Not Again!

Keep waiting for one of those to pop up local to me.

Would definitely be worth some planebuyer FB's and grates.

If you can, go get it! I have the one with the side burner and it's my go to grill. The stainless frame on that grill is built to last. Interested to see though on what the inside of thecabinet looks like as those tend to rust pretty bad due to the cheap material Weber used.

Wow, guys! First, I am actually a little surprised that this style of Platinum has as much appeal as it seems. I personally really like them and have a similar non-side burner LP one in my assembly line. I think the monochromatic look with the gray and stainless is pretty cool. Another neat contrast to the redheads - along with Skylines, of course! The 304 stainless frame was a two-year only appearance and makes these pretty special. Unfortunately, the bottom, back and sides of the cabinet are painted steel and the bottom especially is subject to rust out. I am pretty much planning on making mine either an open cart or a "faux" cabinet with slats on the bottom. I think Weber actually did this on the first Summit.

I am happy for you guys whose spouses actually help and enjoy this grill hobby. Yesterday my 89 year old mother in law had a little fall and my wife decided to take her in to be sure she didn’t break something. She didn’t even ask me to go with her since I was swamped slaving over last minute tax returns. She and my son we’re getting ready to take her when my wife snarkily said, “I really resent your spending hours chasing down grill parts and now you don’t have time to go with me:mad:.” Needless to say I left the tax returns and went myself.

I can’t imagine how nice it would be to have a wife who not only didn’t disdain my hobby but actually encouraged me.

Got to finish my last returns (including my own:rolleyes:) by midnight tomorrow!

Last edited:
Wow that's a little harsh if you're slaving over tax returns. Certainly doesn't sound to me like you were having fun.

Wow that's a little harsh if you're slaving over tax returns. Certainly doesn't sound to me like you were having fun.

I suppose my wife's contention is that if I had worked harder this summer on taxes and passed on a few Saturday grill trips and/or restoration work that then I wouldn't be working up to the last minute.:p

This is probably true, but working full-time PLUS doing taxes (and working as consultant for another company) plus changing tax software can tend to get a person down... When April deadline finally passed, there was nothing left. I was totally fed up and needed a long break.

Hopefully tax season 2019 will go better. Meanwhile, while you upper Mid-Westerners are going into hibernation I down under will be coming out of my hole at long last. I will have to do more honeydo's for sure, but I am going to finally start working through the huge inventory of projects I have over-accumulated. I might even finish my Skyline - last to the parade on that, too...

34q9vn9.jpg

24b0s5i.jpg

1z4isli.jpg

2q3drwo.jpg

AND, LAST BUT NOT LEAST:

8VKj7xD.jpg

Last edited:
Jon, I have prepared much better for this winter than I did last. I think you remember pictures of my 9 genesis grills (rehab candidates) in addition to a couple Q grills in my garage and driveway when my season ended last fall. This year, I am down to 4 in the driveway, my personal Genny 1000 and Skyline in the garage and a couple of Q200's. I will be moving the 5 Genesis grills to the back yard for the winter and I am getting ready to clean up my grill rehab operation and straighten up the garage. If the weather permits, I should get it done this week. It has already snowed here.

Bruce,
It is just so hard to imagine snow already. No real break in summer weather yet down here. I am listening to Gordon Lightfoot "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and he just mentioned the November storms...

I hope you get battened down and can at least do a little winter grilling. Maybe someone will be in the Christmas mood on that beautiful Skyline.

I will try to keep you enthused for next spring with hopefully a few turnarounds at long last. Fortunately(?) there hasn't been much interesting for sale to pile on top of what I already have. Obviously, now is the time for me to SELL, but I do still keep my eyes open for any unbelievable deals close at hand.

Enjoy some football and fall weather. My wife - whom I sometimes call my Siberian sleigh girl - would be jealous of your cold weather;)!

