Not so sure I know what I got here

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Okay I’ll admit it I’m more of a beef and chicken guy. Now that beef purchases are getting into car payment range I decided to look at other options shall we say pork. Now I smoke butts and buy boneless pork sirloins in the bag and cut my own chops, so it’s not like it’s new to me. Even going to try and get the local super market meat cutter to cut up a butt into steaks the next time they’re on sale.
To get to the point I saw these at $1.00 a pound, now I’m not going to let these get away at that price, 5 in a package about one pound each. Problem is I’ve never seen these before and have no idea what I should do with them or exactly what they are. All I know is I have 15 of them in my freezer.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
End of novel.

pork001_zps10100b6c.jpg

pork002_zps3cdc34c0.jpg

Last edited:
Just thick slices cut off the sirloin end (as opposed to the rib end) of a pork loin. Pork steaks.

Grill 'em like steaks with your favourite pork spice(s). They are naturally lean so cook em to your doneness level like a beef steak (just a bit of pink inside is ok).

sirloin_roast.jpg

A roast cut from the sirloin end of the loin, which is the end closest to the hind leg. It contains part of the backbone and hipbone, which makes it harder to carve.

You've got a bone in the middle of it (usually, can be cut out by butcher/you) whereas loin chops have no bone--they come from the other end of the pic I've included. Loin chops would
come from the "top" of this picture.

Last edited:
Can't buy much for a buck a pound these days, and those look good. Experiment with different marinades and sauces.

I have had excellent results grilling these direct after a generous sprinkling of Montreal Steak Seasoning. If they are quite thick, you may want to do a little indirect grilling along with the direct to bring to your desired "doneness".

After you try direct grilling, you might want to try Cook's Country version of "St. Louis Pork Steaks". These are terrific and normally sliced pork steaks from Boston Butt are used. However, those sirloin chops are also a great candidate for this MOST tasty recipe. Cooks Country has this thread "locked" on the web site to subscribers only. However, if anyone wants to take a look at the recipe, send me a Private Message along with your email address and I will immediately forward the complete recipe to you. Everyone I have served these too gave me a two thumbs up (including the children).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Great deal. Grill them like Len said...

I buy the mystery pork in my store also. They call it pork pieces but it's a variety pack of different cuts.

Thanks guys for all the responses, I'll be trying your ideas shortly and post up the results, thanks again.

I get those a lot, and love em. Not as fatty as a pork steak (fairly lean) so treat them like a chop.
Brine or marinade and do a reverse sear always worked for me.

Tim

CONGRATS RICH!! You have found PORK STEAKS! The Correll/Lampe Holy Grail of perfection! Just follow their lead for barbecuing/smoking/grilling...and that was a heckuva price on those! Go back and get the rest of the packages they have....:D

CONGRATS RICH!! You have found PORK STEAKS! The Correll/Lampe Holy Grail of perfection! Just follow their lead for barbecuing/smoking/grilling...and that was a heckuva price on those! Go back and get the rest of the packages they have....:D
Oops Mike, not pork steaks my friend.
True pork steaks are slices of a pork butt. (note the bone shape on these)
As Len said:
"Just thick slices cut off the sirloin end (as opposed to the rib end) of a pork loin."

Sirloin chops are fairly common here, and less expensive than those from the middle loin area.
They have more connective tissue than loin chops, but otherwise just treat/cook them like a normal chop.

Last edited:
Oops Mike, not pork steaks my friend.
True pork steaks are slices of a pork butt. (note the bone shape on these)
As Len said:
"Just thick slices cut off the sirloin end (as opposed to the rib end) of a pork loin."

Sirloin chops are fairly common here, and less expensive than those from the middle loin area.
They have more connective tissue than loin chops, but otherwise just treat/cook them like a normal chop.

Oops is right Bob...missed the label in the picture! Guess I didn't look close enough at the steaks either. Oh well, getting old has it's issues...:D

franks right, load up chief that's not a deal its a steal. pork is a versatile bbq... quick grill, slow bbq, gas, charcoal, rub, marinade, Asian, Mexican, ... and the list goes on. low and slow. what I mean is looowww and sllloooowww, grab a frosty or two.

as for what you got, all meat labels in the USA must be in this format:
carcass animal (beef, pork, chicken, lamb, etc.) -> yours is pork
primal cut (loin, chuck, round) -> yours is loin
retail cut (steak, chop, ribs) -> yours is a sirloin cut also called by some butchers 'chops' (can be generic these days)

good stuff... want pics... hope this helps chief.

don't lift the lid.

Back