Not A Weber, But Cool!

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
When I made my pizza oven, I had no clue what I was doing, and didn’t insulate it. It leaks and loses heat and generally is a pain to use, which is why we don’t use it any more.
Pammi saw this on Facebook, and we decided to buy it for each other for Valentines Day.
28674B39-CAFD-49E3-8A9E-65CB4A3C3A6B.jpeg05959795-9179-4F6B-B0B3-5DEB7F5F38E0.jpegE5D789F5-5603-495D-A76B-6086FB3B9460.jpeg
It’s charcoal and wood fired. There’s a propane attachment you can get for it, but didn’t want to spend the extra $100!
I fired it up using a Weber cube and some KBB. It doesn’t take much at all.
After the coals were ashes over, I added some cherry wood I had to bring it up to temp. Turns out I should have added more coals and let it heat up more. B67B8D1A-D8AB-4817-A203-CB78FBB2C1A9.jpeg534E5EE2-10D4-4E00-BA03-76E656F10FBF.jpeg
You’ve got to turn the pizza every 30 seconds or so so it cooks evenly. Like I said, I didn’t let it preheat enough, so we put it on the grill to finish. F6433104-928C-402A-92C6-1A2B6A39CFD4.jpeg104D0668-4C4B-41C0-B304-EF8F5945D3E0.jpeg
It turned out quite tasty!
And it’s small enough that we can take it camping or to our family reunions!
Thanks for looking!!

Looks great. I saw something similar, I think it is a ooni or something. How would this be better than a pizza stone on a kettle or gasser for example? I have not done either yet though but saw some vids.
Joe

Looks great. I saw something similar, I think it is a ooni or something. How would this be better than a pizza stone on a kettle or gasser for example? I have not done either yet though but saw some vids.
Joe
It's called a Bertello, available on Amazon using the link on this fine forum!
We've done the stone on a kettle before. This had a more pronounced smoky flavor(duh!).
Next time, I'm adding more coals after the first batch ashes over and seeing if that helps it heat up more.

Phil, that looks really sweet. I don't know the brand...what would you guess the max circumference would be for a large pizza? That pizza looks outstanding. If I remember, you head out to Maine for reunions...that will be a fantastic tag-along to bring!

Phil, that looks really sweet. I don't know the brand...what would you guess the max circumference would be for a large pizza? That pizza looks outstanding. If I remember, you head out to Maine for reunions...that will be a fantastic tag-along to bring!
12” would be as big as you could go with this one.
This brand got its start on the Shark Tank TV show.
Now, I’ve only cooked on it once and watched 2 or 3 videos on YouTube about it, but the worst thing about this so far is the lack of instructions on using it!
It shows you the minimal assembly and how to fire it up and that’s it.
No recipes or cooking instructions.
But I’m I fairly smart guy and will get it figured out.

Very cool, Phil! I've been drooling over the Ooni for some time now. Will definitely check this out. That pizza looks great. Never would've guessed it was your first time using the oven.

Back