No vegetarian recipe section?

BruceB_AlbanyNY

We try to eat healthy, and often have vegetarian dishes as a main course. I was looking for some recipes, but the other "non-meat" sections have lots of dishes with meat. It would be convenient to find a meatless section for recipes.

Hi Bruce, WELCOME

I have posted quite a lot of recipes on this site and sorry to say, never thought anyone would look here for vegetarian dishes. I know I have posted a lot of meatless recipes here, but I do not know if they would be considered vegetarian.

The general theme is bbq based, and grilling...........
Yes veggies grill too.
At my house we also eat fairly healthy but we like to eat bbq style meat in regular portions.
Not trying to be rude, I personally don't know if I have seen recipes specifically for vegetarian here.
Now I am sure lots of people do cook like that on here and some will post with pictures.
You could be one of them, show us how to do it....we may not know and I am sure most are like me......I love veggies.
Lots of people make fabulous things others have never seen and it gives us a chance to share and others do 100% copy these cooks.
Its a pretty good time when you make someone's recipe and it comes out delicious.

Just to clarify, we don't have an "Other Non-Meat" section, we have an "Other Main Dishes" section defined as, "Pizza, pasta, lasagna, casseroles, or other main courses that do not fit neatly into Pork, Beef, Poultry, Seafood, or Other Meats."

When I started the forum back in 2000, I adopted the typical recipe categorization of that time and tossed everything "vegetable" into "Side Dishes". I know that has changed in many ways and that vegetable-based dishes can be the star of the show and not just a side.

In 2013, I started a subforum called Healthy Grilling. I kept it open for 5 years and closed it in 2018, moving its posts into the Grilling forum. It never got much traction, it got a few posts from members managing diabetes and heart disease. (Most are still alive and kicking, I think!)

It's always a challenge to decide how granular to get with forums. The more forums you have, the more overwhelming it can appear when scanning the homepage. Too few forums and that's not good, either. In the past, when I've seen a surge in actual posting about a subject, I've created a new forum and moved existing posts into it. That would be my tendency here, too.

One way to begin to address this is to post vegetarian main dishes (especially grilled one, but not exclusively) in the Other Main Course Recipes forum and tag them "vegetarian" and "meatless". If we get a good number of them, it will be easy to move them into a new forum using the tags.

Thanks for your idea, Bruce. I'm always looking to make the forums more useful.

P.S. I checked and we don't have a single post or recipe tagged "vegetarian" or "meatless".

Last edited:
Thanks, Chris. Maybe I'll start a trend. I LOVE steak, bacon, etc. But I do enjoy a grilled veggie sandwitch, with zuchini, eggplant, roasted red peppers, and grilled hallumi cheese on a crusty bread, with fresh tomatoes, lettuce, mayo, etc.

I’ve been a vegetarian since April 1984 (although I do eat seafood). I’m not vegan, so I’ll eat dairy (get your hands off my cannoli!). Honestly, I never really noticed that there isn’t a vegetarian section. I don’t care if someone else is cooking meat on the same grill, I’ll throw on veggie burgers or veggie dogs (although I find those “better than” and “beyond” -type things to be an overpriced abomination; they’re way too processed and straying away from being actual food), we’ll skewer vegetables, roast endive, and of course make apizza (the local term). I found a good recipe for vegetarian sausage online and I might throw some of those on the grill. I guess where I’m going is that if I’m looking for veggie recipes, I’ll look in the veggie section. Pizza has its own section. I’m not sure there wouldn’t just be too much overlap to sustain a separate section, but I’m willing to be proved wrong.

Whether we get a vegetarian section or not, I see this as a wonderful progression. Fifty years ago when I started grilling nobody I knew grilled anything but meat. Then some tried fish and vegetables gradually entered the scene. I embraced the veggies/fruits and cannot imagine not grilling asparagus zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, pineapple, peaches …. For those who don’t want to eat meat, I see no reason for them to not experience grilled food in whatever form they choose. If I hadn’t ventured past just meat, I would have missed out on a lot of Great food. Sometimes Progress can be Good!

We try to eat healthy, and often have vegetarian dishes as a main course. I was looking for some recipes, but the other "non-meat" sections have lots of dishes with meat. It would be convenient to find a meatless section for recipes.
Methinks that I smell a wabbit......

As a poster of a lot of recipes, I don't mind admitting that I am not sure just what the difference is between a vegetarian and a vegan. So none of the recipes I post are labeled as such. But,......I think there are some people that will not bother looking at a recipe that was labeled either of those categories. So, I would like to help you all out, but not sure how to go about it. I guess you will have to check EVERY recipe I post and see for yourself if you can eat it. (lol) (just a little humor there trying to drum up viewers for my posts, not intended to hurt anyone) ;)

At the beginning of the year my wife and I dried out and ate vegetarian for January. The first few days were rough but after that I didn't really miss the meat or the booze. We both enjoyed how we felt and a little weight loss so we decided to eat vegetarian at least three nights a week. The booze, well, I try my best.

I guess I should start posting some vegetarian cooks. As I understand it Joan, vegetarian is pretty simple. No meat. Vegan is nothing involving or produced by animals. So no milk, cheese, eggs, gelatin, etc. A whole other level of commitment. My wife would give me up before she gave up cheese so we don't do the full vegan thing.

We are having vegetarian sandwiches tonight with eggplant as the star. About to fire up the gill. We got a large one so the rest will become babaganoush. But fear not, beef belly and chuck roast on the menu tomorrow!

At the beginning of the year my wife and I dried out and ate vegetarian for January. The first few days were rough but after that I didn't really miss the meat or the booze. We both enjoyed how we felt and a little weight loss so we decided to eat vegetarian at least three nights a week. The booze, well, I try my best.

I guess I should start posting some vegetarian cooks. As I understand it Joan, vegetarian is pretty simple. No meat. Vegan is nothing involving or produced by animals. So no milk, cheese, eggs, gelatin, etc. A whole other level of commitment. My wife would give me up before she gave up cheese so we don't do the full vegan thing.

We are having vegetarian sandwiches tonight with eggplant as the star. About to fire up the gill. We got a large one so the rest will become babaganoush. But fear not, beef belly and chuck roast on the menu tomorrow!
I guess I don't have to worry about DH going vegan. lol

Thanks Gary ;)

I asked a guy who professed to be a serious griller/smoker I asked how he managed to smoke zucchini, he replied “just keep lightin’ it and inhale really hard!” He was an interesting guy, shared some very nice sausage with the rest of the staff.
Retail had its moment.

Back