Nor Cal atmospheric river

I’m curious how the Bay Area fared last night. Hopefully someone will post an update.

Next few days are lighter rains.

But Monday is a whopper per the forecast.

1672935287865.jpg

2.29” rain for Monday alone. Geez!

1672935340139.jpg

Really quiet down here the last 24 hrs. Very little wind and only 0.54 of that wet stuff since 7am yesterday.

Last edited:
Flood isn't a risk for me. I think Brett's on high enough ground he should be OK.

We've had a couple of power outages in the last week or so. Short duration, and the one affecting me was isolated to a few thousand customers according to PGE ( power company) alerts. If it is a larger scale or longer duration outage I have a small generator that will more than power a fridge and a freezer. Given the cooler weather I expect a couple hours once or twice a day will keep the food frozen solid, but we'll see.

I'm moving my higher value food to the chest freezer, and setting the temp down a notch to super cool it.
I have the same thing here a 4200 watt propane/gas generator that will power my two refers and freezer with ease and with it being in the 30s in the garage those two won't need a lot of run time.

For me, it’s all about the essentials.

Gas furnace with an electric circulating motor- essential when it’s cold out.

Sump pump- essential. We live in an area with a high water table and have a french drain that needs to keep operating during heavy rain.

Internet, phone, tv and cable box, being able to recharge devices, not really essential but close.

Refrigerator and freezer - not essential but keeping food spoiling is nice.

Anything more than that is extravagant imo.

One thing about losing power is it gets really dark at night. And quiet.

Basically all you hear are generators humming along.

The family down the street with the whole house generator- with all the lights on during power outages- conspicuous consumption - literally. Not my style.
With son in law the gen was there. But also due to the type of home they have that huge generator is practically an essential. So I really don't look at it as "conspicuous consumption". It's needed to keep sewage and ground water from backing into their house. It may be slightly larger than needed but the person who had the house had "connections" and was able to get the unit very reasonably. It's also very quiet.

My mom has a 22Kw auto standby generator, with phone and computer having a battery backed UPS. It's essential for her at her age. She doesn't even notice the power going on and off which happens a bit.

Sisters house has a manual transfer switch and a remote control electric start 8kw to run their well pump and other appliances.

I am all manual with extension cords. My power is usually the most reliable so I didn't over invest.

Essential means different things to different people with different needs.

There's always cattails and wild hickory nuts!

That belongs in, "You might be getting old if-----" :)
My mom has a 22Kw auto standby generator, with phone and computer having a battery backed UPS. It's essential for her at her age. She doesn't even notice the power going on and off which happens a bit.

Sisters house has a manual transfer switch and a remote control electric start 8kw to run their well pump and other appliances.

I am all manual with extension cords. My power is usually the most reliable so I didn't over invest.

Essential means different things to different people with different needs.
After living in California's hydro-electric country (Calaveras County) for 18+ years, and having more outages than one can imagine, we're amazed at how few outages we have here. Most are for less than an hour and we've never had any more than 4 or 5 hours in the last 20+ years. The Reno area, only an hour away, has been plagued with outages that have lasted for days. Nice to be in a better place than many others :)

You Left Coast guys make it through the night?
Yesterday’s total rainfall by me was 1.27”. Flood watch is now extended through 1-11-23.

Today is the dry day. Monday is doomsday with 2.25+” rain forecast for 24 hours.

It’s going to get more severe here before it calms down. The drought might be over though 😆😆😆

Yesterday’s total rainfall by me was 1.27”. Flood watch is now extended through 1-11-23.

Today is the dry day. Monday is doomsday with 2.25+” rain forecast for 24 hours.

It’s going to get more severe here before it calms down. The drought might be over though 😆😆😆
Glad to hear it’s settled down a bit.

Once these storms pass through, hopefully back to normal for a while.

And the west needs the rain for sure.

Cheers!

CA is a huge state and lots of areas are affected. Here's my little corner of the world and it includes a few on the board that live close to me.

