Not seeing to many Genesis 1000 this Year in 2021

Samuel

TVWBB Wizard
I am not seeing to many Genesis 1000 this Year. I have seen some Silver A and Cs but not the 1000. Are these going with the Dinosaur?

That's one of the reasons I got out of the rehab business. I haven't seen a 1000-3000 up here and only a couple in Phoenix which is a 200mi. round trip in the last two years. A few silvers but nothing cheap enough to make a buck or two on them considering all the work involved.

I see plenty of them around me. I think it has to do with different areas of the country. I wish I could find more Silver B/C's. But, it is inevitable that eventually, they will go the route of the Ford LTD.

I am afraid we are probably on the tail end of where you can just pick up a Genesis x000 grill, buy any parts you need and have it back in service. There is a definite drop off of parts availability. At least the grates are interchangeable with the Silvers, but the large drip trays, control panels and other x000 specific parts are no longer readily available. I have a pretty large stockpile for now, but I expect things to get a lot more dicey for fixing up these old gems within a couple more years. There are still x000 Genesis grills being listed in my broad locale. I think that it is a Midwest thing.

Rich,
At least if one does come up in AZ you have good reason to hope it isn't a rust bucket :giggle: . It seems like Mark Siebel is able to find some nice ones in his part of AZ from time to time.

I'm new to this, but I can say that last fall there were plenty of x000s (both durawood and wood) in SF Bay Area (especially South Bay and Wine Country), but so far this spring I've barely seen any. Could just be time of year though.

In New England the pre-2008 stuff is getting scarce.

there are some but the fireboxes are corroding, lids are getting worn, frames need work. Ok for restoration but they are getting to be too much work to flip.

you need 2 or 3 to make one grill

If you are into flipping them, you need to really stock parts for them. Otherwise, Yah, it seems like just about every Silver B or 1000 needs something replaced and buying new is either impossible or just too expensive.

I was just commenting on this earlier. I've started stock piling parts as best I can, trying to build the best out of the best. I'm putting in some shelving above my garage so that I can start to collect dust on some older parts. For now I'm still trying to stick with the Gold/Platinum stuff for back stock.

The x000s are gone. I'm even willing to pay real money for one at this point.
I see a couple of Silver's out there, but not a lot.

Last year I saw a lot of them go unbought. I saved as many as I could, but I think the market is just deal. I'm guessing it might be COVID related:

1) People at home a new grill last year because they were at home more.
2) People are putting off buying a new grill.

I was just commenting on this earlier. I've started stock piling parts as best I can, trying to build the best out of the best. I'm putting in some shelving above my garage so that I can start to collect dust on some older parts. For now I'm still trying to stick with the Gold/Platinum stuff for back stock.

The x000s are gone. I'm even willing to pay real money for one at this point.
I see a couple of Silver's out there, but not a lot.

Last year I saw a lot of them go unbought. I saved as many as I could, but I think the market is just deal. I'm guessing it might be COVID related:

1) People at home a new grill last year because they were at home more.
2) People are putting off buying a new grill.
No parties either, A lot of grills get sold when people have graduation, Memorial Day, 4th of July.

It’s a sad situation that the x000 and certainly the 1-5 Genesis grills are fading away. I still see a few in the 100 mile radius around me, but not so common anymore. The 300 series grills are now what are advertised all over. These are easier to sell for a solid price because they look “big” and modern - not hugely different than the Genesis II line currently for sale at pretty high prices. The problem we all know is economically dealing with cabinetry rust.

When I did my very first amateurish restorations (pre-TVWBB) maybe 8 year’s ago, parts for early Genesis grills were readily available and there were more used ones up for sale. Does this mean that old ones really nicely restored will be worth more? I hope so😎!

Def more scarce here in CT. Im sure they are out there but people are not listing them, likley just throwing them out would be my guess. Im glad I got a a bunch of spare parts for my two x000 grills. Time will only make it more difficult to obtain the harder parts.

Still very few x000 grills showing up in Bay Area this year. Plenty of of Silvers.

I also recently acquired a 2002 Land Rover Discovery 2. Same issue there. The 90s Discovery 1s are disappearing, and prices are escalating all around.

90s nostalgia is hot right now.

I spoke to soon someone just posted this for FREE! 7 minutes ago. I replied but have not got a response.

Edit: Got it! She is Mine!

Red Gen 1000.jpg

Last edited:
They're still out there. Picked up this 1999 Genesis 1000 LX for free on CL (it had been on there for several days but less competition around here, I guess.) The original owner still had the receipt (only $480 plus tax new!) and manual. Got it home on top of my Subaru...definitely heavier than I thought it might be!

Did a thorough but basic cleanup and tried to buff out the discoloration on the hood but seems to be faded from too much sun exposure. Can that be repainted or should I leave it as is?

Only have had to replace the tubes as the grates and 13 flavorizers still have life in them. Also changed out the regulator since it had the original quick connect with the reverse threads. Aside from that it cooks fantastic!

Have also seen what looks like an early 2000's Genesis (whatever version was released after the one I picked up with the plastic shelves) for free along with another 90's Genesis (was too late to get it) and an even newer Spirit on the curb.

Attachments

• IMG_3088.jpeg
    IMG_3088.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3079.jpeg
    IMG_3079.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3080-1.jpeg
    IMG_3080-1.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Back