Not looking good for Weber at my Lowe’s store

Absolutely and I see no reason to "justify" this type of thing. Sorry, if you want to charge premium pricing for a product (I don't care what the product is) then deliver a premium product. End of story. I don't mind buying a "budget" product if was MY choice to do so. IOW if I go into a Kia dealer I am not going to expect a Lexus or Toyota. I know what I am buying. But if I walk into a Lexus shop and end up seeing Kia quality definitely NOT a happy camper. In essence this is what has been happening. Sorry for the car analogy or if you disagree with my interpretation.
KIA and Weber side by side… lol

Attachments

• 5BE10739-CED5-4C03-888B-DFDD61EEB374.jpeg
    5BE10739-CED5-4C03-888B-DFDD61EEB374.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 18
Have not been in that part of the store for a while, maybe that’s a good thing. I have more stuff than I need! I think it’s time to cull the herd a little, the Simpson’s Smokey Joe, parts may go in a box and put in the back of the car when I go to Milwaukee next and give them to Bruce (if he can use them) or they will head to the knackers.
But, I’m getting ahead of myself, it’s way too cold to even think about that project yet!

Absolutely and I see no reason to "justify" this type of thing. Sorry, if you want to charge premium pricing for a product (I don't care what the product is) then deliver a premium product. End of story. I don't mind buying a "budget" product if was MY choice to do so. IOW if I go into a Kia dealer I am not going to expect a Lexus or Toyota. I know what I am buying. But if I walk into a Lexus shop and end up seeing Kia quality definitely NOT a happy camper. In essence this is what has been happening. Sorry for the car analogy or if you disagree with my interpretation.
Not sure I would dis Kia quality wise so much my brother leases them all the time and he has had no issues with any of them yes they had some models recalled with some engine problems but they are doing the right thing. Actually looking at a Telluride end of year feel pretty good about a 5 year warranty and 10 year power train on top of the ratings for a large SUV they are in the top 3 for a lot less than a Pilot or Highlander. I am a Honda guy but like Toyota which I love also the price of their SUV's are off the planet with a mediocre interior IMO to boot.

If Weber was to deliver a premium product and I am not saying they don't bring it back to the US for production what will they need to charge for that its alot more than they are charging now and sorry not trying to offend anyone but how many consumers will pay the price that is the balancing act buy a MAK you are going to pay up big time double the price of a EX6 so that is a niche market. Weber is not a niche market yes some product lines are but not all.

Weber isn’t the only manufacturer that uses less costly materials and charges more. It’s business, EVERY business does the exact same thing. I chuckle when Weber is bashed on here for making smart business decisions. Craziness.
I don't think destroying one's hard won reputation is a smart business decision. In fact, I'd call that craziness. I don't think the primary problem is that young people don't appreciate quality. They would if anyone marketed it in a credible way. The problem, rather, is that publicly traded companies are too heavily influenced by stock price, which means placing short term profits over long-term corporate health. The CEO and others at the top get big bonuses and leave the mess for someone else. We've seen this again and again.

I live in the Puget Sound region and, years ago, worked for Boeing. It was never a perfect company. When I was there in the early 90s, there were things to question and plenty of reasons to make fun of management's stupidity. But they did one thing right, which was that on the production line they always prioritized quality. It was a company that placed engineers in the top management slots and it showed.

After the merger with McDonnell Douglas, which was all but in bankruptcy at the time the companies came together, for some reason they took MD's management philosophy and placed their people at the highers echelons of management. The result was soaring profits for a while and super high stock prices, as they focused on cutting costs and getting as many planes out the door as fast as possible. But longer terms, it was clear to those of us in Seattle that their chickens would come home to roost. When there were quality issues with newer planes, and then when the 737 Max began falling out of the sky and Boeing was falling over themselves to blame the pilots, foreign airlines, anyone but themselves, it was obvious they were trying to keep the stock pumped long enough for those in the know to sell.

In my opinion, unless Boeing really turns things around, the creaming they've taken from Airbus over the past couple of decades is just the tip of the iceberg. Wouldn't be surprised if the entire company went the way of Lockheed, McDonnell-Douglas and so many others. Maybe the Japanese will start building airliners and give Airbus a run for their money. Publicly traded American companies don't seem to be able to delay gratification long enough to preserve, let alone build, a reputation anymore.

