Not a good first time

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I did a pizza this Sunday with not researching on how to do it. The only thing I did was follow someone's advice and putting the heat at grate level....

It's all good but I will get better with practice.

Here's a few pics of what happened.

My daughter helped me

Here it is not the prettiest but it was good.

Thanks for looking
Tony and Maribel

Last edited:
Only thing missing from that pizza is Italian Sausage. Swap it out for that pepperoni and it will be perfect!

Looks great for the 1st time. How did the bottom of the crust look since your heat was at grate level? I just ordered one off Groupon so I'll be testing it out as well. I have an idea how I want to set it up for my first Kettle Pizza cook.:cool:

Looks great for the 1st time. How did the bottom of the crust look since your heat was at grate level? I just ordered one off Groupon so I'll be testing it out as well. I have an idea how I want to set it up for my first Kettle Pizza cook.:cool:

The crust was ok. The first pizza not pictured was still raw.

You know Tony getting that wood fired look and taste of the big wood burning pizza ovens on a kettle has been know to drive men to drink, which in itself is not a bad thing.
You see so many posts of "I'm almost there" "the next one will be it" Etc.
I got to the point with pizzas we're just happy that our homemade pizzas are just so much better than anything we can get from any pizza joint, not perfect but really good.

Just keep tinkering it will happen.

I love making chili and drive myself nuts trying to make the perfect bowl of red, But there is no perfect bowl of red, never will be. But it gives me another excuse to have another beer or two.

Get where I'm going here, never give up my friend that perfect pie is right around the corner:) Now where the hell did I put my beer.

Looks good from here! Keep at it. I've had my pizza oven for about 3 years now,and am still trying to get it dialed in. But one of these days! :cool:

Looks good to me Tony. Some wise person once said: "It's not the destination that gives you satisfaction, it's the journey" :).

The crust was ok. The first pizza not pictured was still raw.

Everybody gets so excited about 700-800 temps and 3 minute cook times... I had a few crusts end up black until I toned it down a little closer to the oven and found a setup that worked for me.

I'm no aficionado but I'm also not that picky :p

Everybody gets so excited about 700-800 temps and 3 minute cook times... I had a few crusts end up black until I toned it down a little closer to the oven and found a setup that worked for me.

I'm no aficionado but I'm also not that picky :p

So a 550-600 would be better then?

My setup is much simpler... I set my fire as normal on the kettle, sit the fire ring from my 18.5" WSM on the cooking grate, put the stone on that, then instead of the pizza kettle thing I just have the rotisserie ring, and then the lid. I probably shoot for as hot as the kettle will go with that setup.... different than yours though... Keep posting results - you'll get some good help plus what you figure out by experimenting.

10633283_10202989646444031_6222837036761706082_o.jpg

this is just a papa murphys - the last homemade pies I made were directly on the grate or in CI skillets.

I would have are it all up Tony...looks good to me!! I have only tried methods similar to cliff's set up...maybe one day I will pick one of those rigs up...I'm working for a rotisserie set up first!! Keep trying buddy!!

If it was me i just wouldn't of posted it!
Jk! Pizza is a tricky thing. I've done a few on my performer, and each time I'm wondering if I'm going to do it right.

Looks good to me!!! Practice makes perfect and I'm sure your kids won't mind eating pizza all the time!

Tony's worst cooks make my best cooks look like they need work, LOL
That looks like good pie to me Tony

Back