When some people hear "2 inches of rain" it doesn't sound that bad. The rest of the story is the storms have to lift up over the 7,000 ft elevation Sierra Nevada range, and 2 inches of rain in the valley turns into 4 or 6 inches a few miles to the east, and then all that rain rolls back down the west slope of the Sierra into one of a dozen or so watersheds. The watershed I live in is the American River. According to this map I copied, it has 1900 square miles.
Folsom Lake has about 1 million acre feet of storage and cannot hold multiple storms of rain. All it can do is throttle the water going downstream into the lower American which flows through the state capital. I recall the capacity of the lower American is somewhere around 135,000 to 140,000 CFS. I haven't done the math but with everything to the east of Folsom lake is saturated, so during the storm there is a likelihood of some flooding, but a day or two after the storm is when we might see the most flooding as there is a potential for more water coming into Folsom than Folsom can "throttle".

As far as drought, yeah this helps. Rain at 5000 feet today is likely in the ocean within a week or so as there is no where to store it. Snow is what we really need in this watershed, and then as it melts during spring and summer we have a slow and continuous supply of water.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJpbXBhY3QtcHJvZHVjdGlvbiIsImtleSI6Il9vcmlnaW5hbHMvOGViMGJjY2YtZjAyNC00NjFhLThlNmUtZWJkMjE5MGE1ZmNmL2FtZXJpY2FuLXJpdmVyLXdhdGVyc2hlZC5wbmciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjY0MH0sInBuZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo4MCwiYWRhcHRpdmVGaWx0ZXJpbmciOnRydWV9fX0=

We've been hoping that you folks in Northern California are making it through all this okay. Down the I-80 road here in the Salt Lake City area we have been getting the leftovers. Our mountains are sure loving it.

Be safe. Drink the cheap stuff in the pantry first.

CA is a huge state and lots of areas are affected. Here's my little corner of the world and it includes a few on the board that live close to me.

When some people hear "2 inches of rain" it doesn't sound that bad. The rest of the story is the storms have to lift up over the 7,000 ft elevation Sierra Nevada range, and 2 inches of rain in the valley turns into 4 or 6 inches a few miles to the east, and then all that rain rolls back down the west slope of the Sierra into one of a dozen or so watersheds. The watershed I live in is the American River. According to this map I copied, it has 1900 square miles.
Folsom Lake has about 1 million acre feet of storage and cannot hold multiple storms of rain. All it can do is throttle the water going downstream into the lower American which flows through the state capital. I recall the capacity of the lower American is somewhere around 135,000 to 140,000 CFS. I haven't done the math but with everything to the east of Folsom lake is saturated, so during the storm there is a likelihood of some flooding, but a day or two after the storm is when we might see the most flooding as there is a potential for more water coming into Folsom than Folsom can "throttle".

As far as drought, yeah this helps. Rain at 5000 feet today is likely in the ocean within a week or so as there is no where to store it. Snow is what we really need in this watershed, and then as it melts during spring and summer we have a slow and continuous supply of water.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJpbXBhY3QtcHJvZHVjdGlvbiIsImtleSI6Il9vcmlnaW5hbHMvOGViMGJjY2YtZjAyNC00NjFhLThlNmUtZWJkMjE5MGE1ZmNmL2FtZXJpY2FuLXJpdmVyLXdhdGVyc2hlZC5wbmciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjY0MH0sInBuZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo4MCwiYWRhcHRpdmVGaWx0ZXJpbmciOnRydWV9fX0=
yeah, and let's not forget that Folsom Dam's specific purpose is FLOOD CONTROL. The lake/reservoir is bonus.

Without Folsom Dam, Sacramento would be a 3" tall 30 mile wide wading pool.

Sacramento has a higher flood risk rating than New Orleans, if that helps give some perspective.

We've been hoping that you folks in Northern California are making it through all this okay. Down the I-80 road here in the Salt Lake City area we have been getting the leftovers. Our mountains are sure loving it.

Be safe. Drink the cheap stuff in the pantry first.
there's mixing and sipping kinds. the cheap stuff gives you bad headaches and cotton mouth.

Back