taste....
very rarely will i boil then grill dogs. i do like a grilled dog with a nice snappy bite on the skin. but man can those grilled dogs burn your mouth with all that fat, juice, salty goodness popping in your face on first bite.

i do like the boiled dogs though as they do take a lot of the salt out and leave more of a beef flavor and don't explode when you bite into one.

but on a summer day, big bbq, cold beer in hand, that snap is pure goodness.

try a Sabrett dog if you have them nearby. Sprouts sells them, IIRC. they're right up there with Nathan's.

Did you at least boil the water on the WSK?
the cooktop is just too easy to use. 8 dogs in water and go. rack atop the dogs when they're cooked through to steam up the bun.

it's pretty funny to see the reaction to this simple dinner post. i wasn't expecting so many dog connoisseurs. clearly i undershot the topic and cook.

the cooktop is just too easy to use. 8 dogs in water and go. rack atop the dogs when they're cooked through to steam up the bun.

it's pretty funny to see the reaction to this simple dinner post. i wasn't expecting so many dog connoisseurs. clearly i undershot the topic and cook.
You have created a cult like following, lol!

Back