NY dirty water dogs and steamed buns

the cooktop is just too easy to use. 8 dogs in water and go. rack atop the dogs when they're cooked through to steam up the bun.

it's pretty funny to see the reaction to this simple dinner post. i wasn't expecting so many dog connoisseurs. clearly i undershot the topic and cook.
Now, as a 30+ year NYC resident, there’s only one way to improve…….save the water, cook more dogs in it each night for like a week. THEN you have the perfect dogs, lol

You can get Hebrew national or Nathan's here in the stores but Vienna Beef is king in Chicago. I think they are all pretty good.

The amount of different types of dogs you guys talk about is crazy......we have maybe 3 or 4 and 2 are from the same company with 1 of those simply just being 100% beef dogs.....which I do enjoy.
Also painfully I must admit......at age of 16 I quit dogs until I hit somewhere in my early 30's.....15 years or so dog free.....that is a whole other story.
After I tried one again I was apparently over what I had going on and it was.....okay.....golf course hot dog.....just okay.
Since then....the painful part of the story....I bet I average maybe 4 to 8 dogs per year....1 or 2 sittings, and 1 of those for sure is my homemade queso and chili. Refer to my queso threads....I think I posted a dog or 2 in one of them, massive amounts of chili and cheese, so rich, so lay on the couch for a bit after :ROFLMAO:
The point is I don't know what a good hot dog tastes like and I don't eat many probably for that reason.

The protein in this brand is mechanically separated chicken.....
1686246592456.png

and juicy jumbos come both in pork and beef with about 8 things on the ingredients list I cannot pronounce.
Regular, thick, and long wieners are your choices.......this is not exciting at all......there may be more but not found easily.
I should do some more research, we do have a COSTCO about an hour away.......

1686246680319.png

The amount of different types of dogs you guys talk about is crazy......we have maybe 3 or 4 and 2 are from the same company with 1 of those simply just being 100% beef dogs.....which I do enjoy.
Also painfully I must admit......at age of 16 I quit dogs until I hit somewhere in my early 30's.....15 years or so dog free.....that is a whole other story.
After I tried one again I was apparently over what I had going on and it was.....okay.....golf course hot dog.....just okay.
Since then....the painful part of the story....I bet I average maybe 4 to 8 dogs per year....1 or 2 sittings, and 1 of those for sure is my homemade queso and chili. Refer to my queso threads....I think I posted a dog or 2 in one of them, massive amounts of chili and cheese, so rich, so lay on the couch for a bit after :ROFLMAO:
The point is I don't know what a good hot dog tastes like and I don't eat many probably for that reason.

The protein in this brand is mechanically separated chicken.....
View attachment 72234

and juicy jumbos come both in pork and beef with about 8 things on the ingredients list I cannot pronounce.
Regular, thick, and long wieners are your choices.......this is not exciting at all......there may be more but not found easily.
I should do some more research, we do have a COSTCO about an hour away.......

View attachment 72235
the costco dogs are all beef and kosher style (ingredients and being all beef). costco launched their dog to control costs as their previous vendor was Hebrew National. so costco basically copied the Hebrew National ingredients and process (private label creation just for them). the coscto dog is a good one, but i only eat it at costco. i don't like to serve jumbo dogs off the grill at home due to their size. for a bbq, we just prefer a bun length dog that's not too filling, and the costco dog is very filling (it's marketed as 1/4 pound plus).

total side read for fun: https://www.consumerreports.org/food/best-hot-dogs-a9587842690/

i stand by my original preference for a really good dog, Nathan's and then a Sabrett dog.

you know dogs have gone high end when Bon Appetite does a review: https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/story/best-hot-dog-brand

well, they're really just Americana and why waste time eating a less than satisfying dog?!?!?!

i've had the chicken, pork, turkey, mixed and many brands over the years (at other people's cookouts). i'll stick with what i know and love.

now, is a hot dog in a bun a sandwich? and is a hot dog a sausage? oh let the debates begin.

and who here has a killer mustard recipe to share? we do make our own of various styles but am always seeking something worth trying.