Not sure I would dis Kia quality wise
Not "dissing" them. They sell a decent product at a low cost but it's not a Lexus. I was simply trying to point out, they're (Weber) is trying to sell Kia quality at Lexus prices. Everything has it's place. I just don't like when a company relies on it's "name" but gives the customer less who actually trusted that name to be "more"

Not "dissing" them. They sell a decent product at a low cost but it's not a Lexus. I was simply trying to point out, they're (Weber) is trying to sell Kia quality at Lexus prices. Everything has it's place. I just don't like when a company relies on it's "name" but gives the customer less who actually trusted that name to be "more"
Larry I agree with you everything has its place sorry for infering that you were dissing KIA and I don't own one by the way but maybe end of year. I certainly don't expect it to be a Lexus nor as you stated to be anywhere near the price of a Lexus either.

I rented a KIA for a trip to Corpus Christy, Tx and back. Total 3500 miles in 7 days. When I got back third gear was gone. Yah, I drove it hard like any rental, but I would not say I beat it up. I told Enterprise Rentals when I got back. They just said, OK, we will check it out. I am glad I chose the rental for $300 instead of driving my own vehicle.

Competition drives innovation, right?. If Weber hadn't had to compete for space at the major retailers, they potentially might have chosen to rest on their laurels and simply continue producing their successful Genesis line circa 2000. Think of the array of improved knob designs, thermometer styles, burner orientations, grate sizes, lid shapes, and wheels that we might have missed if it wasn't for the likes of Nexgrill and Dyna-Glow breathing down their necks.

I also think Weber plays a game of mutually assured destruction with Home Depot and Lowes. These stores need the biggest names in Home Depot grade stuff to stay attractive to consumers. If either Home Depot or Lowes gets mad and throws Weber out, they essentially give the entire line to their competition, for free.

Yeah, comparing these grills to automobiles is just an apples and oranges situation.
I don't think destroying one's hard won reputation is a smart business decision. In fact, I'd call that craziness. I don't think the primary problem is that young people don't appreciate quality. They would if anyone marketed it in a credible way. The problem, rather, is that publicly traded companies are too heavily influenced by stock price, which means placing short term profits over long-term corporate health. The CEO and others at the top get big bonuses and leave the mess for someone else. We've seen this again and again.

I live in the Puget Sound region and, years ago, worked for Boeing. It was never a perfect company. When I was there in the early 90s, there were things to question and plenty of reasons to make fun of management's stupidity. But they did one thing right, which was that on the production line they always prioritized quality. It was a company that placed engineers in the top management slots and it showed.

After the merger with McDonnell Douglas, which was all but in bankruptcy at the time the companies came together, for some reason they took MD's management philosophy and placed their people at the highers echelons of management. The result was soaring profits for a while and super high stock prices, as they focused on cutting costs and getting as many planes out the door as fast as possible. But longer terms, it was clear to those of us in Seattle that their chickens would come home to roost. When there were quality issues with newer planes, and then when the 737 Max began falling out of the sky and Boeing was falling over themselves to blame the pilots, foreign airlines, anyone but themselves, it was obvious they were trying to keep the stock pumped long enough for those in the know to sell.

In my opinion, unless Boeing really turns things around, the creaming they've taken from Airbus over the past couple of decades is just the tip of the iceberg. Wouldn't be surprised if the entire company went the way of Lockheed, McDonnell-Douglas and so many others. Maybe the Japanese will start building airliners and give Airbus a run for their money. Publicly traded American companies don't seem to be able to delay gratification long enough to preserve, let alone build, a reputation anymore.
Boeing, despite their many faults, isn't going anywhere. One of the main reasons why American carriers buy any Airbus planes to begin with is to preserve their European routes, not because of concerns over Boeing's quality. Other countries do a much better job at protecting their industry than we do. While I agree with your point on corporate greed, no other countries are capable of building better aircraft than we are.

Boeing, despite their many faults, isn't going anywhere. One of the main reasons why American carriers buy any Airbus planes to begin with is to preserve their European routes, not because of concerns over Boeing's quality. Other countries do a much better job at protecting their industry than we do. While I agree with your point on corporate greed, no other countries are capable of building better aircraft than we are.
At one time I would have agreed with you, Steve. At this point, unless Boeing seriously reforms, I doubt they'll be around in 10 years.

At one time I would have agreed with you, Steve. At this point, unless Boeing seriously reforms, I doubt they'll be around in 10 years.
That's a pretty apocalyptic view of an enormous company. Even as jaded as I can be, I can't see that happening. I hope we both live long enough to see.

Competition drives innovation, right?. If Weber hadn't had to compete for space at the major retailers, they potentially might have chosen to rest on their laurels and simply continue producing their successful Genesis line circa 2000. Think of the array of improved knob designs, thermometer styles, burner orientations, grate sizes, lid shapes, and wheels that we might have missed if it wasn't for the likes of Nexgrill and Dyna-Glow breathing down their necks.