Yup used to live in the Northeast hard to imagine snow down here period but we do get some once and awhile. Last year we got 7" which lasted a day or so that was a big deal since 96 not seen anything like that. But 2 days later it was 72 if I remember, like Jon this is a good time of year to work on the grills its mid 70's. On vacation in Hilton Head Island back on Thursday probably start pulling apart the Silver C this weekend.

That is first on the list then on to the redhead 1100.

Oh, yah, I will be doing a lot of grilling this winter. I have a Q200 on the back deck and I can pull my 1000 out of the garage any time I want. In fact, it will be doing my Thanksgiving Turkey and Christmas Ham again this year with lots of cooks, before, between and after. I am doing a double 7 lb chicken roto on Wednesday I will have to work it in between my garage work and other end of season chores though.

I'm amazed at the number of grills some of you guys have awaiting rehab. Up here in Kentucky they are little tough to come by. When they show up and have a reasonable price I try and grab them. Lately I have seen 2 burners with asking prices at$80.00 and up.

Bobby

It was 95 three weeks ago and we have snow forecasted for tonight with lows around 30.
I have the herd settled in for the winter I moved the performer to the covered patio along with the E320. So I have gas and charcoal in the sheltered patio.
I don't do a whole lot of grilling in the winter because of my meds if I get chilled it takes me hours to warm up again.
If you are wondering why the bricks around the wheels of the platypus its because our now one year old lab took a liking to them and started chewing on one.

45347980851_e214b83ac8_z.jpg
[/url]100_4015 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

44624825464_62b2b6eefd_z.jpg
[/url]100_4014 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

45347979741_8607a7887d_z.jpg
[/url]100_4016 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
I'm amazed at the number of grills some of you guys have awaiting rehab. Up here in Kentucky they are little tough to come by. When they show up and have a reasonable price I try and grab them. Lately I have seen 2 burners with asking prices at$80.00 and up.

Bobby

I have passed up on quite a few sub $50 Silver B's and 1000 grills this summer. However, most of my grills require a 50 mile drive since I am rural and most of my grills pop up on a larger town about 50 miles away. I have even neglected to try for "free" grills as I cant work them this year and don't want to store them. I watch the Minneapolis and Chicago areas on CL from time to time, and there are lots of sub $50 grills popping up in those areas. Too far for me to drive though, except for my Skyline which was up by Minneapolis. About 200 miles. It seems like I am in a pretty good area of the country for finding good prices on old Webers.

I have passed up on quite a few sub $50 Silver B's and 1000 grills this summer. However, most of my grills require a 50 mile drive since I am rural and most of my grills pop up on a larger town about 50 miles away. I have even neglected to try for "free" grills as I cant work them this year and don't want to store them. I watch the Minneapolis and Chicago areas on CL from time to time, and there are lots of sub $50 grills popping up in those areas. Too far for me to drive though, except for my Skyline which was up by Minneapolis. About 200 miles. It seems like I am in a pretty good area of the country for finding good prices on old Webers.
Yep I may have to do some driving to get some I want. I see some good ones around Cincinnati and Columbus between 3 to 4 hours away.

If you do that, try to make it a multi grill trip and pick up two or three at the same time.

I also try to look for grills in areas that I happen to be traveling to.

I think I’m done buying anything this year, there’s a guy with a two burner NG Skyline who has dropped from $125 to $80 but, it needs a lot of work, I’m not set up for doing that kind of thing in the winter and, I really don’t have room to store it until spring. There is also a tan hood that’s dropped too but the same hurdles are in the way! Besides, I don’t have a truck to get that home! Some decisions are simply made for us!

Last edited:
Timothy, I would keep an eye on the skyline for a while. If it drops far enough, you might want to simply grab the hood and condiment basket off the thing. The rest of the grill, even if it is trashed, can be easily replaced with a donor grill. Those Skyline hoods are hard to find though. But, I would let the guy sit on it for a while and then offer up a much lower price. If he has been sitting on it for a while, he might want to just get rid of it pretty soon.

Back