FWIW, you can buy Casper's hotdogs at Costco. They are skinny, but that's why Casper's sells the "Double Dog" in their dinners. I get a double dog with everything, but hold the cheese. You can also add Chili, but I just like the hot dog

I'm all in on the dawg post.... The best hot dog I ever had was a Kohn's Kosher dog with pastrami, kraut, and brown mustard... I can only hope/assume they still serve them at Busch Stadium in STL... I only go to Busch about once a year, and got lucky and sat in the box seats the last 2 years, so getting to the the Kohn's stand didn't happen the last couple years. May have to replicate the experience in the back yard share some pics instead this year...

I love kraut too. May have to figure out working it in to the regular diet. Selling wifey on it will be the hard part ;)

Update;
Me - Hey wifey; how about some kraut
Wifey - NO!!! I'm not sure why that even exists
Me - OK, kraut but no caraway seeds
Wifey - NO!!! Just NO!!!!
🤣 She's so hard for me to read sometimes....🤣

This is now an official kraut thread.......

FWIW, you can buy Casper's hotdogs at Costco. They are skinny, but that's why Casper's sells the "Double Dog" in their dinners. I get a double dog with everything, but hold the cheese. You can also add Chili, but I just like the hot dog

So possibly I could find Casper's in my Canadian Costco.....maybe........????
If I can it would be my best bet an I should buy them without hesitation?

This is now an official kraut thread.......

So possibly I could find Casper's in my Canadian Costco.....maybe........????
If I can it would be my best bet an I should buy them without hesitation?
You won't find Casper's hot dogs at you local Costco here in Ontario, they only carry Schneiders and Maple Leaf and the Kirkland small and large all beef hot dogs. the Kirkland (Costco) brand is your best bet you can try one at the snack bar for $1.50 including soft drink. I only eat 4-5 hot dogs a year and only Kirkland all beef which I found to be the best tasting of all hot dog brands available here . You can buy the large Costco all beef hot dogs packed about 12-13 pack , they sell the hot dog buns (Dempsters) at Costco to fit the dogs but they are packed 2x12 = 24 buns .

Last edited:
You won't find Casper's hot dogs at you local Costco here in Onario, they only carry Schneiders and Maple Leaf and the Kirkland small and large all beef hot dogs. the Kirkland (Costco) brand is your best bet you can try one at the snack bar for $1.50 including soft drink. I only eat 4-5 hot dogs a year and only Kirkland all beef which I found to be the best tasting of all hot dog brands available here . You can buy the large Costco all beef hot dogs packed about 12-13 pack , they sell the hot dog buns (Dempsters) at Costco to fit the dogs but they are packed 2x12 = 24 buns .

Good heads up, thanks Bill...I am very not fluent with Costco.
I may look for these all beef frank's......I feel like I am due for a great dog, maybe eat on Sunday......if I do I may post here....I have some kraut still and I have mustard.....done.
I hate it there and I don't " hate " many things.
I have to go this weekend to stock up a wee bit and get Father's day foods in line.......
We also need things like poop tickets, water and it's going to be a fair bit of meat.....I told the MRS we need 2 carts as a pack of tickets and 3 packs of water totally kills one cart by itself.....she said no way, I said give me a better option......there is no better option other than waiting in line to pay 2 times and that line is about 20 minutes long....seems silly.

Father's day is pork belly burnt ends and some sort of roast, with smoke and cooked to a medium for beef sandwiches....maybe au jus for the ladies.
Caesar salad as the MRS makes a good one and still need one more side.

There's a small butcher shop chain here in the Twin Cities (also has a few outlets in AZ, oddly enough...) with some of the best natural casing weiners I've ever eaten. I don't think I've bought any other hot dogs in probably 10 years now.

As a mass market alternative, Schweigert's (based in Lacrosse, WI) are pretty good.

Nothing wrong with a good old simple dog! Had a couple the other day.

For sauerkraut its all homemade here. Salt and cabbage. Goes in the kraut crock then into canning jars and into the fridge. Actrually need to make another batch.

Back