Nor Cal atmospheric river

1673124399818.png
1673124717035.png

Most weather services say that, on average, the amount of snow is 10 times the rainfall volume, that is, 1 inch of rain is equivalent to 10 inches of snowfall.

Last edited:
Most weather services say that, on average, the amount of snow is 10 times the rainfall volume, that is, 1 inch of rain is equivalent to 10 inches of snowfall.
Yeah, on average that's probably right, but I think wet Sierra snow when it's warm is more like 7 or 8 to 1, and when it rains on already fallen snow it packs it even more.

I'd rather a few storms with 4000 ft snow level than the warmer ones, but either is better than no rain.

Anyway, wind picked up again, and the grills are huddled together for the night. I got a quick cook in on the E6 before it got really windy.

20230107_205630.jpg

I might be cooking breakfast on the E6. Wind took out power, again.
My house was shaking, literally, during the winds over the past two hours. It woke me up and I thought the end was here. Never experienced that feeling before.

That shaking is very “unnerving” to say the very least, put a -40 degree wind chill in with it and one really sees how insignificant man is in the greater scheme of things!
Yeah, the harmonic vibration was unnerving. Very different than the earth rolling I’ve experienced in my lifetime.

That shaking is very “unnerving” to say the very least, put a -40 degree wind chill in with it and one really sees how insignificant man is in the greater scheme of things!
I'll say. Once you get to experience a strong polar vortex oooof THAT's cccccooooooollllllld!

I righted the E6. No issues.

I texted my son to help me right the 670. That one weighs a ton.

These two were interlocked with each other and against the house. They were literally blown off the patio.

Local weather station recorded 52 mph gusts but the backyard is a due south exposure and has clocked 75 mph winds due to a tunnel effect that runs south to north and the wind bursts open in my neighbors and my yards as we’re the outlet from that tunnel.

Last edited:
Thats hurricane force winds! Battlefield damage assessment indeed! Good thing you didn't lose that beautiful fence.
All the fences are new and we installed steel posts, 2’ below grade in concrete. The spec was beefed up due to the know wind issues of this property.

Someone else posted of the Ring app asking if there was an earthquake at 0200 which is when my house was shaking.

I had a sip of wine with dinner so I can’t say it was the tequila that made me feel it.

I hope to have the 670 upright in a few hours when my son comes over to help. That grill is so dang top heavy.

I have an idea for next time!

proxy-image

Back