I also think Weber plays a game of mutually assured destruction with Home Depot and Lowes. These stores need the biggest names in Home Depot grade stuff to stay attractive to consumers. If either Home Depot or Lowes gets mad and throws Weber out, they essentially give the entire line to their competition, for free.
Define " Home Depot grade stuff."

Unfortunately Chris, most of the world tends to focus on the wrong thing and as such often choose efficiency over effectiveness.

Efficiency is trying to be perfect with the least amount of input, while efectivenea s means to achieve perfect things.

Instead of learning or developing a skill over time, most people these days want to press a button and have it done for them. Me, I like knowing I can build a fire and cook a chunk of meat over it on a stick if I have to. Just different mindsets, and the sad obsession with technology our society has. Fortunately there are some like you and others here who are trying to keep some "old fashioned" know how alive, and have a way to pass it on to those younger who suddenly wake up one day to find pushing a button isn't as fun as it used to be.
Just doing some thinking that my Weber Performer Deluxe that I bought new a couple of years ago will be functioning A-OK with the exception of the propane gas assist in the year 2032. Also, my WSM "Classic" that I bought new in the year 2008 should be also functioning A-OK. Good "Basic" BBQ Equipment should outlast the more sophisticated and complex type.

As to myself as being A-OK in the year 2032 is the big question mark;)

Last edited:
Define " Home Depot grade stuff."
They don't always succeed, but Home Depot/Lowes (and every successful store) certainly targets a certain market with certain products. Home Depot wants the biggest brand names in solid, middle class homeowner stuff. They stay a step in price and quality above Walmart/Harbor Freight and a step below the top. Picking up the Craftsman brand after Sears faded away was a big score at Lowes.

If you have a slightly older house with a deck, a garage, a driveway, and a lawn you cut yourself, congratulations - you are Home Depot's target demographic. If you live in an apartment while you save up for a house, you might think Home Depot is a little pricey. Likewise, if you custom ordered your hand-carved bathroom sinks from Switzerland, you probably won't want Home Depot faucets on them.

Of course we are talking about customers that go in the door by the grills. There is another door down by the lumber, but those products are not as relevant to this forum.

I don’t care for the big box home improvement stores, I go to ACE almost all the time. ACE has all my charcoal and Weber needs. When I ask for something they don’t stock, they have it in under a weeks time. I really don’t care that Weber is not a big presence in the big box stores-hope they get away from those stores anyway. You don’t see KJ or BGE in those types of stores. Just like Stihl chain saws. Local, better dedicated and knowledgeable staff in ACE, etc.

Closest ACE to me is about 30 miles. I have a HD about 7 miles and a Menards about 15. I should stop in once in a while on my way past the ACE stores. I haven't been in one for a few years.

I don’t care for the big box home improvement stores, I go to ACE almost all the time. ACE has all my charcoal and Weber needs. When I ask for something they don’t stock, they have it in under a weeks time. I really don’t care that Weber is not a big presence in the big box stores-hope they get away from those stores anyway. You don’t see KJ or BGE in those types of stores. Just like Stihl chain saws. Local, better dedicated and knowledgeable staff in ACE, etc.
I agree for the most part. However, for project materials and lumber, fencing, storm doors, etc... Home Depot and Lowe's are often the only game in town.

They don't always succeed, but Home Depot/Lowes (and every successful store) certainly targets a certain market with certain products. Home Depot wants the biggest brand names in solid, middle class homeowner stuff. They stay a step in price and quality above Walmart/Harbor Freight and a step below the top. Picking up the Craftsman brand after Sears faded away was a big score at Lowes.

If you have a slightly older house with a deck, a garage, a driveway, and a lawn you cut yourself, congratulations - you are Home Depot's target demographic. If you live in an apartment while you save up for a house, you might think Home Depot is a little pricey. Likewise, if you custom ordered your hand-carved bathroom sinks from Switzerland, you probably won't want Home Depot faucets on them.

Of course we are talking about customers that go in the door by the grills. There is another door down by the lumber, but those products are not as relevant to this forum.
I worked in retail long enough to understand target markets, destination retail, specialty retail, etc...
But how is the "grade" of products at Home Depot different than the same products sold elsewhere? There may be different model numbers for very similar brand items, like Weber grills, but that is strictly to avoid price matching. The grade or quality of the product does not differ. Maybe a different accessory or a slight cosmetic difference i.e. color,etc...
A Moen or Delta faucet from Home Depot is identical to the same model sold at Ace or True Value.

Back